invicta0

Cobra Exhaust

Yup, they sure will.

I have a resonated system (custom made however) with a secondary decat, and it sets car alarms off on a cold start. Not ideal when this happens at 6am when I occasionally have to leave for work :P

Good luck!

I love my Cobra exhaust, there aren't really any systems out there that I'd swap this for that I can think of but be warned, I know loudness can be subjective to each person but I had the non-res with CAT delete and I too was setting off car alarms, I even almost didn't get on track at Snetterton because I was over the noise limit, with a generous limit of 105dbs, I got 108dbs which was very very loud.  I was very surprised especially since I know someone who had virtually exactly the same setup as me (performance mods wise) and who was the first to have the Cobra non-res plus CAT delete and he only got 98dbs I think.  A number of us ordered the non-res and majority of us have complained about the extreme noise level.  I even questioned Cobra direct why there was such a big difference and their response was "each car is different out of the factory"......not that bloody different.  Because I use my car on track, I had to get the non-res pipe swapped out for a res'd pipe but if you're not fussed about going on track and can live with the mega loud exhaust, then awesome stuff.....I did love how loud it was and people could hear me coming from miles away :D

I'm amazed at the dBs you're reporting for this unassuming 4-pot with one cat still in the pipe! We had difficulties with the RX8s + cobra exhaust + decat, but Wankels are properly loud for the power produced. The story was similar though. Decat + loud catback = trackday bans.

LOL, tell me about it, we all were....I knew it was loud but not that loud.  Luckily they still let me on cos it was wet and foggy and they said you probably won't be going full chat......which I did anyways :P

2 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

I'm amazed at the dBs you're reporting for this unassuming 4-pot with one cat still in the pipe! We had difficulties with the RX8s + cobra exhaust + decat, but Wankels are properly loud for the power produced. The story was similar though. Decat + loud catback = trackday bans.

@Ztox probably has the loudest exhaust in the uk for the twins, we measured a peak of 127db at amber, think it's the Tomei 80 he's got?

108db is stupidly and I repeat stupidly loud. Decibels are not a linear scale, every three decibels or so increase is twice as loud, so that is simply crazy. There does seem to be an issue with Cobra being able to make exhausts that are consistent in respect of how loud they are. Let's hope they have sorted it. 

In comparison my non-resonated Milltek also with a second cat delete has never registered over 95Db in the usual trackside test, though noise meters at places like Croft do seem to read ridiculously high. 

Roughly 10 dB for a doubling of perceived loudness (3 dB is for power), so 127 dB is about 4 times as loud as 108 dB! Also 120+ dB can cause instantaneous hearing loss, so that's kind of unsafe.

51 minutes ago, Keethos said:

Yeah Ztox's aero is mega loud, though I don't know accurate that test was, didn't it just spike and keep the highest reading?

yeah it was set to show it's highest reading so it's not always going to be 127db but was still rather loud

On 19/01/2016 at 9:48 PM, Tareim said:

yeah it was set to show it's highest reading so it's not always going to be 127db but was still rather loud

Haven't been on here for a while... Yeah it was just spiking at 127db and that was when I was playing with launch control, I think it hit 124 before that. Regardless, it's utterly ridiculous to most people but I like it. Yea it's the Tomei 80, with all the other Tomei bits too.

On 19/01/2016 at 1:17 PM, invicta0 said:

Oh how my neighbours are going to despise me :P

Yea I don't think mine are too keen. I don't keep my car at home either so I get to piss off two lots of people :lol:

So after several delays I have now got free delivery before 12pm tomorrow from the seller.  Should be fitted tomorrow afternoon if all goes well.  I'll get some before and after pics once its done and some sound readings once i've had a chance to run it around a bit.

I’m thinking of getting the cobra decat front pipe on my TRD GT86 (quad exhaust) will this bring up warning light on the dash (everything else on exhaust stock) will this have any significant gains or is that all to be made from the catless header? And does the sound difference sound good/louder???

I’m thinking of getting the cobra decat front pipe on my TRD GT86 (quad exhaust) will this bring up warning light on the dash (everything else on exhaust stock) will this have any significant gains or is that all to be made from the catless header? And does the sound difference sound good/louder???

9 minutes ago, Dannyw86trd said:

No warning lights, no significant gains. Will be louder.

6 minutes ago, knightryder said:

No warning lights, no significant gains. Will be louder.

Thanks for the quick reply. I take it, it will make no difference to the torque dip that the catless header does? 

1 minute ago, Dannyw86trd said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I take it, it will make no difference to the torque dip that the catless header does? 

Without a remap or manifold you wont see any change to the torque curve.

3 minutes ago, knightryder said:

Without a remap or manifold you wont see any change to the torque curve.

I thought so. I’m looking at a superchips tune for £250 installed as I’m wanting to get a slight power gain over stock but I know you need a custom tune to eliminate the warning lights on the primary cat. But a decent catless manifold and EcuTek tune your talking at least £1100-1200 and I can’t see the value for money in it. Superchips tune and decat front pipe will be like £500 all in and might see 13-14bhp gains and make the noise a little more dramatic. That should do for me! Thanks for the quick response though.