Rich

Rich's Ginger 86

So it's time to start a build thread, for my ginger 86, which has become known as "Max Weapon" since the plate more or less spells that, and I like it in an 80s action hero kind of way.

Previously I'd fitted a K&N drop in air filter, but today he got his first proper mod, a new exhaust manifold and overpipe. I'd like to post pics, but in the excitement of trying to get it done myself before my garage time ran out I forgot to take any. I also forgot to put the undertrays back on, oops. Guess I'll be under the car on axle stands tomorrow for that. I'll try to snap a pic of the manifold while I'm at it.

Also planned for today was a Milltek secondary cat back, but that was stumped as I couldn't get the midpipe to join to the stock front pipe correctly. Any hints from anyone who has fitted one?

Results so far are fairly minimal noise wise. Since I'm running the majority of the stock pipe it's not gotten much louder. There's a definite change in tone from the UEL manifold though. Looking forward to the proper sound when I get the cat back on.
Not noticed a big difference in power either really, but I'm due in for a remap at TD next weekend, so I think that will be when I properly feel it.

Hi, I was also under the car this weekend refitting all my pipes (on my ginger!) - I've replaced the stock front pipe and it uses a doughnut gasket-style joint. Does your milltek potentially have a flat flange connector on it? If it does, might just be a bit trickier connecting the two pipes.

Good choice on the uel - makes the car sound so much better!

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

Hi, I was also under the car this weekend refitting all my pipes (on my ginger!) - I've replaced the stock front pipe and it uses a doughnut gasket-style joint. Does your milltek potentially have a flat flange connector on it? If it does, might just be a bit trickier connecting the two pipes.

Good choice on the uel - makes the car sound so much better!

Yes the milltek is flat flange. According to a post on ft86club you can just pop the donut gasket off. I'm going to have a crack this afternoon I think. In the meanwhile I refitted the undertrays this morning, and got a few snaps of the new manifold in situ while I was at it. I'll post them later.

So it's time to start a build thread, for my ginger 86, which has become known as "Max Weapon" since the plate more or less spells that, and I like it in an 80s action hero kind of way.

Previously I'd fitted a K&N drop in air filter, but today he got his first proper mod, a new exhaust manifold and overpipe. I'd like to post pics, but in the excitement of trying to get it done myself before my garage time ran out I forgot to take any. I also forgot to put the undertrays back on, oops. Guess I'll be under the car on axle stands tomorrow for that. I'll try to snap a pic of the manifold while I'm at it.

Also planned for today was a Milltek secondary cat back, but that was stumped as I couldn't get the midpipe to join to the stock front pipe correctly. Any hints from anyone who has fitted one?

Results so far are fairly minimal noise wise. Since I'm running the majority of the stock pipe it's not gotten much louder. There's a definite change in tone from the UEL manifold though. Looking forward to the proper sound when I get the cat back on.

Not noticed a big difference in power either really, but I'm due in for a remap at TD next weekend, so I think that will be when I properly feel it.

Looking forward to the results. Make sure you get the dyno chart on here

10 hours ago, Lauren said:

Good stuff. No idea, sorry on the exhaust as I didn't fit mine. Someone should know though. So are you getting remapped next Saturday? I'm in on the Sunday. :)

Yes in first thing Saturday. Hopefully with a catback! ;)

Which manifold did you go for? If I ever manage to save enough I'll probably go for a catless manifold, a remap and keep the rest of the stock exhaust...

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Success! I managed to borrow the time and garage of a friend this afternoon and got my catback fitted. I also remembered to take pics. :)

The noise difference for having the catback on is phenomenal. While just having the manifold fitted made it a bit louder, it now is properly loud, with a lovely low rumble at idle which develops into a raspy roar when you boot it. :D

So, on to the pics.

First a couple of pics I took yesterday while fitting the manifold of the stock system. A bit dirty, but my car has done just over 15,000 miles.

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

A pic from this morning of the manifold before I refitted the undertrays, nice and shiny:

IMG_0772.jpg

On to this afternoon, stock stripped off and ready for the new catback.

IMG_0791.jpg

And here it is!

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

Yes I know the car really needs a wash, but fitting the exhaust had to take priority. ;)

Yes, there's heat shielding on the manifold, my cheapskate way of trying to reduce heat soak.

I'll try to get a video during the week, it's a bit late now to be revving my car up. ;)

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yes, there's heat shielding on the manifold, my cheapskate way of trying to reduce heat soak.

I'll try to get a video during the week, it's a bit late now to be revving my car up. ;)

Pffft, if your neighbours can't cope with revving at 10pm they shouldn't live near a petrolhead.

31 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Good work! Am I right in thinking that you've ditched the primary cat, but kept the second?

Yes. Stock front pipe is still in, so I have the cat there.

5 hours ago, Sideways? said:

Which manifold did you go for? If I ever manage to save enough I'll probably go for a catless manifold, a remap and keep the rest of the stock exhaust...

I have the 1320 performance manifold and overpipe.

Update time! I was down at TD in Warrington today for a remap. Turns out my car makes good power from the factory as it made 205 BHP before mapping. A remap has taken that to 216 BHP and smoothed out the torque curve nicely. Not had a proper blast yet as Saturday traffic wasn't the best, but power delivery feels a bit smoother so far.

A quick pic I snapped earlier. Dyno charts to follow when Mike sends them to me. ;)

IMG_0798.jpg

17 minutes ago, Foulsmell said:

I take it that 205 from the factory is with the mani and catback in place though.

How was the torque increase?

Yes, the 205 is with the exhaust bits on, but that's still pretty good for a few bolt ons, means it must have been making close to 200 stock I think.

Torque is good, very good. On the dyno it's hitting 170 lb-ft peak, but it's over 160 from 4000 right through to 7000, and it's above 150 from 2500 up. Went for a bit of a blast just now and it's really nice to drive, so much better than it was.

I also tried to record the exhaust sound for those interested, but my phone mangled it too badly. I'll have to have a try with the phone further from the car or try my proper camera.

Good stuff. Will be interesting to see what mine makes today without the benefit of a manifold. Technically all being the same I ought to be 4bhp down on you as mine is 201bhp without the remap. But, we shall see. :)  

On 13/03/2016 at 8:34 AM, Nicebiscuit said:

Very interested in this - especially if you're keeping the stock secondary cat... Will have to grab a passenger ride once you're all done...

Welcome to come out for a ride at the TD open day. :)

On 13/03/2016 at 8:34 AM, Nicebiscuit said: Very interested in this - especially if you're keeping the stock secondary cat... Will have to grab a passenger ride once you're all done...

Welcome to come out for a ride at the TD open day.

Yes please.