Jason_E

The Tyre Thread

49 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I admit, I haven't tried the current F1's though in a way I have, driving Keith's turbo GT on track with 245's. F1s tend to be soft on the sidewall and don't tend to take track abuse well. Great for the road though, probably.  

May have changed my mind already, turns out V105's are only £120 a corner for 245/35/18. Will be grabbing those! 

F1s are a great road tyre, and quiet. But they're soft as well so they'll wear quickly and melt on track. I'd have them if my car was just for road use.

10 hours ago, Lauren said:

But he's taking his car on track, Rob. :P

Finding a good compromise has been fairly difficult. Especially as there's relatively little choice in 245/35/18. Admittedly I am worried about the road noise from the V105s as they're apparently 5dB louder than my current tyres. 

9 hours ago, Rich said:

F1s are a great road tyre, and quiet. But they're soft as well so they'll wear quickly and melt on track. I'd have them if my car was just for road use.

Still keeping the Goodyears in mind, but the wear is a concern for me. Especially since I've managed to get through 3mm of tread on my Vredesteins in the 2500 miles I've done since December :lol:

Sidewall flex will also feel different depending on how hard your suspension is, so a 245/40 may be better in some cases and should only be 5mm taller than 235/40. But rim width again changes the sidewall shape, minefield springs to mind :)

34 minutes ago, KevinA said:

Sidewall flex will also feel different depending on how hard your suspension is, so a 245/40 may be better in some cases and should only be 5mm taller than 235/40. But rim width again changes the sidewall shape, minefield springs to mind :)

245/40/18 is 4.3% faster than stock. Combined with a 4.55 final drive it could work well though.... hmmmm

13 minutes ago, rob275 said:

As do I and I find them fine. Better than the sportmaxx I had anyway, they didn't last very long at all.

Well, they did kinda explode on you :lol:

24 minutes ago, Mark-in-Stoke said:

Just ordered a pair of GY F1 asym3's for the front, supposedly better than the 2's, will be well impressed if they are.

Tyreleader was the cheapest btw.

What size? 

No mention of Hankook here?  Just for information, the Ventus V12 Evo is the best tyre I've used on previous cars after trying Toyo, Bridgestone, Goodyear etc.  They grip like glue on cornering and are very confidence inspiring in the wet.  Falken Azenis not bad but a little way behind.

no mention of Pilot Sport 4 either? from experience on a high powered bmw I found them better than the OE super sports! Would Deffo be my tyre of choice if I didnt want the looks of the AD08R which also doesnt seem to have been mentioned :blink:

PS4 vs PSS 
fair bit cheaper
quieter
massively better in cold and wet
similar amazing performance in the dry 
more progressive feeling 

EDIT: Missed a page :lol::lol:

On 2/12/2017 at 2:31 PM, TTR said:

Is anybody running on 245/40/18? Really want Pilot Sport 4's, but they don't come in a 245/35/18 fitment :( 

they do now :)

On 01/02/2018 at 2:37 PM, br0wny said:

they do now :)

Yeah I know haha, but thanks! :)

Road tyres and track days don't gel for me anymore :lol:, so sticking with R&T hybrids! (AD08R's).