Nicebiscuit

Superchargers and fuel consumption, any views?

1 hour ago, Adamd said:

It died, sadly. Avoid HKS superchargers!

Without Cosworth, Harrop seems to be the way to go from what I've looked into. Expensive but a proper bit of kit, looks oem, in keeping with the ethos of the car, plenty of power and can be removed (if you choose) more easily than a turbo when you come to sell the car. 

Turbo options however seem to be a little less expensive, better fuel economy and still plenty of power. However, less likely to be mot legal on emissions, not as linear in power delivery.

A tough choice in which route to go. I've only started researching so I'm sure others with conversions will be able to fight the corner of each option and probably correct me on some of the above thoughts  😀

54 minutes ago, Shippers said:

Without Cosworth, Harrop seems to be the way to go from what I've looked into. Expensive but a proper bit of kit, looks oem, in keeping with the ethos of the car, plenty of power and can be removed (if you choose) more easily than a turbo when you come to sell the car. 

Sure the Harrop kit isn’t cheap but you can see where all the money goes in the quality of the engineering. I fitted mine myself and the ease it goes together shows just how much work Harrop put in during the design process. Then you’ve got the way it looks, as others have said already you honestly wouldn’t know it was after market.

Going back to the OP, I’m getting around 33mpg on a gentle commute and down to 29 or so if making progress.

19 hours ago, Shippers said:

Turbo options however seem to be a little less expensive, better fuel economy and still plenty of power. However, less likely to be mot legal on emissions, not as linear in power delivery.

A tough choice in which route to go. I've only started researching so I'm sure others with conversions will be able to fight the corner of each option and probably correct me on some of the above thoughts  😀

The HKS was one of the more appealing options in the first few years of our cars. Turned out the design was flawed and now it never gets discussed as an option for people looking at forced induction.

Personally, and I have only driven SC and standard, I'd go for a turbo next time. Yes on the right roads stretching each gear out to top revs is an awesome experience with a SC, but for the other 95% of the time I'd rather have the power delivery of a turbo (or a shorter ratioed gearbox maybe!). Overtaking in the SC GT86 was always much more of an effort than in my turboed TT which had less power and more weight. In the GT86 I found that the gear I needed to drop to to achieve the same thurst forwards meant it was more of a challenge. I drive on country roads, and overtaking spaces are limited and need to be utilised quickly. Driving at 7 tenths, the TT was faster. Driving at 9-10 tenths, the GT86 is far more rewarding AND faster, but I am no rally driver. Obviously the handling doesnt compare - I only refer to straightline performance here.

The HKS was one of the more appealing options in the first few years of our cars. Turned out the design was flawed and now it never gets discussed as an option for people looking at forced induction.

Personally, and I have only driven SC and standard, I'd go for a turbo next time. Yes on the right roads stretching each gear out to top revs is an awesome experience with a SC, but for the other 95% of the time I'd rather have the power delivery of a turbo (or a shorter ratioed gearbox maybe!). Overtaking in the SC GT86 was always much more of an effort than in my turboed TT which had less power and more weight. In the GT86 I found that the gear I needed to drop to to achieve the same thurst forwards meant it was more of a challenge. I drive on country roads, and overtaking spaces are limited and need to be utilised quickly. Driving at 7 tenths, the TT was faster. Driving at 9-10 tenths, the GT86 is far more rewarding AND faster, but I am no rally driver. Obviously the handling doesnt compare - I only refer to straightline performance here.

Interesting take Adam. Let me give you a different perspective. The SC you had was effectively an engine driven turbo not exhaust driven aka centrifugal type. A turbo behaves the same unless you go bi/dual turbo. Most 86 turbos have nothing to give below 3K and then from 3 to 6K they are on boost and have go.

For torque all round , that gives you the quick punch anywhere, you need the Positive displacement SC which the Cosworth , Harrop, Sprintex and Edelbrock are.

Worth checking your TT as to what it's turbo boost range is or if it's a biturbo as in TT RS( I don't know much about their engines except the rs which is a 2.5L 5 cyl)

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Adamd said:

Think that’s an artefact of the HKS blower kit tbh. The Harrop kit pulls really nicely from 3k ish RPM in 5th (and is still reasonable in 6th) so overtaking stuff is no big deal. Also for what it’s worth (given your HKS blower is long dead), Cosworth/Harrop/Edelbrock all use off the shelf blowers from Eaton so the reliability is well proven across the automotive industry.

1 hour ago, BRZ-123 said:

Worth checking your TT as to what it's turbo boost range is or if it's a biturbo as in TT RS( I don't know much about their engines except the rs which is a 2.5L 5 cyl)

Assuming it’s a factory turbo the TT is probably twin scroll, hence the nice response. Unfortunately (as far as I’m aware) there’s no one offering twin scroll kits for the GT86 at the moment as that could be a good way to go.

I was comparing to a MK1 TT remapped to 270ish BHP, which was the only other forced induction car I've owned. My opinion is entirely subjective and based on limited experience!

Yeah I understand the SC designs differ in power delivery and that's probably a big aspect.