Ade

STS Imports - Cheap way to import goods from USA

For anyone that wants to import good from the USA, I highly recommend STS imports.

For those of you that don't know, when you import goods to the UK from North America, you pay 3-5% import duty on Automotive items and the further 20% VAT on the top of that.

Here is an example shipped via courier:

A nice set of wheels might cost ~$1200, but shipping is $600 on top of that. Bringing to the total to $1800 or about £1200.

When they arrive in the UK they have 4.5% duty => £54 and VAT (20%) => £240 and also a fee for bringing them through customs. 

Bring the total to about £1500

Here is the same example shipped via STS Imports:

Now the way STS imports work is you have the goods sent to their warehouse in Florida and they get put on their next container (usually one every 6 weeks) and delivered to their UK warehouse in Chelmsford Essex about 3 weeks later. From there you can either pick the goods up or arrange for STS to send them on to your address of choice. STS imports charges vary depending on the item, but for a set of wheels it cost me £100 + VAT and import duty.

So going back to the example of the $1200 wheels. You can get them shipped at a low cost inside the USA usually for something like $50 to their Florida address. So about £850

You then wait for them to arrive and RON will bill you. In the case above it would be £100 for the service + import (£38) + VAT (£170) + shipping within the UK (£50). So the total cost would be £258

Bring the total cost getting the wheels here using STS imports as £850 + £258 = ~ £1100

That a massive £400 saving if you don't mind waiting. 

I used STS imports to bring over some wheels from Canada as I couldn't find a distributor in the UK for them.

Ron, owner of STS, tells me that the massive savings come from importing large heavy and/or bulky items. 

I got their details from a friend who imports a lot of stuff for his Ford Mustang which includes, wheels, exhausts, suspension and body parts. 

If anyone is interested in using STS Imports, you can find there info on their main website:

Just pop ron@stsimports.co.uk an email before you buy to discuss your needs.

Thanks for reading Thumbs Up