smudge

3" exhaust questions

I think it's time to bite the bullet and except the fact I need a 3" system with the new charger in place

After a bit of advice from Tarmac Sportz and Mark at Abbey, we don't think my current setup below will hack it:

Borla UEL manifold
Cobra overpipe
Berk high flow cat
Invidia Q300 catback

Our main points for concern at the HFC and the Invidia catback. I've seen HFC's blown out on turbo and charged 350z's in the past so it stands to reason that this may also be an issue on my 86.

The Invidia's backbox will be fairly restrictive and we probably need to look at a more free-flowing design to get the most out of the engine now.

I know very few people on here have 3" systems, but what do you have and what has been your experience? The only systems I know of are the Perrin and the Avo. Not really a fan of the look of either which I know isn't really the point but I want something that looks and sounds good obviously, as well as having the function.

Mark informed me that a 3" overpipe is possible. Apparently Cosworth have something?

I've also seen the Full Blown kit on the American forum, looks like a nice piece of kit and has a 3" overpipe, front pipe and catback

photo63_zps47edacf6.jpg

photo62_zpsfabe1663.jpg

I want to still keep my manifold UEL. I know this will lose me some horses but the Scooby burble is just too addictive to go to EL. Are there any UEL manifolds out there with a larger bore than the Borla I currently have?

Thanks in advance!

Yep this is also something I've considered. I've got a place down in Ashford that have done a couple of bits for me in the past. Going to give them a ring later

Powerspeed? Are they actually any good? Most reviews I could find seem to be on Corsa/Fiesta websites so I never trusted them.... those on Pistonheads were very mixed.

Are there any manifolds (pre-made) with a bigger bore? I have all the Tomei stuff as you know and it's awesome (IMO). The front pipe and catback come in at 3.14 inches. One of the reasons I got it is because it's the biggest bore that I could find and I wanted to be ready for when I go turbo. It is beyond loud though and the fact that it is single exit is an obvious tripping point if you're fond of the twin exit.

Powerspeed? Are they actually any good? Most reviews I could find seem to be on Corsa/Fiesta websites so I never trusted them.... those on Pistonheads were very mixed.

You're thinking of Powerflow. Which aren't actually all that bad...

But the guys at Fast Road Conversions do custom bespoke work as well as off the shelf Powerspeed stuff. They've built roll cages, pedal boxes and other weird and wonderful automotive bits for friends before I went there to get a couple of mid pipes made up for my 350z and GT86

What power are you expecting Jordan?

Personally i'd ditch the HFC and use the rest... we'll be leaving ours on a 2.5" system and seeing what is possible, before jumping to 3".

We're probably looking at around 320/330 at the wheels Mike.

When you say ditch the HFC and use the rest? Rest of what? :lol:

I'm in a position where my 2.5" needs replacing anyway due to being damaged so it's the right time to look at 3" rather than going 2.5" and having to upgrade anyway potentially

We're probably looking at around 320/330 at the wheels Mike.

When you say ditch the HFC and use the rest? Rest of what? :lol:

I'm in a position where my 2.5" needs replacing anyway due to being damaged so it's the right time to look at 3" rather than going 2.5" and having to upgrade anyway potentially

I didn't realise your current system was damaged... Apologies.

We'll be running ours on the 2.5" as I said to do some R&D for ourselves, then swapping onto a 3" system to see what benefits it has. We won't be looking at this until we're over 400bhp (flywheel) however. Equates to around 340 at the wheels on our machine for reference :) 

I didn't realise your current system was damaged... Apologies.

We'll be running ours on the 2.5" as I said to do some R&D for ourselves, then swapping onto a 3" system to see what benefits it has. We won't be looking at this until we're over 400bhp (flywheel) however. Equates to around 340 at the wheels on our machine for reference :)

I would have happily stuck with my Invidia Q300 system but unfortunately it's not usable anymore. So I figured I may as well go for the upgrade while I can rather than buying another 2.5 and having to upgrade again in the future

You're thinking of Powerflow. Which aren't actually all that bad...

But the guys at Fast Road Conversions do custom bespoke work as well as off the shelf Powerspeed stuff. They've built roll cages, pedal boxes and other weird and wonderful automotive bits for friends before I went there to get a couple of mid pipes made up for my 350z and GT86

No, I meant the same as you, FRC's website is http://www.powerspeed.co.uk/ ;) I nearly went to them for my custom backbox last year but the reviews and distance made it seem like it wasn't an option. Maybe going forward they could be.

JP are a good option up north but I'd say you have H&S for same kind of cost and quality on this side of the border.  http://www.haywardandscott.com/subaru/subaru-brz.html

Those are likely to be 2.5" but they already have the jig to make them so to upsize shouldn't be much of a problem, numerous old turbo CRX guys used to run H&S 3" systems and were very complimentary.

I'm sure this might be a bit of a trek for you Smudge, but there's a custom place in South Wales, not too far from me, which I swear by, as do a lot of enthusiasts in this area.

The company is called Prospeed Exhausts. I've personally seen them work on anything from a Fiesta to a Ferrari. Their website is full of testimonials and images of their builds, including some of mine (they've done all of my last 4 cars, and will be doing my 86 also).

As an idea, they quoted me £500 for a UEL manifold, £450 for a 2.5" cat back, and £150 for a overpipe/front pipe combo with a decat.

I've never heard a bad word said about them, and I would doubt the truth was being told if I did. They're fantastic.

come for a little bit then bugger off? at least be sociable for awhile lol :D

Dunstable to Ashford in Kent without using the motorway...no thanks lol it's 1 or the other

Edited by smudge

booooo :( going to have to wait till next year to hear that thing whine now then lol

Probably for the best mate. No point seeing it in "running in" mode anyway

Might as well see it once she's fully up and running ;)