Deacon

So.... talk manifolds to me

UEL design originally was chosen by Subaru for one reason - less material usage/cheaper to make & better clearance. Power hit could be easily offset with slight extra boost anyway. Funilly, that made that characteristic 'subaru burble' sound, which many liked, and often also put UEL sound as one of reasons choosing them. In my taste high sprung high rpm sound seems better giving off some 'raciness' to that, but some may prefer that bassy burbliness.

Longtube headers do better for providing more overall gains under curve due scavenging optimized for actualy used rpm range. Header with short primary runner length usually is more for highest gains .. but at very top rpms. As at daily driving one spends most of time at low rpms, at track at mid to high, long tube headers provide most overall gains everywhere. Unfortunately they often also cost more :( due harder to design/reduced clearance/more work to make/more material. Thus often generic UEL headers are popular choice. Cheaper, do well with dip, characteristic sound. I wouldn't look for the shortest runners headers though, be it UEL or EL (eg. PTuning, or Ace's Anaconda or Type A with 150 overpipe), as they are beneficial only for very very few/very limited racing application (eg. racing with built motor and risen redline cutoff).