Kevb86

Another Exhaust thread...sorry :-)

So I'm looking at doing my first major mod on my 86 and thought the best place to start is the exhaust. I've been doing a bit of research as you do and I've come to the conclusion that it's probably going to be between the Cobra non-resonated exhaust or the Japspeed exhaust. I've had a look at some of the old exhaust threads and saw that a couple of people weren't happy with how loud the Cobra exhaust is? Does anyone know if they have improved it? I've also watched a couple of videos on YouTube and I really like the sound of it more than the Japspeed one (obviously it will sound a bit different when your standing next to it). Couple of questions

Can anyone recommend either of these exhausts or any other good makes?

What's the quality like of them both

Is it something I could fit? I've got basic diy skills and would like to improve on these, am I right in thinking it's all done up with bolts?

Sorry again for another exhaust thread and quite long :-/. I would like to get a new one on for August bank holiday or at the latest JAE.

Thanks

Kev

There is the Milltek option, though I will shortly be having my fourth fitted! This is due to it cracking, though all have been replaced under warranty. They have now incorporated a flexi pipe and a few other modifications to prevent this. In the 68K miles I've done though, all have been replaced without quibble under warranty, so hopefully the next one will go the distance.

A second cat delete is worth considering too. 

There aren't that many other exhausts that I would personally get besides the Cobra as I really like the deep tone with less tinny rattles at high revs. I'm sure others will pipe up but you might want to meet up with some of us with the Cobra system to hear exactly how loud they can be. I had to swap for a resonated pipe in the end as I failed the noise test at Snetterton which has a limit of 105dbs, I got 108dbs which is pretty loud when you think about it. This was after a couple of months after they were installed so they would have carboned up and technically quietened down by then plus I also had the 2nd CAT delete as well which didn't help. I could have probably lived with it but because I wanted to be able to get on track and didn't want to drive the neighbours crazy, I decided to change....you know when your exhaust is too loud when you're setting off car alarms upon start up.

I looked for months for the right exhaust for our 86. I was going for the SP elite but was concerned it was going to be to quiet/similar to standard. 

I ended up with the AVO turboworld 2.5" exhaust and fitted it about 3 weeks ago. And have been really happy with it. bought via Fensport who where great to deal with

All I wanted was something a little more fruitier than standard but not to loud if your on the Motorway. And I know I made the right choice. 

AVO gets my vote 

I know it's probably a little late but on the other side they're planning an early October sing along to compare noise and possibly dyno runs for those who want to know how well the mods are working.

Invidia, GReddy, AVO, Cobra, JDL, Tomei are all very good exhausts. 

YouTube is always your friend with this, plus if you do get to go to a meet beforehand, there are plenty of different combinations. How far are you wanting to go back? Just the catback, or front pipe as well?

The biggest factor people look over is the drone too. Many people hate the drone on motorway runs, and certain exhausts will be better than others with that. 

I know it's probably a little late but on the other side they're planning an early October sing along to compare noise and possibly dyno runs for those who want to know how well the mods are working.

It's posted on here too.

Thanks for the comments it's definitely helped, I'm probably going to go for the Cobra resonated though as I would like to do a few trackdays in the future. I will just be doing back to the cat for the moment, I will eventually change the whole system, but I'm a bit short of cash over the next couple of months. I'll be at Japfest 2 in a couple of weeks, so I'll politely ask for a rev off to make my mind set on which one. :-D. Anyone had a go at fitting an exhaust on the 86?

Cheers for comments

Kev.

Kev - if you are looking for a bargain resonated Cobra exhaust check out my ebay auction:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cobra-Sport-TOYOTA-GT86-Subaru-BRZ-Resonated-Stainless-Steel-Cat-Back-Exhaust-/111733204992?hash=item1a03d16800

I reverted mine back to a standard exhaust at the weekend and it took me 30 mins and that included jacking the car up. Only four bolts connect the centre and rear section together.

I watched as the guys at Abbey Motorsports fitted mine and it looks pretty straightforward, but that's assuming you've got the right tools and can lift the car high enough. Plus I'll be there at Japfest 2 too.