Test Drives Unlimited

GT86 Reverse Camera Kit

Install links and images for Fensport Rear View Camera Kit

I've been looking for ages for easy install instructions as my Fensport Kit didn't come with any and everyone online seems to have a different kit with and without harnesses. So here are a few links to videos I used when installing mine. Not all of every video is relevant, but at least all the links are in one place here.

1. Check Head Unit receives signal when reverse is engaged.

Both my brother's and my cars had this already working. Follow this video to access the service menu of the HU. In "General" (I think - have a play - you'll find it) you'll see reverse as "No". Engage reverse (engine doesn't have to be on) and this will change to yes. GREAT!! If this doesn't happen for you, two of the videos below show how to add one wire to inform the HU when reverse is engaged.

Ok so the video doesnt show English headings, but it's essentially the 'navigation volume'...also I think it's more the rate of taps and not the actual number...not sure...but it's easy enough to access. 

2. HU removal and plugging harness into HU - note these videos show tapping etc but the Fensport kit didn't any :)

The video above I found really useful as he installs the exact same camera harness as Fensport into a set up with SatNav, so if you've already got Sat Nav OEM fitted, it's a useful heads up.

3.Video and PDF guide of principles of wiring through boot/trim & cutting hole for camera

http://carboncarsystems.com.au/files/gt86-reverse-cam.pdf

IMG_0318.PNG

I had mine on the shelf from quite a few months ago so when wiring the Valenti bumper light all went to pot I thought I'd do the camera.

few points - especially if fensport see the thread...

1. the hole drill bit is too small by about 2mm. Nothing a litttle file couldn't sort. Don't hesitate to be bloody forceful getting the camera into the drilled hole. 

2. My HU had the 'camera' socket already plugged with an adaptor with one red wire going to pin 3. The camera adapter supplied had a wire in pin 3 anyway amoungst a few more lol. So we just swapped them out anyway and all was fine. Adapters were bloody stiff to remove too...not exactly as easy as the vids suggested 

3. The cable FROM the HU is massive so you have loads of rooms for manoeuvre. We routed mine down he passenger silk trim, around the rear speaker and into the boot.

4. Cable FROM camera is TOO SHORT to go from the the boot lid and through the rubber housing into to boot cavity itself. This is a bit bad. I tried pulling the cable from the HU into the boot, but getting it through the rubber wasn't gonna happen. Instead I taped the connection and hid it behind the grommit. 

On 06/01/2017 at 9:44 AM, ABs_GT said:

I had mine on the shelf from quite a few months ago so when wiring the Valenti bumper light all went to pot I thought I'd do the camera.

few points - especially if fensport see the thread...

1. the hole drill bit is too small by about 2mm. Nothing a litttle file couldn't sort. Don't hesitate to be bloody forceful getting the camera into the drilled hole. 

2. My HU had the 'camera' socket already plugged with an adaptor with one red wire going to pin 3. The camera adapter supplied had a wire in pin 3 anyway amoungst a few more lol. So we just swapped them out anyway and all was fine. Adapters were bloody stiff to remove too...not exactly as easy as the vids suggested 

3. The cable FROM the HU is massive so you have loads of rooms for manoeuvre. We routed mine down he passenger silk trim, around the rear speaker and into the boot.

4. Cable FROM camera is TOO SHORT to go from the the boot lid and through the rubber housing into to boot cavity itself. This is a bit bad. I tried pulling the cable from the HU into the boot, but getting it through the rubber wasn't gonna happen. Instead I taped the connection and hid it behind the grommit. 

I'm just about to order one of these myself - Fensport advised it was 3 hours labour at £50+VAT (therefore £180 fitting)

Think this is a bit steep personally so will try install myself - hoping i don't need to be very electrically minded for this??

also, is point 4 been sorted on more recent kits anybody?