Gringosteve

Gringo's 86

i thought it was time to start logging down work on my GT86.

I bought the car around 4 weeks ago, here she is waiting at the dealership. Just less than 3 yrs old with only 15,000 on the clock with leather/alacantra and Sat Nav:

746249e3a2347e1ab37ea884754e67c6.jpg

1ed2e03f439b36e216c6db8c9875eacf.jpg

My initial focus was tidy-up work. Although the car was in great condition, I am very picky and so found a few items that needed attention.

My first job was getting the Sat Nav sorted. It kept crashing and didn't want to play nice with my iPhone 6. The firmware was too far out of date to update so Rich at RRG Macc sorted me a replacement sat Nav module which also upgraded the main unit firmware. Problem solved.

Whilst it was at RRG I also had the gear knob replaced, the top of the original was coming off. I guess it had been overtightened or something.

The previous owner had added TRD valve nuts which were looking a bit crud (and one was missing) so these got swapped out for standard black items.

Finally I got my private plates swapped over (after patiently waiting for 2 weeks) and debadged the rear. I also removed all of the annoying Toyota stickers..5 years warrenty, Club Toyota etc etc..

www.im-tuned.uk

Next up was sorting the interior lighting. The standard festoon bulb was as useful as a candle, so I replaced with a 16 SMD LED bulb. It now feels like day time when the light comes on, I reckon these could almost give you a Tan ;)

cd295eec3e68505399bab74cc7efa267.jpg

The light is white in the real world, not blue as the camera shows!

I also have a big problem with orange indicator bulbs so have bought the obligatory Chrome bulbs ready for fitment. I also have some LED wedge bulbs salvaged from a previous car ready for the number plate lights. Hope to fit these over the next few days. My long term plan is to switch out for smoked Valenti or Buddy club lights.

Here are the rears fitted:

7c6f705bdb4dbb9018b3cec3612f8515.jpg

I haven't purchased the wing indicator chrome bulbs yet.. they will be next up:

Mods List:

Fit Private Plate - DONE

Debadge - DONE

Chrome Indicators - DONE

Noise Generator Tweak - DONE

LED Number plate lights

Chrome side indicators

Caliper tidy up/paint

Drop In Filter - DONE

2nd Decat - Purchased

Arm Rest

Valenti Lights

Rear visor type spoiler

Remap (ecutek or tablet?)

Finally found an android tablet (Asus T101) that I had forgotten about. Today's task is getting it to run again and looking at installing Torque, and possibly a custom mount ;)

78cfbf8139c2244cd9ddc2a4838d188d.jpg

348533d53e05fd98ee2d7da100af67a9.jpg

Fitted the front chrome indicators today also. Attempted to fit the LED number plate bulbs but they are too long to safely fit

www.im-tuned.uk

The battery is cooked in the tablet so whilst I wait for a replacement I am updating to a custom ROM

New Windscreen is now fitted also :)

www.im-tuned.uk

I have a tablet which is dead as a dodo aswell lol

Tablet is now up and running but still in need of a new battery. I have managed to custom ROM load Lollipop which was a right pain in the arse

d9e789ec9c7504bafdf469c27fb45471.jpg

Runs DashCommand well, what other tools do you guys recommend?

www.im-tuned.uk

Got my car back from the paint shop yesterday. They resprayed the rear bumper after a chipsaway bod screwed the paint before purchase. I gave her a quick clean ready for JDMNorth tonight

12fd019dc4e7d4964f0d7b487de28744.jpg

Also got my name in Car Magazine so I'm famous :)

c0a23e52ba37e4b20b3fe9458d07b75d.jpg

And chose a decent skin for Dash Command;

f63628d71bf61c6d051565e580d45517.jpg

www.im-tuned.uk

New Dixcel ES pads purchased. Will post a full review once fitted. Thanks to Burn! Motorsport

http://www.burnmotorsport.com/products-309/toyota/r35-gtr-742/pad-compound/es-type/product-type/braking-system/brake-component-type/brake-pads.html

I have read good things in the US forums about these pads. I wanted something road friendly as I am not planning on hitting the track.

...and an Xmas present mod arrived today ready for fitting in the new year

New Dixcel ES pads purchased. Will post a full review once fitted. Thanks to Burn! Motorsport

http://www.burnmotorsport.com/products-309/toyota/r35-gtr-742/pad-compound/es-type/product-type/braking-system/brake-component-type/brake-pads.html

I have read good things in the US forums about these pads. I wanted something road friendly as I am not planning on hitting the track.

...and an Xmas present mod arrived today ready for fitting in the new year

Looking forward to your review.