Veejay

Seat belt shoulder guides

Hi

I collected my lovely GT86 Giallo from the dealer yesterday. It is just under a year old and has been used both as a demo model and as the sales manager's own vehicle.  When I inspected it, I saw no marks on the body work and nothing worn in the interior but then I did get in from the driver's side to take it for a test drive before agreeing to purchase.  When I got home, however, I noticed that the seat belt shoulder guide was missing on the passenger side and that it had been wrenched out so that it had pulled out the fixing stud too, leaving a small hole in the leather.  I could not possibly have seen this from where I sat in the driver's seat for the test drive and feel that the dealer should have brought it to my attention before handing over the vehicle. I know I bought it second hand but, when I rang the dealer, to report the matter less than two hours after driving away, he said he didn't think he could do anything for me.  I have left him to investigate.  It has totally ruined my excitement and pleasure at getting the vehicle as I feel cheated because the sales manager must have been aware of the damage and I feel he had a duty to point it out.  He even tried to get me to take the car without the owner's handbook, which he had lost, but I persuaded him to let me have the one from a new GT86 that was sitting in the showroom. Has anyone else had a similar experience and do you know whether the pulled out stud is covered under warranty?  I don't imagine the missing guide strap is covered so can these be purchased anywhere?  I think the dealer must have felt he got away with it because I'm a 72 year old woman who won't make a fuss but I shall go to the top if I have to.  I would really appreciate any help from fellow GT86 owners.

They should be able to get that fixed for you as you wasn't aware of it and no possibility of you causing it. If they don't grant it then i would tell them you want your money back since there is a 14 day return policy in placed still.

I noticed the same thing after I picked up my car. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the seat cover after ordering the parts with no fuss at all. Even if it was you that accidentally did it (I know it wasn't) its still a warranty repair IMO. 

They should 100% fix this for you, if they do not you are withing your rights for your money back. It's a shame that there are dealers out there who treat people like this and rightly so, probably due to your age thinks he can get away with it and won't get any confrontation. It's also in their favour to resolve the issue, otherwise name & shame the dealership on here.

Thanks to all you guys who offered advice.  I'll wait a couple of days to see if they offer anything but I don't want my money back as I want the car.  It's a special edition - one of only 86 produced.  Also, I traded in my Hyundai Coupe and they've probably shifted that on by now so I couldn't get it back.and wouldn't have a car.  I'll keep you all posted.

1 hour ago, Dan7954 said:

I noticed the same thing after I picked up my car. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the seat cover after ordering the parts with no fuss at all. Even if it was you that accidentally did it (I know it wasn't) its still a warranty repair IMO. 

That's interesting!  Does the warranty cover upholstery?

20 hours ago, Veejay said:

That's interesting!  Does the warranty cover upholstery?

I think in this case It does.. it cant fall under fair wear and tear. Its a failure In my eyes. 

My drivers side strap is being replaced/repaired on Tuesday 16th February at Motorline Gatwick under Warranty after it broke over 5 Months ago !!

It's taken this long to get Toyota GB/Japan to agree to fix it under Warranty !!!!

They say it's because I have the Custom Leather Option !

Sent from my Archos 53 Platinum using Tapatalk

This is all very interesting. My car came with the drivers' side strap broke when I first bought it, and when I went to my local dealer, they said there was no fix for it.

Now you guys are making some headway, I think it's about time I went back armed with this new information and get this fixed.

Good work everyone.

1 hour ago, Test Drives Unlimited said:

My drivers side strap is being replaced/repaired on Tuesday 16th February at Motorline Gatwick under Warranty after it broke over 5 Months ago !!

It's taken this long to get Toyota GB/Japan to agree to fix it under Warranty !!!!

Confused how that would take them longer to come to a decision :lol: It's either covered under warranty or it's not, make a damn decision!

On 06/02/2016 at 11:10 AM, Test Drives Unlimited said:

What exactly was the damage?  Did the strap break or did the stud pull out?  I'd like to tell my dealer that Motorline are doing this.  That way I can prove that the repair can be carried out under warranty although they should have had it done before they sold it to me.

I had this on my '86, passenger side strap was hanging on by only the stud that is meant to pop on and off, there was a small hole where the fixing stud should have been.

My local dealer initially tried to 'repair' this by glueing the stud back in but it obviously didn't hold. a week later it was booked in when their upholstery 'guy' was in the area and was repaired, I don't know how they did it but I believe they needed to remove the cover to do it and it has been good now for over a year.

It was covered under warranty

29 minutes ago, Palsx said:

I had this on my '86, passenger side strap was hanging on by only the stud that is meant to pop on and off, there was a small hole where the fixing stud should have been.

My local dealer initially tried to 'repair' this by glueing the stud back in but it obviously didn't hold. a week later it was booked in when their upholstery 'guy' was in the area and was repaired, I don't know how they did it but I believe they needed to remove the cover to do it and it has been good now for over a year.

It was covered under warranty

Thanks!  It's helpful to know that!