rob275

Chillismokes 86 Detailed & Sealed (Gtechnic)

This has been due for a while, Chris @chillismoke contacted me to help him detail his 86 in preparation for Japfest, I think that was back in May or something! Anyway we agreed on a weekend to do this, he popped down on the Saturday (unfortunately arriving a tad late which ended up causing some issues which i'll touch on later)

There aren't any before pictures as the purpose of this thread it really to document what we done to get the car sealed step by step (Albeit missing a few pictures)

I'd rather people didn't drum on this thread about how polishing an 86 is pointless, if you do it will just be deleted. For those that know chris you will know he doesn't hang about on the TSS and goes "balls deep" so to speak in that department too :)

Products Used (in no particular order)

- 5 Million Microfibres

- Autobrite Purple Rain

- Autobrite Citrus Wash

- Autobrite Purple Velvet

- Poorboys wheel cleaner

- A mixture of polishing pads & Autobrite/3M Compounds

- Autobrite snowfoam

- The entire Gtechniq range

The Good Stuff

So first off with it being relatively warm I gave the car a light spray with the hose, to cool it down so the foam didn't dry up too quick (This got some loose bits of dirt off) Then we attacked it with the foam lance.

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-1.thumb.JPG.b2

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-6.thumb.JPG.f9

This was left to dwell for around 10 minutes, topping up the coat halfway through so it didn't dry.

Next up we got the citrus wash out and applied it to the entire car (paying particular attention to the front & rear bumpers, bonnet and lower quarter of the car. (This aids the removal of traffic film & bugs) This was then left to dwell then jetwashed off after a few minutes.

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-9.thumb.JPG.c3

Sprayed in to the arches also

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-11.thumb.JPG.c

On to the wheels with the Poorboys wheel cleaner (I needn't have bothered as chris got them off later and clayed them down to apply the c5!)

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-12.thumb.JPG.2

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-19.thumb.JPG.3

Wheels were then rinsed (Oops, no picture. Blame the photographer for engaging in conversation with the homeowners :huh:)

On to the washing, purple velvet goes in to the bucket. (We used two buckets for obvious reasons I will not explain)

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-22.thumb.JPG.7

Panels were done in the following order (Bonnet, roof & upper 3rd of body panels, boot, lower 2/3rds of body then bumbers) Due to heat each panel was jetwashed on the fly

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-23.thumb.JPG.3

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-24.thumb.JPG.2

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-26.thumb.JPG.f

Once all panels were washed we got the car back on to the driveway under the marquee to begin claying (This took us around 4 hours I think...)

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-27.thumb.JPG.9

Once this was done I began the polishing process, it was all going swimmingly until I started doing the front bumper and not being able to cut it at all. Due to an accident Chris had it was resprayed by RRG and I have to say rich, it was a poor job! Worse orange peel than you get from the factory! Lets hope the painter was having a bad day? I managed to cut it back a bit but it was a lost cause without wetsanding and a rotary.... Something we really didn't have the time to do!

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-45.thumb.JPG.f

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-47.thumb.JPG.8

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-61.thumb.JPG.8

Chris got the wheels off and began to clay them and he applied C5 to them in the meantime after some instruction by me :) 

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-68.thumb.JPG.b

So the car was polished up, 98% swirl free. I say 98% as at this point we was behind schedule with Chris arriving late and having issues with the whole front end. We were about 2 hours behind. OOPS!

The glass was polished with Gtechniq G4 and then the Gtechniq G1 was applied and residue removed with Gtechniq G2

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-75.thumb.JPG.b

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-76.thumb.JPG.d

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-79.thumb.JPG.5

Once done, we moved on to applying the Gtechniq C1, but before hand we gave every panel a wipe over with Gtechniq Panel Wipe, aka expensive watered down isopropyl alcohol.

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-85.thumb.JPG.e

At this point, once the residue was removed we had ran out of time, it was nearing dark, we needed to wait for the C1 to cure for 6 hours before applying the EXO. We left the car for a few hours then chris went on his journey home! To my knowledge I don't think he applied the EXO yet. and due to condensation overnight water spots appeared in the C1 layer. These were barely noticeable (I doubt any of you noticed them at Japfest but none the less a pain in the arse) They can be clayed out but really a polish is the quickest option. As it was only on the roof mainly Chris clayed it. 

Other bits we done were the interior with Gtechniq though we didn't get pictures of this.

Anyway here are some after pictures :) If anyone has any questions about any of the products used or further detail on anything fire away! I appreciate 90% of you won't be this anal about your 86.

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-87.thumb.JPG.9

chillismoke-detail-gt86dc-88.thumb.JPG.8

Edited by rob275

How much do you charge for this? as mine will need doing at some point, think it has a few swirls in it

For a C1 & EXO Application it'd be around £180, more if you want the seats & leather's sealed etc. Need the car for 2-3 days.

That is a really good price, same type of job done at a detailers would easily be double that. With regards to people moaning about polishing- I wouldn't give a toss, it's only the people who can't be bothered that moan anyway.

Edited by Mark-in-Stoke

Great write up Rob

Good to show the effort required to achieve that level of finish. It also highlights the difference between a hand car wash and what always used to be called valeting(now detailing).

The damage caused to paintwork and trim by hand car washes is immeasurable, safe cleaning methods like this will help protect vehicles for years to come as well as improving resale vaue at trade in time.

it might be a good idea to show maintenance washes also? Just a thought..

Anyway, good work !

@Mark-in-Stoke it is a good price, mainly because I don't need to pay for any unit rent as I just detail in my spare time from home. Plus Gtechniq details are generally expensive as if you're approved you need to stick to their pricing structure. Though you get the added benefit of being able to have the serum applied, which is far superior to the C1 & EXO.

@nikndel It was wasn't it! You even got a sarnie! How's that for hospitality.

@Polishingpedlar The write up is pretty bad, I could of put more effort in to it lol. But I figured people could just ask questions if they had any and make more of a thread out of it.

Are those 2 pics of the windscreen with the G1 applied? Every time I've applied it it's never been that thick/opaque, unless it's just the camera?

No that's G4, the G1 is clear 

@Mark-in-Stoke it is a good price, mainly because I don't need to pay for any unit rent as I just detail in my spare time from home. Plus Gtechniq details are generally expensive as if you're approved you need to stick to their pricing structure. Though you get the added benefit of being able to have the serum applied, which is far superior to the C1 & EXO.

@nikndel It was wasn't it! You even got a sarnie! How's that for hospitality.

@Polishingpedlar The write up is pretty bad, I could of put more effort in to it lol. But I figured people could just ask questions if they had any and make more of a thread out of it.

Costco pizza more like it size of a wheel

G1 - Hydrophobic glass coating (Stronger than G5 but not as hydrophobic) generally good on windscreens as the wipers would wear down the G5

G5 - Hydrophobic glass coating

C1 - Scratch resistant sealant with water & dirt repelling properties

EXOv2 - Synthetic sealant adding a glossy coat, long lasting and generally added over the top of C1

C6 - Dash coating, provides UV and abraision resistance

I1 - Hydrophobic fabric coating

L1 - Leather coating which increases resistance to wear and staining

These are just the products I used on Chris' car. The majority of their other products are QD's and other general maintenance solutions like bug removers etc and top up sprays to keep the EXO topped up. But the above are all the sealants. and obviously the C5 that you've used.

I'm completed intrigued by Gtechniqs offerings, seems like quite a buzz around this stuff. So is C1 the equivalent of a wax? Then EXO is used as a LSP? What's their T1 tyre dressing like? I've always used Autoglym tyre dressing and I don't know why as it's pants and messy to apply.

The C1 isn't really an equivalent of a wax. A wax you leave to cure, if you left the C1 to cure you would need to wet sand your entire car. It's a sealant which has the properties of a laquer to be honest. But it needs to be applied and wiped off pretty much immediately.

As for the T1, i've not used it but Autoglym stuff is indeed mediocre. Most tyre dressings don't last long though.

It's tacky and picks up dirt, there are far better dressings out there which don't attract dirt so easily.

I've never had an issue with it. Certainly wouldn't call it "tacky" - I find it's quite repelling of dirt

No it's definitely not tacky. I personally don't find it very durable but it's mainly the fact it's messy which bothers me, it gets everywhere unless you are really close up but then you end up using lots of product.