Nicebiscuit

The Suspension Mod Thread

11 minutes ago, daidaiiro said:

Does that affect the speedometer reading by much?

According to GPS it under-read by 2mph with those tyres on. So if the car said I was doing 55 it was actually 53.

16 hours ago, Tom B said:

Quick question.... Are adjustable drop links a 'must have' when changing suspension & lowering? Or can standards be used providing their in ok condition? Would they be needed for both front and back also? :huh:

Stock ones are fine afaik

16 hours ago, Tom B said:

Quick question.... Are adjustable drop links a 'must have' when changing suspension & lowering? Or can standards be used providing their in ok condition? Would they be needed for both front and back also? :huh:

Two main advantages of adjustable ones are it allows you to set the arb preload fully and, the main one, it saves the battle to remove the stock ones! 

5 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Two main advantages of adjustable ones are it allows you to set the arb preload fully and, the main one, it saves the battle to remove the stock ones! 

Is there much point to ARB preload as surely it's only in one direction?

46 minutes ago, Mike said:

Is there much point to ARB preload as surely it's only in one direction?

Mike I think in the USA they call preload on sway roll bars when its not in the ideal 90deg (or whatever is deemed ideal) location. Its not actually loading the bar - this confused me in the past.

Another advantage of adjustable droplinks is if your car is corner weighted like mine, you will have wonky ride heights corner to corner which can load the bar at static. Having adjustable means you can adjust them so the bar is not loaded until the car rolls.

35 minutes ago, Keethos said:

I was under the impression this would depend on how much you lower by, lower too much and you would need adjustable ones.

I didn't think lowering matters just where the fixing point is on the new coilover?

Yeap I had my car corner balanced and aligned at the same time so hard to say exactly how much it makes a difference to be honest.

Cost me £160 to have corner balance, front camber and front and rear toe. Not exactly cheap. 

You can do a rough approximation yourself if you have a couple of scales capable of 400kg. What you do is weight each corner and work out based on spring rates and motion rations how much you need to lengthen (or shorten) the front passenger and rear driver side to get it to balance correctly.

Any recommendation on which front droplinks to go for when lowering a BRZ/GT86?  Fitting coilovers in the coming weeks and with the issues removing stock ones, I want to get some adjustable ones ready for when I have to chop off the old ones.