Nicebiscuit

The Exhaust Thread

This thread is for sharing your experiences with all the various bits that make up the 86 exhaust system from engine to tailpipe. So manifolds, overpipes, centre pipes, primary cat backs, secondary cat backs, resonated, non resonated and very possibly lemon-scented. And the other possibilities I've forgotten.

Was is good value, does it sound good, does it actually help power, does it get on your nerves on the motorway? And do you know if it'll get through an MOT?

Share your shiny stainless pipes!

I've got a Cobra non-res catback on mine with black slash cut tips. It was a little loud when I first had it but the sound has mellowed and having the cold start mapped out is a big help. I've also still got all of the cats. In terms of added power I doubt it (maybe a couple of hp being optimistic)

I like the sound and it's not too intrussive for daily use or just cruising on the motorway. I've added a couple of videos below of in car and out of car on track to give an idea of how the exhaust sounds.

In car:-

Out of car:-

Obviously the GoPro doesn't have the greatest mike to give the most accurate sound but it does give you an idea.

I have the Decatted HKS manifold, with the miltek overpipe, Berk front pipe and HKS Legamax S-Tail exhaust kit.

love the sound, not too aggressive until you really rev if up. Benefits wise the 4-2-1 manifold definitely helped great rid of the torque dip and overall weight saving from the OEM parts.

Downside being the issue of an MOT fail with the Berk front pipe. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have the Cobrasport resonated catback system with the Cobrasport overpipe in place,its now a lot quieter after few weeks of driving,it starts combining the sound between my Blitz intake when going past the 4.5k rev line which sounds fantastic.

Ive got a custom built catback with secondary cat delete and 4" Titanium style tips. I asked the guys to put in a dummy cat so it may sneak past an MOT or visual inspection if needed.

System is brutally loud on a cold start but once warm it purrs, and doesn't drone on the motorway whatsoever.

Considering getting a decat manifold in the near future and maybe putting back in a HFC in the main pipe. 

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

the primary cat is in the manifold so they have to pass it because they cannot visually see it underneath and are not allowed to remove anything to check, mine passed even with secondary decat

1 hour ago, Merich22 said:

Oh really? Thanks bud, I never knew that! 

yep, I was talking with the guy doing my MOT and he said he had a diesel come in and was 90% sure it was decatted due to the typical diesel turbo whistle once they are decatted but he couldn't prove it due to not being allowed to remove any of the undertray to look where the cat should've been 

1 minute ago, Tareim said:

yep, I was talking with the guy doing my MOT and he said he had a diesel come in and was 90% sure it was decatted due to the typical diesel turbo whistle once they are decatted but he couldn't prove it due to not being allowed to remove any of the undertray to look where the cat should've been 

That's always handy to know. Would it not still fail on emissions though with no cats? The car wont need MOT'd for another 2 years anyway, but saves having to swap parts out come that time! 

Mine also passed its first MOT with a secondary decat. The manifold cat seems to do more for emissions than the secondary, as I don't know of anyone who's failed with the stock manifold in place, but plenty of people who've failed with a decat manifold and secondary cat in place.

With no cats you would absolutely fail emissions, so you either need a friendly MOT tester, or a cat to swap in come MOT time.

When you guys are swapping to decat manifolds... Do you get a fault code straight away? And if so what are you doing other than remapping to get rid of it? 

2 minutes ago, Tom B said:

When you guys are swapping to decat manifolds... Do you get a fault code straight away? And if so what are you doing other than remapping to get rid of it? 

I've not swapped mine yet, but I'm planning to get a remap to get rid of it.

37 minutes ago, Merich22 said:

That's always handy to know. Would it not still fail on emissions though with no cats? The car wont need MOT'd for another 2 years anyway, but saves having to swap parts out come that time! 

for the diesel no because they are not emissions tested but for our cars yes we would fail with no cats

I've got a Tomei UEL manifold, Tomei overpipe, Tomei Type 80 titanium front pipe and Tomei Type 80 titanium cat back and it's absolutely amazing.

It's louder than ridiculously loud, drones like hell at all times and prevents you from thinking let alone listening to music or having a conversation, top stuff!! Highly recommended.

I've got some really crap clips but once I've got the car clean (waiting for a chance to wash it) I'll get a half decent video and put it up here, watch this space.

I have a decat UEL manifold and overpipe (1320 performance), stock front pipe and Milltek non-resonated catback. It's not too loud when you're not pushing on, but as soon as you give it some throttle it really picks up. Rumbly at low revs and raspy at high revs. I gained a fair few HP overall, mostly from the manifold I think. Running 205 bhp before remapping, now 216 bhp. Not sure what my stock numbers were, but typical for a catback and air filter is around 196, so I gained maybe 9 bhp from the manifold.

Manifold:

IMG_0772.jpg

Catback:

IMG_0794.jpg

Sound Vid:

https://youtu.be/l51FvRQBHjk

3 hours ago, Tom B said:

Anyone got any vids of their cars with the second cat delete? But stock manifold? How much louder did it get without the second cat?

I don't have a video, but I have a second cat delete and custom cat back with stock manifold. It doesn't drone at all from in the cabin, but as I found out today, it's surprisingly loud from outside, as loud as most other cars at the meet with the exception of those running no cats at all. 

I'll try and get a video at some point.

5 hours ago, Tom B said:

@Rich that sounds awesome! I have a custom cat back on mine ATM, which is really deep, I'd like abit more 'rasp' like yours has! 😎

If you want to hear it in person sometime I'm sure we can arrange a meet, you're not far from me after all. :)

10 hours ago, Rich said:

If you want to hear it in person sometime I'm sure we can arrange a meet, you're not far from me after all. :)

Yeah I need to hear it in person! - If your at Japfest I'll come and have a proper look! 

I'm running a Berk HFC front pipe and Milltek Non-Res Seconday cat back setup. It does sound a little naughty on cold start up, but onces it's warmed up a bit it's relatively quiet on idle and cruise. But does have a nice bit of bark to it once the loud pedal gets exercised a bit!

Be interesting to see how much if any it changes when my new manifold and over pipe go on :)