Sign in to follow this  
adam_d

Fuel pump chirp, just live with it?

Hi everyone,

My 15 plate GT86 has made the fuel pump chirp very loudly since I got it. I mentioned it when the car was in for a service at the end of January as I'd seen somewhere on here a definitive fix had been made available in November (can't find that thread). They came back and said it needed a new pump and it was fitted 3 weeks or so ago.

It only ever seemed to make the noise when the temperature was above 6/7 degrees, and sure enough today the chirping is back as loudly as ever. As it's only a few weeks old, I'm not sure whether to go back or just live with it, what are the chances of it being fixed this time? It's also getting increasingly worse to get into 2nd gear, with 12000 miles on now I was hoping that would improve. The car has only had V Power in while I've had it.

I should mention I'm a bit reluctant to go back to this dealer, as the dashcam I have in the car recorded a couple of things last time that didn't fill me with confidence (like spraying pressurised fuel all over the still hot engine, revving in neutral to show off behind the workshop). That might just be me being picky and I'm not sure I can do anything with the video anyway. I don't want to name the dealer as they have been good to me in the past with my last car.

Would it be worth me getting the job done again? Any advice from anyone that knows the issue better greatly appreciated.

The short and curlies is that there isn't a fix for this issue. There is supposedly a revised pump, but it comes back eventually. So as fat as that is concerned i'd say live with it, it doesn't affect the car in any way. 

The gear issue, theres a couple of fixes. GTB found one, i'll see if i can find the thread later. I had my lockout plate adjusted and transmission oil changed which made the world of difference. It hasn't fixed it completely, it still does it when cold going from 2nd to 1st but it's no big deal. the issue is when you're in the middle of your TSS runs and the f*cker won't go from 3rd to 2nd at woodbridge!

Thanks guys, I think I'll just stick with the chirp then instead of pushing any further.

22 hours ago, rob275 said:

the issue is when you're in the middle of your TSS runs and the f*cker won't go from 3rd to 2nd at woodbridge!

Aye that's a bit more of an issue than mine, I just look like a plank not being able to get 2nd at the end of my street on mornings. Gearbox oil change might be my first port of call I think.

7 hours ago, adam_d said:

Aye that's a bit more of an issue than mine, I just look like a plank not being able to get 2nd at the end of my street on mornings. Gearbox oil change might be my first port of call I think.

I've always had the issues of changing down third to second at the end of my road, first thing in the morning. It's much the same if I stop and select first. I find I generally have to have a couple of attempts to get it in gear. But after that, it's fine. It tends to be a bit less of an issue when the temperatures warm a bit. But I think everyone pretty much has this.

Whilst I get it's an annoyance every morning on the way to work for the once or twice it happens, I think all you can do is live with it. It's fine after all once it warms a little.  

Mine is very stiff into first when cold, it's a case of full stop and give it a couple of tries usually. No problems with the other gears, and it's all fine when it warms up.

Its the high pressure direct injection pump that chirps, I'm pretty sure all the aftermarket upgrades are for the lower pressure supply pump so they won't exterminate the budgies!

12 hours ago, DanJ said:

Its the high pressure direct injection pump that chirps, I'm pretty sure all the aftermarket upgrades are for the lower pressure supply pump so they won't exterminate the budgies!

Correct