Sign in to follow this  
smudge

1a tyres for track use

I'm sure this question has probably been asked a few times before, but what tyres would people recommend that are on the MSA 1a tyre list for track use?

I don't want semi-slicks or anything in the 1b category as that'll put me into the pro class of TSS - and I'm NOT going up against Adrian!

So what would you recommend I stick on my track wheels?

There are no semi-slicks in the 1a category as far as i'm aware! I'm actually quite liking my Dunlop Sportmaxx RT's at the moment. What tyres were you running before?

I've been considering either the Nankang NS2 or the Federal 595 as the 1b version of those tyres have had praise from members on here so hopefully the 1a versions are almost as good

There are no semi-slicks in the 1a category as far as i'm aware! I'm actually quite liking my Dunlop Sportmaxx RT's at the moment. What tyres were you running before?

I know there aren't, hense why I said I want to stick to the 1a list as I don't want semi slicks to put me into the 1b category and therefore the Pro Class for TSS

I've been considering either the Nankang NS2 or the Federal 595 as the 1b version of those tyres have had praise from members on here so hopefully the 1a versions are almost as good

Had the 595's before, wasn't blown away by the grip levels tbh

Had the 595's before, wasn't blown away by the grip levels tbh

Based on tyre reviews I was more leaning towards the nankangs but I was looking for a decent budget tyre for a dry track

Dont confuse the NS2-R with the NS2, both completely different. the 'R' is build from scratch as a motorsport biased tyre i.e. its not a road tyre construction with a sticky compound added.

Dont confuse the NS2-R with the NS2, both completely different. the 'R' is build from scratch as a motorsport biased tyre i.e. its not a road tyre construction with a sticky compound added.

They are also in the 1b list though.

You also run NS2-R Lee? That'd be the 3rd, including me, that use them on the 86 that I know of and I've seen some good reviews on some other decent spec cars too. But yes, the standard NS2 is a very different tyre.

I ran NS2r's at the first round of Time Attack and very quicly realised they run out of grip too soon. A reasonable track day tyre in terms of wear etc..

They are also in the 1b list though.

Yeah I know - I just mentioned it as I assumed he was thinking about the NS2's because of the NS2R's rep.

You also run NS2-R Lee? That'd be the 3rd, including me, that use them on the 86 that I know of and I've seen some good reviews on some other decent spec cars too. But yes, the standard NS2 is a very different tyre.

I do - no complaints with them yet (see below) I have noticed a lot of tyre roar from them on most surfaces though

I ran NS2r's at the first round of Time Attack and very quicly realised they run out of grip too soon. A reasonable track day tyre in terms of wear etc..

Not comparable outright grip wise to a V70a, R888, dg03 etc etc but I rate them higher than the 595rs's. They have also lasted a really really well (6 trackdays so far plus 6k road miles atleast)

Lee yes better than 595r and a fair track day tyre as you say, last TA I was on DZ03G and the difference was massive. But to be fair so is the price. With 1a tyres it's very harx to choose, as you have to think of wet performace in this country sadly, think a lot of it is personal choice.

Lee yes better than 595r and a fair track day tyre as you say, last TA I was on DZ03G and the difference was massive. But to be fair so is the price. With 1a tyres it's very harx to choose, as you have to think of wet performace in this country sadly, think a lot of it is personal choice.

Yep - I havent tried multiple tyres on the 86 yet for direct comparison purposed like you. But my old car (Nige with the Blue / white mini you spoke to at brands TA) went 2 seconds quicker in the final after changing the 595s out to 3 year old worn v70a's.

Yep it's a tough choice, I run Contisport 5's in the TSS as the class is 1a tyres. They are lacking in dry grip IMHO but very good in wet conditions. Got any multi compound inters lol

The problem us for people trying to stick in their classes for the tss, 1b puts you straight in to pro. So there is a case of shifting through the shit tyres. There are 2 or 3 gems I feel in the 1a list but it seems to be dependant on driving style also.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

my problem for TSS is I don't have a great deal of money to spend on tyres if I were to try and do the full series which is why I was trying to look for a decent grip in the dry budget for the 1A but from what everyone seems to be saying is I'm going to be out of luck :/

Well, the point of the 1A list is that it's road tyres, so why not just run with that. Or alternatively don't worry about your tyres, use the Primacy tyres, I do and I'm still winning on them despite having less grip than my rivals. Get out there, learn to drive on the Primacy tyre, don't get obsessed with maximum grip and hone your skills. That way it will cost you nothing.