long-gone

VSC Sport mode

Do many here use vsc sport mode?

I find it useless and way more intrusive than 'regular' mode. Traction control cuts in aggressively when pulling away sharply, especially right turn T-junctions. Same has happened more than once pressing on in bends at or near the limit - it's alarming and potentially dangerous.

Normal mode this never happens, though TCS has saved my blushes on a few occasions and 'all off' is great for proper hooning.

Can't decide whether it's a fault and mine's broken, poorly designed/implemented or just doesn't suit my driving style.

Anyone else share this opinion?

Edited by daidaiiro
to clarify vsc sport mode on manual

when you say sport are you referring to vsc sport? as that allows some sideways action with a safety net, normal ie every aid on barely lets you go sideways without interferring

my vsc sport hasn't cut in aggressively when pulling away sharply but normal mode has

Got Yokahama V Drives on mine, can't say it's much different to the Primacy's i use in summer. No experience with Primacy's in cold conditions tho. As said above, it is vsc sport and not sport mode on the auto?

Normal driving mode is very aggressive with me, the slightest little spin up and it stops straight away. I drive 95% of the type with the vsc sport mode on, just because it's a little bit more lenient, and a lot more fun, but I know I'll still be safe if I lose control 

I always switch VSC Sport on when I drive. I find it much better than with everything on, when all the driving aids on I find them too aggressive. Any hint of wheel slip and it cuts in hard. 

Perhaps you could find some other members local to you, and get together for a comparison.

I've had a couple of "hmm, not sure about that" moments with the TC etc, so at some point I'll be trying to get a comparison with other cars.

Ive had the back end out to almost 90* in both directions with vsc sport on.. it was all set to throw me off the road untill I let off the throttle. However on the same drive it didnt spin up when puling off..  saying that, I never pull away very hard but I am supercharged too on stock tyres.

Normal mode scares the crap out of me when it cuts in so abruptly sometimes. In VSC sport I find it allows more angle for a slide and if I over step the mark it cuts in softer. 

Just a tip, but I generally drive most of the time in VSC sport mode. However, if I know I'm going to likely need to turn right out of a junction quickly, I also turn the traction control off (one press on the traction control button which is the left one) as otherwise the traction control will curtail a quick exit. 

The traction control will come on again when you exceed a true 50 km/h. 

The reality of VSC Sport Mode though, is that it does allow a little slip, but really not very much. The car is far better with everything turned off, but obviously you need to know what you're doing. If you're going fast down an A or B road, then it's fine generally in Sport Mode as you don't want much slip anyway at higher speeds, at least not on the public road. But at lower speeds it's more of a pain. 

I've always had it in sport mode (it slightly annoys me if that lights aren't on) except the first week or so I had the car. At times it seems to cut in early but if you're progressive with the rear sliding out it usually lets you carry on. I have had a slight slide where it stepped in after a while which was rather annoying, yet it's also let me get very sideways on the motorway and I'm not 100% it did a lot to stop it!

I like the VSC as it is at the moment. I'm not good enough to catch every slither or slide, and it lets me know when I'm being too brave, but only after I missed my moment to control the loss of grip. The default is too locked down, I think they should have a paranoid button rather than a sport button.

The sport mode is in its element at high speeds when you are on decent roads. Took my car round the evo triangle with my mate in his 350z and in sport mode you get a kick and slide but don't have to correct it to keep going. You need to try it at a decent speed I think to see what it's for. Pulling away at junctions and lights is not what the system was designed for. You need to learn throttle control of you are having issues there because even with it off in the wet you should be able to pull away cleanly without sliding. Maybe your tyres are the issue?

I think you may be right.

I don't get an issue in standard mode because I'm not pressing on and expecting too much in vsc/sport mode in pseudo-normal driving. TRC off is fine. I'm well used to having full control from my TVR days and the 350Z. Griff had no TC, loads more grunt & less weight and the zed was either on or off IIRC.

On 06/03/2016 at 8:59 PM, Lauren said:

If you're going fast down an A or B road, then it's fine generally in Sport Mode as you don't want much slip anyway at higher speeds, at least not on the public road. But at lower speeds it's more of a pain

Again, pretty sure this may be the case.

------------------------

When I'm on a proper hoon I switch off properly and have no issues, barring my experience/skill < enthusiasm.

I'll stop blaming the tool and learn how to manage it properly.

I think Paul has nailed it. Most of the time the way the system acts is described at low speeds. Not when you are really 'on it' 

Good tip on turning off traction control Lauren I've never thought about doing that at a junction. That would of helped me on a couple of occasions in the past. 

I have read the explanation on this (and other) forum for what the TC and VSC Sport does. My problem is that even when these functions are not disabled, the rear of my 2015 model goes into a skid with a degree of regularity on wet(ish) roads, even on straight road and at low speed, but mostly on corners or pull-away - even when I'm going really slow. Any advice?

1 minute ago, jozijacks said:

I have read the explanation on this (and other) forum for what the TC and VSC Sport does. My problem is that even when these functions are not disabled, the rear of my 2015 model goes into a skid with a degree of regularity on wet(ish) roads, even on straight road and at low speed, but mostly on corners or pull-away - even when I'm going really slow. Any advice?

Change tyres!