Neil_turbo

Tein Coilover Spring Rate rationale

Hello All

I will be taking the plunge on some new Tein coilovers in March (Flex A), so need to make some decisions on spring rates etc.

What factors people have considered when choosing theirs?

Lauren will be taking me for a spin in hers next week, so sure to get some good advice then :-)

Cheers

Neil

I think the short answer is, go 6/6kg. You will get some understeer as per the stock setup. But it's a safe setup. 

5/6kg is a more lively set up, with geo setup the understeer is pretty much eliminated, but some may say the rear end is too lively. I admit I like it like that. 

For me, I wanted to be able to get the weight over the front under braking as I use trail braking a lot on track. 

It'd require Yukiko to converse with Tein JP I think to go for even softer rates, the trouble is you don't want it to be over damped as the stock rates shipped are 7/7kg. Though it may well be fine, but will require some back of the fag packet maths. 

My friends at Tein tell me that a number of people have asked for what is known as the 'Lauren spring' rate. I was quite shocked when I found out!

42 minutes ago, Furnate said:

Can you spec different spring rates when buying, or is it a case of buying with 7/7 springs and getting an extra set?

I did it when I bought them, others have too. I was involved in the initial development when three of us had them fitted to our cars. So I had a bit more of a custom setup as my rear dampers were revalved to be 20% stiffer too. I was the only one that requested a 5kg front spring rate, which involved Yukiko from Tein UK speaking to headquarters in Yokohama and getting their approval before they air freighted them over. Yukiko showed me the slightly more complicated calculations for the ride height due to the greater droop of the 5kg springs in comparison to the 6kg. There is more difference than you may initially think. 

just so I'm not getting confused or have I? if you go with 6/6 can you get the understeer eliminated with a proper alignment? or will there still be some initial understeer?

My experience of driving my car with 5/6kg spring rate and Keith's with a 6/6kg rate is that Keith's tends more to understeer than mine. So I would say that the 6/6kg rate is a 'safer' setup as the car tends more to push on at higher speeds. There is pretty much a total lack of understeer in my car. It's simply a matter of preference, but suspension manufacturers will tend to specify spring rates that make the car retain the characteristics of the standard setup, which is towards understeer. 

Can you dial out the understeer with geo setup on a 6/6kg rate? Yes, I'm sure you can, but the 5/6kg rate tends to make the car more edgy and pointy at the front end. Choices and all that. 

Tyres and alignment make a big impact on handling balance. For example, -3deg camber at the front will have a fair bit more grip than -1deg camber.

Grippier tyres can change the balance of the car too.

On the flip side, these flex A have quite a bit less travel at the front compared to the back, so if you drive on really bumpy surfaces the front hits the bump stops first. The HBS helps but at the end of the day the front hits the stops quite a bit earlier which can cause understeer. Our resident automotive engineer (worked on chassis for OEM applications) quickly realised this an remidied it with longer 7kg front springs and a bit of preload. You lose the ability to go really low though.

Sure you'll get more understeer on smooth surfaces but on rough surfaces he got more grip up front.

My point is that its never that simple. I wouldnt want to got any softer than 6kg/mm on the front on the flex A's.

I run 6/6, but also run a fair amount of camber (-2.5deg front, -3deg rear) and I have no issues with understeer. 

There are always other options to help balance over/understeer (alignment, adjustable ARBs etc.)

2 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

I run 6/6, but also run a fair amount of camber (-2.5deg front, -3deg rear) and I have no issues with understeer. 

There are always other options to help balance over/understeer (alignment, adjustable ARBs etc.)

How come 3deg camber on the rear - seems a lot for the rear? I run 2.5 front and 2 rear.

Seems a bit weird to me aswell. Usually most align so that front is -0.5 more negative, from what i've seen. Like for DD 1.5-2 front/1-1.5 rear or further -0.5-1 more to each if for track ..

6 hours ago, Deacon said:

How come 3deg camber on the rear - seems a lot for the rear? I run 2.5 front and 2 rear.

Not completely through my own choice, just hasn't been adjusted since it was last checked. Was just an observation given the current settings. 

For my preference, I'd be happier at around -2 deg all around, just gotta get around to getting it back in the garage :)

They did. 7K for the rears, but evenly worn tells me that's simply what I'm going to get from them. 

The fronts have done 8K now and still have 5mm of tread. Again even wear. 

That tells me that the camber isn't causing the tyres to wear unevenly, that was my point really. Those rear tyres did 3 sprints and a trackday too. The rears will just wear quicker as they've seen some abuse. 

They did. 7K for the rears, but evenly worn tells me that's simply what I'm going to get from them. 

The fronts have done 8K now and still have 5mm of tread. Again even wear. 

That tells me that the camber isn't causing the tyres to wear unevenly, that was my point really. Those rear tyres did 3 sprints and a trackday too. The rears will just wear quicker as they've seen some abuse. 

Before your advans they looked bold

On the inside!

3bbb8bbed6a828e958faee80284ba6be.jpg