DanJ

Dan J's BRZ

17 minutes ago, DanJ said:

New (not so) shiny bits to be fitted. Should sound much less tractor esque now emoji2.pngecd53cdfb61f9f7a309b64867f96fd0b.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Gonna sound epic :D

The new manifold may be ceramic coated but this extra heat shielding can't hurt.

Good bit of cut and fold origami required to get it to fit nicely.4e483b559efbf83e410ae575d5f420cb.jpg

1 hour ago, DanJ said:

The new manifold may be ceramic coated but this extra heat shielding can't hurt.

Good bit of cut and fold origami required to get it to fit nicely.4e483b559efbf83e410ae575d5f420cb.jpg

Bite the bullet and get an oil cooler! (Or make one)

1 hour ago, DanJ said: The new manifold may be ceramic coated but this extra heat shielding can't hurt.

Bite the bullet and get an oil cooler! (Or make one)

That's already in the plan, just need the time, manifold became a must have after Bedford finished the stock one off.

@DanJ Are you running the stock second cat? Will be interested to see how loud yours is with the HKS cat back now.

No, got the Cobra HFC with the larger brick from Abbey. Will get it sound tested soon. It was 87.5db(A) static with the stock manifold, Cobra HFC and HKS catback.

Subjectively it's pretty loud, but sounds superb.

3 minutes ago, DanJ said:

No, got the Cobra HFC with the larger brick from Abbey. Will get it sound tested soon. It was 87.5db(A) static with the stock manifold, Cobra HFC and HKS catback.

Mine was 83 at Bedford with the HKS and JDL catted uel manifold so also be interesting to see what yours is

2 hours ago, DanJ said:

Same set up as me then(bar cat back), will be interested to know the db figure when you have it tested next.

On 26/08/2017 at 10:58 AM, DanJ said:

Those of you who were at Bedford in August will know that I left driving something akin to a tractor. It was definitely the manifold blowing but where from was the question?

This is the offending article. It has failed right along the heat affected zone from the weld. Very poor design!067f4013625e33fc91d203e53974eb8a.jpg

seen this a few times on SC cars , seems it fails on the stress edge when the manifold parts where stamped They only fail on Charged cars not on NA cars

Little bit of an update before I bugger off on holiday. The new exhaust setup measured 90dB using @Steeps noise meter so should be okay for most tracks, although a bit nervous about driveby at Bedford after @will300's recent experience, time will tell...

The Team Dynamics wheels I ordered as "track" wheels back in April finally turned up yesterday, they've been shod in a set of PS4s today and will go on for the winter and be for wet track days.

Didn't have time to seal them today (not making the mistake of not sealing wheels again!) so will do that when I'm back and get the Ultraleggeras sent off for a refurb.

Mine registered 90dB too but bedford still told me it was 95, so should be fine for static testing anyway at most circuits.

Could possibly try setting up a driveby noise test if we know roughly what distance it's expected to be at and we find a quiet bit of road.

We could try again at the Fox and Hounds in Whittlebury for the next meet and then use the circuit perimeter road at Silverstone for a test. It'll be pretty quiet most weekends now.

30 minutes ago, Steeps said:

Mine registered 90dB too but bedford still told me it was 95, so should be fine for static testing anyway at most circuits.

Could possibly try setting up a driveby noise test if we know roughly what distance it's expected to be at and we find a quiet bit of road.

It seems that a lot of circuits are doing away with the largely pointless static tests and just doing driveway. This makes more sense. Bedford is pretty low though. I'd base on the 98Db of Donington which is more realistic. I passed that with a TD EL manifold, resonated exhaust and no cats. 

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

Is there a standard (in terms of measuring) for drive by?

There doesn't seem to be. But pick a track like Donington which is notoriously strict on it's noise limits. The way I see it, as I passed that, I don't particularly have to worry about anywhere else. Bedford might be an issue, but I'm none too worried about that one really. 

So it really seems there is only one way to find out really. The laughable thing is, I was told at Angers that they just do driveby now. I asked the marshall what the limit was, he said he didn't know, but said I wouldn't have a problem. 

I agree that static tests are useless in terms of actual on circuit noise, but they're a much more reliable / repeatable test to give someone an idea if they're going to be borderline or way over the limit before they head out on track.

I'm not aware of any standardised procedure for driveby tests, several circuits specify it being measured at 20 metres but not all do, it'll be very dependent on meter location, wind direction and atmospherics on the day, your particular driving style / shift up/down points for your car etc etc. At Formula Student in July we were measuring 80dB(a) purely in background noise due to the wind!

11 hours ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

Have you had a retune for the new exhaust setup yet?

I'm booked in for the 10th October at Abbey for a remap.

12 hours ago, Mike said:

Is Donington strict with measurement or just enforcing? I know at Donington you wouldn't take a chance but if it's limit is high then it's not a good benchmark 

I used to work on the pitlane at Donington and there was no flexibility if a car went over the noise limits, so they are strict. 98Db driveby is not high, it's indicative of tracks that are on the lower side of noise limits. High would be 105Db.