Mike@TD.co.uk

GT86 Turbo Kit & BRZ Turbo Kit from Tuning Developments

I think this is probably the right place for a quick post...

While I was enjoying family summer holidays, my 2017 auto GT86 had a trip to Warrington to visit @Mike@TD.co.uk :lol:

After getting TD's NA package last December FI "upgrade" was always a consideration and I decided not to wait much longer a jump on an FI wagon.

In addition to TD turbo kit upgrade I have opted for "super silent" 2nd decat, "super resonated" cat back and screamer pipe re-circulated into downpipe - the idea being that the car should stay quiet and be allowed on all major UK track days, with Bedford being close and Thruxton on the target list... Well, Mike managed to exceed my expectations here - its only 1-2 db higher, just the exhaust tone is somewhat deeper/ more mature. Don't get me wrong, I do like the growl of a V6 or a V8, but I wanted to keep it "neighbours and track friendly" (Mike did say though its a bit too quiet for his liking, but I've got exactly what I was after).

The car now makes just over 281HP with 0.4 bars, with over 200 FtLb of torque after 4k.

Now, first impression after 3 days of driving and just over 320 miles:

In "normal" street driving, because it stays quiet you barely notice it has FI, it does feel "livelier" but you can drive it just like before (I don't think my Mrs would even notice on city/ daily routes), but as soon as come on the main road or just push the throttle beyond 3k revs you just hear a gentle whistle, somewhat deeper growl and... few seconds later you are at (or over) speed limit. Enjoy it a second longer and you are over 80 mph. Although I had a good run on M6 toll road, in normal D (auto) mode I could hardly push it enough to truly say what its capable of... have to wait couple weeks until I manage to go on track end of August.

Mike also installed MFactory 4.67 FD, nice upgrade for my auto.

And I have got an engine oil cooler and an autobox oil cooler. Too early to tell but after 3hrs of driving at 30+C the oil temp have not moved above 90C, not by a degree. Hope it can cope well on track with current temps, I will have 3 days in 1 week shortly ;)

So far very enjoyable and very happy I have decided to take a plunge with FI, will post an update after few track days and more experience...

Dyno-TD Turbo.jpg

20180804_093154.jpg

20180804_093200.jpg

20180804_093232.jpg

14 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

You will have no problems with oil temps, mine never went above 106 degs at cadwell the other day, even after a 30 minute stint

Thats encouraging to hear. Do you have any data on the Turbo on track at all?

29 minutes ago, alucardo said:

Thats encouraging to hear. Do you have any data on the Turbo on track at all?

I am n/a but on the road on a hot day my oil doesn't get above 80. My recent trip to Cadwell was really hot, I didn't hold back and It never went over 106 so with all things being equal (which they are probably not) I reckon you will be seeing around 120 on track... disclaimer, no science was involved making this assumption

2 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

I am n/a but on the road on a hot day my oil doesn't get above 80. My recent trip to Cadwell was really hot, I didn't hold back and It never went over 106 so with all things being equal (which they are probably not) I reckon you will be seeing around 120 on track... disclaimer, no science was involved making this assumption

Andrew do you run an oil cooler?

FI generally runs a fair bit hotter then NA though. So always safe to keep an eye on it.

I did a 35 degree day at snetterton in my NA car and I was been particularly careful to keeps the stints short as I do not yet have an oil temp gauge to keep an eye on.

I run the TD oil cooler, pre cooler I would regularly see 126 degree and then back off even on a winter track day. Last time out with the cooler iirc the day was 29 degrees and I never saw the oil go above 106 even on a 30 minute stint. The heat this year has been exceptional so really I think that during more normal summer temps the oil will run even cooler. I use Torque pro to monitor oil and water temps and the water sits solidly at 90 whatever the outside temps, road or track it makes no difference to that

What auto box cooler did you have installed? 
Its part of "package" Mike put together for me, I wouldn't know the difference but he can proper comments/ details.

I will try TorquePro or OBDLink when I am on track, but I have not tried oil temp or engine temp reading via OBD before.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Short comment after track day at Castle Combe (more to follow after 2 more track days next week).

- Its A LOT MORE FUN on track! The downside though is that extra torque can both compensate for poor driving skills (in my case) but also be less forgiving (loosing traction with 9.5wide wheels in MPS 4 is easy again and going into oversteer at Castle Combe is not the experience I would have wanted on my 1st track day).

- Although my sessions were limited to 15mins max (semi open pit lane format), oil temp did not even get close to 130 (it was just over half way between 90 and 130, so say 115 ish?). Will see how it goes at Bedford next week where I will try 20mins. Will try Torque pro as well to get more accurate reading.

- I cant compare yet on a like-for-like track day, but going 120 mph before braking for Avon rise is very very addictive. 

- Its harder on brakes and tyres. I see noticeable wear on tyres as well and (although may be its my imagination) I think I noticed pads got thinner after this track day (and a day at Carlimits on Thursday). I don't really want to start changing pads specifically for track days (although may be time to learn it).

Further update to follow:)

Car looks great mate, I think you’re local to me. I work on North Weald Airfield at a company called Essex Emergency services. I see you’re car the other day at the M11 Harlow roundabout. Looks stunning! Can’t wait to turbo mine soon...

Right, had another track day at Brands Hatch. Bedford did not happen, but I had a day at Carlimits at North Weald Airfield + 2 track days in single week. Can now do some "like-for-like" comparison (even though this was only my 2nd day at Brands).

The car drives and feels completely different on a fun track like Brands. Its not as forgiving now as standard NA and few times I ended oversteering on Druids and Graham Hill bend (yes, more seat time and tuition required), but acceleration is just at different level. Even though it was fairly busy and I ended I recording only 2 last sessions, my best lap time for these 2 was 1:02:8 (and quite a few in 1:02-1:03) range vs 1:07-1:08 range previously. And that's on quite busy track - with some proper training and practice I now think under 1:00 may be doable. Top speed on Brabham straight is +10 mph (with good exit from Clearways I managed 118 mph before braking, admittedly only once) and overtaking slower VW GTs and Porshes now easier (although I still don't feel comfortable getting under car length to them going into corners).

Carrying more speed is definitely heavier on brakes and by the end of the evening I could smell the rubber and brakes (probably would need to upgrade pads earlier than I thought). ABS also engaged more often then previously (again, more practice needed).

I had 2 sessions with relatively short period when the day was drawing to a close: oil temp did not even get close to 130. Engine warning light came on after last session before going home. Torque Pro could not identify what it was but then it went away (will see if it comes back again, but hope not). May be heat as it was really hot under the bonnet.

And I had quite a few people stopping by, admiring and commenting on Mike's great work (shame I could not answer some of the technical questions). Think I was doing decent advertising for TD.

So, after 1k+  miles and some time on track -definitely glad I decided not to wait:). Now that I have the car I wanted I need to learn how to drive it properly...:D

Interested what times you manage at Combe, congrats on getting the turbo Vad! Looks great! 
Thanks

My first time at Combe and 1st proper track day with new turbo - was taking it easy.

Dont have video but timing was just over 1:30 (could have been slightly better last session as it was lot quieter on track, but guess will check it next time).

1 hour ago, VAD17 said:

Thanks

My first time at Combe and 1st proper track day with new turbo - was taking it easyemoji16.png.

Dont have video but timing was just over 1:30 (could have been slightly better last session as it was lot quieter on track, but guess will check it next time).

Yes Combe isn't somewhere to make big mistakes! I bet quarry proved how good the big brake kit is though, especially now you have the turbo!! If you'd like any help when you're there next let me know and I'll come down, I know Combe okay and I'm chasing 1:23's at Combe in the 105bhp MX5, an experience passengers tend not to enjoy aha. 

Glad you had a great day though and glad you didn't become another quarry statistic like me!!