Sign in to follow this  
Nicebiscuit

Cheap option to add DAB

Whilst I may end up changing the head unit in time, for now I just wanted to be able to get Radio 6 - so I bought one of these as a quick fix.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-car-stereos/sonichi-s100-digital-radio-adaptor

Wasn't expecting much, but actually works very well in the 86 as it powers from fag lighter and tucks into the centre console box, with only a wire to hide to the aux input.

Best bit is the aerial - got a magnetic fit external aerial from the same source and fitted it upside down inside the boot from the underside of the parcel shelf so you can't see it. Reception is terrific.

So worth a try for a easily removable and invisible solution.

I used to have a Pure add on in my BMW and I was very happy with that. You can get a double din headunit from Halfords with DAB, Bluetooth and touchscreen for less than £300 so that will be one of my first jobs once I get the car.

By one of my first jobs, I of course mean going to Halfords, buying it and letting them fit it.

Yeah - I may go down that path myself eventually - but it's a slippery slope when I start messing with audio. I'd probably want nav as well, and then if I were upgrading the head unit It'd be a waste not to think about upgrading speakers, amps, a sub. So there's probably a few £s spend in my future, so I thought I could stave it off for a bit with £65 now...

Still can't believe that mounting a mast aerial upside down in the boot works...

Finally got this Sonichi DAB radio adaptor and fitted it today.  Hooray I've got 6 Music again!  Just out of interest do you guys that use this kind of adaptor listen via the FM option or do you hard wire it in with a 3.5 aux lead?