Nicebiscuit

The Exhaust Thread

3 hours ago, Willtl said:

Picked up the car earlier, drove a short distance home (about 1.5 miles) and my head doesn't feel quite right. :(

Just wondering, have you blocked the noise generator tube? I had the same sort of thing after fitting my Milltek system and found plugging the tube helped quite a bit.

You don't need anything special, I just plugged mine up with the 12v cigarette lighter cap from the glovebox.

3 hours ago, Willtl said: Picked up the car earlier, drove a short distance home (about 1.5 miles) and my head doesn't feel quite right.

Just wondering, have you blocked the noise generator tube? I had the same sort of thing after fitting my Milltek system and found plugging the tube helped quite a bit.

You don't need anything special, I just plugged mine up with the 12v cigarette lighter cap from the glovebox.

Good shout I did that to come to think of it as you don't need both.

3 hours ago, Willtl said: Picked up the car earlier, drove a short distance home (about 1.5 miles) and my head doesn't feel quite right.

Where about is this tube? Getting a bit depressed thinking about the money I've spent getting the exhaust and fitting, returning to stock, buying a resonated pipe and then paying for the Milltek to be put back on. I'll give this a try (if someone can advise where to find it) but after that I think it will be back to stock and just not touch the car anymore.

55 minutes ago, Willtl said:

Where about is this tube? Getting a bit depressed thinking about the money I've spent getting the exhaust and fitting, returning to stock, buying a resonated pipe and then paying for the Milltek to be put back on. I'll give this a try (if someone can advise where to find it) but after that I think it will be back to stock and just not touch the car anymore. emoji20.png

Certainly worth a try, let us know how you get on. :)

Thanks. I will look at this next time I use the car. Yesterday's trip left me with a kind of pressure feeling at the back of my head and a bit of a "buzzing" sensation and a headache this morning (probably due to a combination of those things and lack of sleep). I've booked the car in to have the stock exhaust returned on Monday but will cancel if blocking the noise generator tube does the trick.

Just out of interest, is the noise "piped" in impacted by the exhaust (i.e. now possibly louder than it was due to the Milltek being on)? I am sceptical about this giving me the improvement I need, but it will cost me nothing to try.

@Willtl The noise generator is taken from the intake so the exhaust should have no impact. To block it there is a cap/plug covering the 12v socket in the glovebox that perfectly blocks the sound generator hole behind the pedals.

56 minutes ago, AJ124 said:

@Willtl The noise generator is taken from the intake so the exhaust should have no impact. To block it there is a cap/plug covering the 12v socket in the glovebox that perfectly blocks the sound generator hole behind the pedals.

Thanks. I think unless this piped noise is increasing the total cabin volume, it probably isn't going to make any difference when I cut it off. It won't hurt to try though....

29 minutes ago, Willtl said:

Thanks. I think unless this piped noise is increasing the total cabin volume, it probably isn't going to make any difference when I cut it off. It won't hurt to try though....

The noise generator tube pumps engine noise directly into the cabin, sounds like it's more likely to be the cause. Took mine out after just a few days, hateful thing.

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

The noise generator tube pumps engine noise directly into the cabin, sounds like it's more likely to be the cause. Took mine out after just a few days, hateful thing.

Prior to changing exhausts (and when returning to stock) I have no problem.

I had a similar problem on my old Dc5 with the buddyclub4 exhaust. It was loudish but it was not the the noise that bothered me, it was certain revs it would create a weird vibration or something and I would get a headache and a weird taste in the back of my throat. I ditched the exhaust almost straight away. I have had loud exhausts before just something made me ill with that particular one. Sounds like something similar here.

2 hours ago, alucardo said:

I had a similar problem on my old Dc5 with the buddyclub4 exhaust. It was loudish but it was not the the noise that bothered me, it was certain revs it would create a weird vibration or something and I would get a headache and a weird taste in the back of my throat. I ditched the exhaust almost straight away. I have had loud exhausts before just something made me ill with that particular one. Sounds like something similar here.

I think you are spot on, unfortunately. I had the same issue with a TVR, I'd just hoped that switching from non-resonated to resonated on the BRZ would fix this for me, but clearly not. In other news, my stock pile of parts that I can't use and seemingly no one wants to buy will be growing. If anyone has any ideas for "exhaust sculptures", let me know. Ideally you will also have a buyer for said sculpture.

Will, if you have loads of parts and need to shift them you should put them up in the "For Sale" section of the forum. Apologies if you've done already!

9 minutes ago, Paul said:

Will, if you have loads of parts and need to shift them you should put them up in the "For Sale" section of the forum. Apologies if you've done already!

I tried to sell the non resonated originally, but lack of success lead me to have another stab. I will put them all up again soon (plus on Pistonheads, Gumtree and another couple of forums) for a knock down price. I just want to see the back of them now (plus my wife wants the space in the garage).

I had a buddyclub prospec on my last EP3 Type R. My hearing hasn't been right ever since.. it was mental loud (in a good way) but I used to do 200 mile journeys in it. The drone killed my ears :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Gringosteve said:

I had a buddyclub prospec on my last EP3 Type R. My hearing hasn't been right ever since.. it was mental loud (in a good way) but I used to do 200 mile journeys in it. The drone killed my ears :(

Truly awful exhausts.

Plus side the Tuning developments exhaust I now have on GT does not do this.

I ended up keeping the exhaust stock other than removing the second cat and the foam out of the sound tube. Gives it a bit more bark inside and out. But no drone and doesn't make the neighbours cry

2 minutes ago, CGR Automotive said:

We've currently got some exhaust systems in-stock if anyone's interested. They're normally on a 4-5 week lead time but we have a couple available here;

We got the message when you posted the first time ;)

Anyone running the Ark GRiP? I always fancied one on my 350Z but a combo of lead times and a need to replace quickly prevented that.

I'm looking for quiet as stock 90% of the time but a little bit anti social when driving enthusiastically, I'm highly allergic to both drone and rasp,

11 minutes ago, Stutopia said:

Anyone running the Ark GRiP? I always fancied one on my 350Z but a combo of lead times and a need to replace quickly prevented that.

I'm looking for quiet as stock 90% of the time but a little bit anti social when driving enthusiastically, I'm highly allergic to both drone and rasp,

I think @GT86-Ian did have an ark grip?

Loved my old Ark grip exhaust, fitted to my turbo car it was louder than stock but not stupid. The guy I sold the exhaust to found it too bassy at low rpm but that might be down to his car being fitted with a sprintex . If your after an exhaust that gets louder when  your on the gas this might not be the one for you, going through tunnels my ark grip was never loud but people say turbo cars do quieten the sound.

http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/ark-grip-catback-exhaust_topic3317.html

8 minutes ago, GT86-Ian said:

Loved my old Ark grip exhaust, fitted to my turbo car it was louder than stock but not stupid. The guy I sold the exhaust to found it too bassy at low rpm but that might be down to his car being fitted with a sprintex . If your after an exhaust that gets louder when  your on the gas this might not be the one for you, going through tunnels my ark grip was never loud but people say turbo cars do quieten the sound.

http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/ark-grip-catback-exhaust_topic3317.html

Thanks for the info, and especially the link with vids, much appreciated. I think that sounds rather good once the cold start drops and you get a nice rumble.