Being an ex Codemasters employee, this brings back memories and I've always loved the rally games, even if I would work on them day in day out, I'd still play them once the game was released.  All that is behind me now but I still have friends in the company which are hyping the next DiRT Rally game (sadly missed the early access as it was just for PC and don't tend to game that much with my PC) and has been very successful thus far.  The console version is due out soon and after I told my mate that I was planning on building a racing frame for my Logitech G29, which I picked up from Curry's at a very good price, he gave me a shout out on their DiRT Rally Road Book blog site, I decided to send him some pics of what I had done so far and this is what he's posted up:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember last week, when Keith posted in the PS4 Gossip Thread about planning his custom built racing  frame? Well, he’s pulled his metaphorical finger out and started work on his masterpiece. Building a custom frame isn’t unprecedented, but Keith has gone to incredible lengths to get his just right. He’s a member of the GT86 Drivers Club, but by day he spends his time scanning cars and producing 3D models. This put him in the perfect position to replicate the feeling of being behind the wheel of his own car:

“I used a 3D scanning system (laser line scanner) and our software (PolyWorks) to scan the interior of my GT86, followed by scanning of the Logitech G29 peripherals.

6 - Overlay 3 5 - Overlay 2 2 - GT86 Scan 1 11 - Final Racing Frame 4

Once I had finished scanning, I then manually aligned, by eye, the scans of the G29 parts to their relative positions within my car.  Once roughly aligned, I could then use PolyWorks to measure the mating faces and fixture holes so I could then export that information out into a CAD package called Solidworks.  From there, I could then design the frame around these key locations using primarily 30x30mm aluminium extrusions.”

How cool is that?! If you’re working on your own custom build, or if you just want to share your home setup with us, feel free to get at us in the usual places.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original - https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/blog/5470

I asked him to give the club a shout out and he did, what a legend.  I've pretty much finished the design, just getting prices for parts etc which has been a bit of a mission, might end up sourcing the aluminium extrusions locally but then buy the brackets and what not from china as its a lot cheaper, the extrusion would be too but shipping is the killer really.  Can't wait to get this made and to play DiRT!

I played Colin McRae Rally 2 and 3 to death, ddin't like 4 as much and really didn;t like the Dirt series afterwards,, it all went a bit too arcadey on the handling for me after that.

Nice work on the gaming rig anyway, I'd do something similar myself if I had t the room, but its not a valid reason to kick my lodger out and adat their room :-)

Thanks all

Sadly not Rob, many years ago I found a car seat in my brothers attic which has some nice support/bolsters, so I scanned it and planned on doing this back when I first started working at 3D Scanners but nothing came of it, mainly because I didn't have a steering wheel. The plan was to get a Fanatec wheel but then I started to spend money on the car and track days etc. If I find an 86 seat going reasonably cheap I may consider it.

I agree that the DiRT series went a bit too arcadie but the new DiRT is supposed to be back to its glory days of proper rallying.

13 hours ago, Keethos said:

I agree that the DiRT series went a bit too arcadie but the new DiRT is supposed to be back to its glory days of proper rallying.

I've got it on PC and yes it is waaaaaaaaaaaay more sim focused on rallying than the crap before it

Well....I can confirm that Dirt Rally is awesome and bloody solid....it's taken me a while to get to grips with the handling but it's very challenging and even unforgiving with the likes of the challenge modes (daily challenge is one stage one try, weekly is 6 stages one try and the monthly is 24 stages one try) where you can get right to the end of say the monthly challenge of 24 stages and then write your car off just before the end and not finishing.  One of the really cool things about the game though is when you've done a challenge, you can visit the dirt website https://www.dirtgame.com/telemetry/0 and actually watch either your run or other people's runs from a top down perspective.  See when they were accelerating, braking and hand braking.  What's cool about this is also the fact that it was a tool that was originally developed so the developers can monitor and check if people had been cheating at all, but then released how cool it was to visualise people's inputs for a top down replay that they made it an actual thing that people can use.