Lauren

Lauren's GT86 100K miles and onwards

5 hours ago, Test Drives Unlimited said:

If you talking about Gatwick then I can vouch for that,as it gets mentioned a few times to me emoji14.png

Sent from my Archos 53 Platinum using Tapatalk

Yep Gatwick :lol:

Glad it all turned out OK for you Lauren and great response from the garage. Due to previous battery issues I brought one of those excellent Lithium battery power packs. Small enough to store in the glove box and great for all things which need to be started or charged 👍

One of those powerpacks would have been useful for getting the steering lock off for sure. Though the car has never let me down due to a flat battery, apart from when I've drained it having my audio on for too long. But again, yes could be useful!

Just picked my car up. How's that for service? Full tank of fuel, new battery under warranty and my next service free, all because it can only be that changing the fuel filter last Monday must have had an effect somewhere on the issue with the fuel not being picked up from both sides of the tank. To be fair this is the first time they have changed a fuel filter and the problem could not have been foreseen. 

Now that's what I call service! Huge thanks to Richard, Gary and the team down at RRG Macc.

Easily the best garage I have used for any car. A brilliant team

Just a little update, I finally got to the point where I was coming home from Reading where the fuel level was going to run till I got the light on in order to get to the Shell garage at Keele services on the M6. As there are no Shell garages from the M6 from Manchester to Reading apart from Keele I normally fill up on the way down, then run with the light on for ten miles or so on the way back and fill up at Keele again on my return. 

Of course the last time I did this, I broke down, so I thought I'd give it a go and am happy to report that the car was fine and there was, I admit, a little relief to see the low fuel light coming on, indicating all was well with fuel being drawn from the other side of the tank. :)

In other related news, Mike popped round yesterday and I went through the setup of his EDFC Active Pro, giving him my parameters to see how he gets on with it. Mike is running the more expensive Monotube setup with 6/7kg springs, so I'm not sure how my settings will relate, but he'll need to try it for a couple of weeks to see how he gets on. Once we got the calibration sorted, it was dead easy to set the lateral G settings and the speed settings. I'm interested to see how he finds it. :)

Insurance renewed today with Prestige, same price as last at £606. I have business insurance and this covers me for 30,500 miles, all mods declared of course. That it didn't go up was a main reason for me simply renewing this year. :)

Also I spoke to Toyota Finance about clearing the balloon payment of £8800, they told me that Toyota would be making a withdrawal for the final amount automatically on the 28th January, so whilst I could pay it today, I'd have to inform my bank to sort out the attempt to withdraw the money on the 28th which would still happen even if I paid it today! So I opted just to let Toyota draw it in three days time.

Then the car will be mine, save for a £7K personal loan! 

they just automatically take the payment? are they likely to inform those of us on PCP that they will do that? last thing I need is for someone to attempt to draw that kind of money out without confirming

9 minutes ago, Tareim said:

they just automatically take the payment? are they likely to inform those of us on PCP that they will do that? last thing I need is for someone to attempt to draw that kind of money out without confirming

Yes. It's what they do, if you do nothing, which to a point is fair enough. It's up to you to inform them if you have other plans like returning the car etc. 

10 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said:

They normally write to you first though...

I hope they do as I'm currently thinking of getting a newer one when the time comes

7 minutes ago, Tareim said:

I hope they do as I'm currently thinking of getting a newer one when the time comes

You'll get more than enough time to decide! I'd already told Toyota I was paying mine off and paying the Baloon payment in full. 

But they still insisted on sending me 3 letters with 3 options on it. And one final attempt was to let me carry on the finance for an extra year whilst I 'decide what I do' 

Yes, you get a load of letters of course.  All I was saying is if you do nothing they will try and take the full final balloon payment from your bank account. 

And yes, Don, how time flies! 

They generally prefer you NOT to pay off the balance, so they certainly have a good go getting you not to... They'd much rather swap you into a brand new one!

The only time I ever took out a PCP I had a hell of a time convincing the call centre of that... No... I really do want to pay off the balance as its only 3 years old and I still quite like it...

I'm currently at the stage of thinking that I cannot be bothered to save half of my available monthly money to put towards the final payment and would rather spend it on mods & track events then come the final payment get a newer one and take some stuff with me such as coilovers to the new one

Cos of work and being out and about constantly this happened to me, they tried to take the money out, it went out, then straight back in again. Was a day or two over the payment day and I managed to call them up and actually pay them with no charge and spent half an hour trying to call my bank to see if I have been charged, luckily I was eventually told no, no charge....so got off lucky there me thinks.

17 hours ago, Tareim said:

I'm currently at the stage of thinking that I cannot be bothered to save half of my available monthly money to put towards the final payment and would rather spend it on mods & track events then come the final payment get a newer one and take some stuff with me such as coilovers to the new one

I did umm and ah about it for a while. My car would need a lot of things changing over to a new one though. All the audio stuff, which is quite a lot of stuff to transfer over and re-do in a new car. Also there is all the EDFC wiring, coilovers and all the other bits and pieces. All of this would mean that whatever good deal I could get on a new car, would be negated by the cost of doing all that stuff. I have kept all the standard parts though. 

There is also a part of me, that feels that at 80K miles my car is now nicely run in. We all know it produces good power, it uses no oil or any fluids and is exactly where I want it. I've kept to every service schedule meticulously and though I don't spend all my time polishing it, mechanically it is in perfect condition as I never scrimp on anything. I feel I will add my car to my collection and just keep going seeing it over 100K and beyond. I reckon I'll have no trouble getting it up to 150K miles. It may end up a little like Trigger's broom in the end, but when things like bushings and the like wear out, I'll just upgrade them. Also in a years time or so, I should have paid the whole lot off, leaving me plenty of money for other things should I so wish. :)

On 24/01/2016 at 3:34 PM, Lauren said:

In other related news, Mike popped round yesterday and I went through the setup of his EDFC Active Pro, giving him my parameters to see how he gets on with it. Mike is running the more expensive Monotube setup with 6/7kg springs, so I'm not sure how my settings will relate, but he'll need to try it for a couple of weeks to see how he gets on. Once we got the calibration sorted, it was dead easy to set the lateral G settings and the speed settings. I'm interested to see how he finds it. :)

Thanks for sorting it out, how many times did I try (and fail at) the initialisation in the end? :D Still getting used to it (and the noise of the motors resetting themselves every so often when you start it up!) but the car feels a lot different and a lot eager to turn in without any fuss at all. Need to go on a proper drive soon me thinks!

Had to get Lauren to give me a crash course on the EDFC Setup as well. Mainly because i cant be arsed to read the manual, perhaps it's just a bloke thing. I'm also proud to say that I never properly sorted out my settings and have forgotten everything she showed me... whoops!

LOL, I'm going to start charging for how to use EDFC I think! Glad it's feeling better, Mike. As I said, you have a different spring rate and different dampers to me, so you should see my settings as a starting point, but I think it will still work well for you. 

I entirely agree. I may change my mind, but I bought this car to keep. It's simple enough to potentially be on the road still when it's as old as your AE86. This was always an opportunity to buy a brand new classic.

Anyway, Seems a bit of a waste buying a Japanese car and then chopping in at 3yrs/80k miles. Might as well have something French or Italian if you're going to do that! I'm hoping mine will still be going in 20 years like those battered Toyota Carina minicabs that have been round the clock three times. I might even invest in one of those beaded seat covers... ;-)

There's no reason why it can't be going in 30 years time, just like my AE86 is. I'll run my GT until I have to buy another car, then I will simply retire it from daily duties like I did with my AE86. :)

I'm not sure about those beaded seat covers, though. ;)

Hate to be that guy but I'm skeptical, there's plenty of reasons why the GT86 won't be going for 30 years....I hope it does but cars in general now days aren't built to last, they're not over engineered like the old cars were. But like yourself, I'll most probably be keeping the car for as long as possible after all that I've done to her.