Lauren

Lauren's GT86 100K miles and onwards

Bit of a lapse since the last update! Oops!

Not a lot to report but I had my 120K service a couple of months ago. I've been umming and aahing about whether to do something about my exhaust. With having no cats and a a resonated TD system it felt like the raspy sound you get under load between 3-4K rpm was getting a bit irritating and seemed to be getting a bit louder. I had a word with Mike at TD and asked him to have a look at it for me. He found a possible slight blow and took the decat pipe out and resealed it. This didn't quiten it some and took it back to where it was. 

However, whilst the raspy sound is fine when you're in the mood and very good at scaring cyclists (if that's your thing), it was still annoying me as I found I was driving around a lot of the time trying to keep the revs under 3000 just to avoid the raspiness. Mike said he had a reasonated decat pipe I could try as a silencer at the front end of the system is what makes the difference.  After a bit of thinking I decided to go ahead with it. 

I had it fitted today and as you can see from the pic, it has two small silencers. This drastically quietens the exhaust down and totally loses the raspiness. When I drove it home, it was almost like I couldn't hear it! This is of course all relative and reminded me of how loud it was before. I can actually hear some induction noise again and I haven't heard that since I had a stock manifold and Milltek on! 

There's a part of me that wonders if it's too quiet, but I think I'll get used to it and appreciate that it's pretty well non-intrusive when you're cruising around, but you can still hear it when you hoof it of course. Maybe I'm just getting old! 🤣

A huge thanks for Mike for a speedy and efficient service as always. I did ask if he wanted to be in the pic but he declined. 😂

IMG_7855.JPG

Great to see you, Adam. I could tell you were pretty much shaking with excitement picking your car up. It was palpable.  :)

I'm sure that drive home was a lot of fun. Lose the metalwork and enjoy. :)

Had an issue develop post recall with my car stalling in traffic. It then developed an uncharacteristic Subaru burble and felt like it was missing at low rpm. I took it to RRG but there were no fault codes and they couldn't find anything wrong. After a second visit and again no diagnosis it threw a code on the way home, P0017 which indicates camshaft/crankshaft position sensor. Richard and Gary diagnosed this as a faulty idle control valve as it changes the exhaust cam timing up to 3000rpm where the VVTi takes over. This fitted the symptoms perfectly as at higher rpms the car drove as good as ever. 

Gary fitted a new idle control valve this morning, it didn't take long as it's two bolts on the end of one of the exhaust camshafts and is easily accessible. I gave it a shake down after and the car is totally transformed, well by that it's back to normal. Nice steady idle and more importantly pulling cleanly at low revs where lets face it you spend most of your time in road driving. :)

TGB will be picking up the bill which is a result. :)

Now ready for my trackday at Blyton Park tomorrow. :)

A huge thanks to the team at RRG as ever. :)

IMG_8106.JPG

Saw it at japfest and thought the new vinyl design looks great. A take on the old ae86 btcc touring car isn't it? 

18 hours ago, Luke said:

Saw it at japfest and thought the new vinyl design looks great. A take on the old ae86 btcc touring car isn't it? 

Thanks. :)

Yes it is  a take on Chris Hodgett's winning AE86 BTCC car. It's Toyota GB's livery that they used on the Britcar GT86 which itself is a copy of Chris's works AE86. We just changed Toyota GB to RRG Macclesfield. :)

14 hours ago, Tubbytommy said:

Great mileage,good to see the car getting used properly daily.

Another great thread,I have just purchased the same front brake kit.

Pondering the rear brembos from the hatch Impreza,have you considered this mod?

Its mainly for cosmetic reasons for me 

Thanks. :)

I haven't considered the rear Brembo kit, as it doesn't really offer a worthwhile benefit. Will admitted he did it for looks. Function over form for me and no point me spending money on things I don't need etc. ;)