remal

Unexpected things you Disike about the GT86

Taking this a different way. 

What do you dislike about your GT86/BRZ

For me the minor issue with my battery is not something I would put against the car I still enjoying driving or looking at for the past 14 months. 

The only thing I dislike about the car is that it's a twat magnet. IE I park miles away from anyone. Do my best to keep the car clean yet things and people just want to dent my car. Door dings, Crap on the road. I never had this with any car I have driven in the past 20 years. 

SO really it's not the car but others I dislike when it comes to owning a GT86. 

Can't say I ever missed steering wheel controls. I had them on my last 2 cars, never pressed them once lol. I find the stereo more accessible. 

If there is anything I dislike about the car it'd be the boot, it's got so much potential for being spacious (especially with the back seat down) But the actual opening always needs to be 2-3cm wider to fit things in! Does my head in sometimes. I end up having to take things through the door to fit them in to the boot... I know the Japs read backwards but FFS!

Other than that it's all dandy, i'm not arsed about the rattles, paint & dents. It's a car at the end of the day. 

Rear brake light. That will soon be gone however

And the fact that EVERYTHING is made by Subaru. I have removed the brakes, suspension, exhaust, engine parts, interior panels. Pretty much every part of the car and every sodding part has the Scooby star emblem on it! EVEN THE TOYOTA BADGE ON THE FRONT OF THE CAR IS MADE BY SUBARU!!! :huh:

How long the final ratio (6th) is, the fact you have to manually unlock the passenger side door on the switch instead of unlocking both doors at the same time. How thin the paint is and how easily it chips. How narrow the depth of the boot is, the height is terrible even if the overall size is good. 

Rear brake light in the rear window is also terrible. Apart from that I am a happy camper :D

How long the final ratio (6th) is, the fact you have to manually unlock the passenger side door on the switch instead of unlocking both doors at the same time. How thin the paint is and how easily it chips. How narrow the depth of the boot is, the height is terrible even if the overall size is good.

Rear brake light in the rear window is also terrible. Apart from that I am a happy camper :D

Why is having 6th a long ratio a bad thing? Means you still get decent MPG when cruising on the motorway because you're not sitting at 5k+ revs!

You can program the car to unlock both doors at the same time btw. I can't remember what the method is but if you search I'm sure you'll find it

Why is having 6th a long ratio a bad thing? Means you still get decent MPG when cruising on the motorway because you're not sitting at 5k+ revs!

You can program the car to unlock both doors at the same time btw. I can't remember what the method is but if you search I'm sure you'll find it

It's generally the spacing of 5th to 6th when I think about it Jordan. If 5th gear was made a slightly bit taller, then 6th would not bog down the engine so much. It's not so much a problem now for me, but when I was running N/A 6th just took you right out of the torque band and the car just died. I cannot complain about the MPG bonus though :D 

I see, maybe GringoSteve might know how to do it? I know he was messing around a bit with the car controls. 

I never really found it an issue to begin with. But now with the charger 6th gear overtakes are just effortless - I'm sure you've got the same with the turbo setup now

You don't need to go through the OBD port like GringoSteve is doing, although I'm sure it's an option

It's something to do with locking the car in some sort of sequence...let me have a search

To set the passenger door to unlock at the same time as you unlocking the driver side door do the following:

Use the drivers door handle to open the door
Leave the door open and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the fob for 5 seconds
You'll hear a couple of beeps
Voila - your drives handle now opens both doors.
This can be repeated to reverse if wanted!         

I never really found it an issue to begin with. But now with the charger 6th gear overtakes are just effortless - I'm sure you've got the same with the turbo setup now

You don't need to go through the OBD port like GringoSteve is doing, although I'm sure it's an option

It's something to do with locking the car in some sort of sequence...let me have a search

Yeah I am building boost from 2900rpm, so because we sit at around 3k RPM at 70 in 6th, the torque is there ready to go whenever I start accelerating. 

Cheers for digging that old chestnut up though mate, I'll give it a go when I get home and see if both doors now unlock afterwards. Although I have to say, listening to the missus moan outside because I refuse to unlock the passenger door when I get in doesn't get old haha. 

Yea I finally got round to sorting the door unlocking at the weekend.

The only thing I can think of right now has been said and that's the boot opening being so small. The shape/size of the car is what it is though I guess.

The lack of steering wheel controls is something I love about this car in today's world and generally speaking one of my favourite things is the lack of stuff in this respect (gadgets/etc). 

Proper purist's/driver's car

I think the boot is amazing! I can easily fit 3 bags of golf clubs in there, probably even 4 if I tried

I even got my entire supercharger kit in the boot without any issues

In fact, I can't think of anything that I haven't been able to fit into my 86 with the exception of the 5 Axis kit I sold to Rob

I will say I do miss the radio controls on my wheel in the 86. Not that it's a huge disappointment but I do use them on my daily drive and often on other cars i use in the week. 

When i say it's not a big problem as my other 2 toys don't have them either but they also don't have a radio. ;) 

I never could hear the radio when I was catless so I didn't give a toss about the missing controls on the steering wheel.... Dan don't lie and pretend you listen to music any more, that fart cannon drowns out everything haha! 

The radio basically, specifically the way you have to scroll through sources to flip between iPod and FM. Why all the blank options?

What else? The slightly too narrow rear track. Either fill the arches or at least offer an 'option' wheel that does.

The brake light is a bit silly.

The fact that you can't wind the windows up or fold the mirrors after you've turned off the ignition. Like its 1985 again.

Oh and the pointless analogue speedometer.

(This isn't bad - my list of irritants is normally a lot lot longer)

The fact that you can't wind the windows up or fold the mirrors after you've turned off the ignition. Like its 1985 again.

I don't think I've had a car that can do the windows without the ignition, the mirrors on the other hand...

I do find it a bit lame that you have to turn on the ignition to turn stuff off again if, for example, you've pressed the button once to do the mirrors or turn the stereo on. Unless I'm missing something.

Very minor quibbles of course, these are my favourite cars in production at the moment.

I'm not arsed about the rattles, paint & dents. It's a car at the end of the day. 

You must be a bit eh? :P

Fart cannon doesn't do it justice James. I do try to listen to music but it's not easy, not that I care too much lol. Keith helped me hear it from behind the car on Saturday, jeez....

Actually you can put the windows up after you turn the engine off. They work for a set period about 30 seconds. 

Ah, not on my poverty spec one they don't. Take key out, it's game over.

It's ok - part of the whole retro thing :-). Serves me right for being a skinflint too... ;-)

I hate how sensitive the volume knob is on the stereo. When you have that OCD that your volume has to end in a 0 or a 5, it's really hard to get it spot on while you're driving along!

Re. the doors unlocking, I just double press the unlock button on the key fob (apart from when I forget, and than I also get moaned at by my girlfriend).