Nicebiscuit

Review: GT86 Primo - a week in.

Thought I might put up some thoughts, not least as I think I'm the only one on here with one of these, and might be useful to those coming on here considering spec.

So basically I bought this car because I wanted a GT86, I wanted a new one, and I wanted to spend as little as possible so that my children could still afford shoes (when outside the car, naturally)

No point in dwelling on the car in general, except to note that all the gushing reviews since 2012 seem pretty much spot on, and in particular Toyota appear to have made electric power steering actually communicate (which is a first for me).

So, what do you miss out on by going poverty spec?

- No Xenon headlights or led running lights. I have halogen projectors which I actually think quite clean looking. Still has running lights but uses the fog lamps to do this.

- No spoiler. A matter of preference, but one advantage is that I don't have any inconvenient holes in the bootlid either should I want to fit an aftermarket one.

- Manual aircon. I don't mind this as you get nice big old fashioned rotary controls you can use without taking eyes off the road. And it still will make you hot or cold as required.

- No cruise control. Doesn't bother me, but might be deal breaker for others.

- No start button. Mine has a proper old fashioned key. Probably takes up less room in your pocket. There's another fringe benefit here too. Because there's no starter button, the tray next to the USB and aux sockets is usefully bigger and fit your phone/iPod/whatever.

I think that's about it. Still has folding mirrors, Touch hi(ish)-fi, the same seats, nice leather wheel and same trim. And most importantly same engine and running gear. Mine has the same wheels, but if you ordered now you'd get some rather pretty 16' Enkeis instead and save a few more quid.

For me it keeps all the important bits and saves a few quid - a bit like the Renaultsport Cup cars. It also makes it serious value and is priced against very unexciting variants of BMW and VW coupes.

Other than that, after a week of ownership what strikes me is the stuff you wouldn't expect. Sure it's a lovely sports car, but I'd expect that. However it's also surprisingly useable transport. The boot is Ok, it's not unacceptably noisy, 6th gear is high enough for relaxed motorway cruising, the seats are comfy and even the back seats are perfectly viable for a young family providing the adults aren't too tall. The interior quality is also fine. It seems to be made from typical Japanese plastics that don't exactly look hard wearing, but yet somehow look exactly the same 15 years later (see Toyota Carina minicabs)

In summary, as viable second car transport for a slightly petrol-headed family of four it works a treat. This car is not just for the childless!

Enough for now. I think I've just thought of something I need to nip out for...

I wish I had rotary controls, a key to start it and no boot spoiler. You also don't have the ugly headlamp washers.

When I bought my project car, the Primo wasn't available.. Do you still have keyless entry?

Enough for now. I think I've just thought of something I need to nip out for...

Being another Macc lad you'll have to do what I did and start shopping at Morrisons in Buxton, anytime the Wife mentioned we were running low I had the choice of Tescos near RRG or Morrisons at the other end of the A537 and you know the engine in the new car won't get warmed up properly just going to Tescos  :D

If you fancy a drive out in the Peaks some time let me know

Alec

I wish I had rotary controls, a key to start it and no boot spoiler. You also don't have the ugly headlamp washers.

When I bought my project car, the Primo wasn't available.. Do you still have keyless entry?

No. I have to press a button on the key. Can't say it's a huge hardship. :-D

The carbon effect surround is a MY2015 thing. They all have it.

Sounds like you're enjoying the car Mr Biscuit. Get those 1000 miles done! :)

I really am. More than I expected to be honest. It feels like a much older car. In a good way. Like a brand new classic. Round of applause to the Japanese for building it.

out of all the differences on the primo the only thing I'd want from it is the manual aircon controls, so much simpler, I can never get the right setting I want straight away and those headlights are to chromey for my liking, would be better with black inserts (possible mod for the future if you fancied it)

out of all the differences on the primo the only thing I'd want from it is the manual aircon controls, so much simpler, I can never get the right setting I want straight away and those headlights are to chromey for my liking, would be better with black inserts (possible mod for the future if you fancied it)

Everything that's chromey would be better black... Am thinking about it...

Do it, do it, do it! :D

Everything I do of that kind is done very slowly... I may start a poor-boys project thread though. To give normal people hope. You know.... Perhaps giving guidance on the best air freshener and road atlases :-D

But since you ask - most likely wheels, black bits and probably some audio in due course (simply because I want DAB and can get a whole head unit for the price of upgrading)

My inspiration is this...

86bfa2331a991e5439032f18d34d5609.jpg

Not a bad choice of inspiration, I'll be looking out for the poor boys thread as it could give me ideas as I'm on a shoestring budget

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

It feels like a much older car. In a good way. Like a brand new classic. Round of applause to the Japanese for building it.

My thoughts exactly and the reason I own one :)

The primo looks like a good buy if you don't need the comforts, I'd have gone for it myself I reckon.... Buuuut how would the ECUtek remap work? It uses cruise control to change map so if that isn't available there must be another way

The primo looks like a good buy if you don't need the comforts, I'd have gone for it myself I reckon.... Buuuut how would the ECUtek remap work? It uses cruise control to change map so if that isn't available there must be another way

Hmmm. Perhaps you have to flash the headlamps twice and tune to Radio 2?

You don't have to have multiple maps ;)

There are 2 alternate ways to map switch, using the defogger is the most common.

Good review Mr Biscuit, don't forget about that shark-fin antenna! Also did the dealership not top up the fuel for you??

Jury's out on the shark fin. FM reception is a bit pants to be honest. Possibly a case of form over function...

That's interesting, because with climate control you have it at a temperature and you don't have to touch it. For example I have mine at 19C. I don't alter it, or change it around, I just get in and it will maintain that temperature. Much less fiddling than having to constantly adjust fan speeds and temperature. I think with climate control you need to get used to just leaving it at a set temperature and letting it do the rest. 

That's interesting, because with climate control you have it at a temperature and you don't have to touch it. For example I have mine at 19C. I don't alter it, or change it around, I just get in and it will maintain that temperature. Much less fiddling than having to constantly adjust fan speeds and temperature. I think with climate control you need to get used to just leaving it at a set temperature and letting it do the rest.

I'm always adjusting the temp as sometimes I want a blast of Lo when it's really hot or sometimes want a gentle breeze rather than full