Gringosteve

Bacon smell

I had my first proper drive in my car today over the fun roads to work. After giving it some beans (nothing crazy) I noticed a bacon smell in the car. I'm assuming this is burnt oil or something. Car is under warranty but wondered if this was a common quirk of the engine before I take it for further investigation

Luckily I like the smell of Bacon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never had any bacon smells in the car before but the green goo never really burns off, it's there to protect the engine so it'll stay around for a while.

Check to see if you have the oil weep - if you put your hand down the back of the engine on the drivers side and run your fingers over the edge of the triangular plate you may find oil. It actually comes from further down the block, gathers here and drips onto the exhaust. This then gives you a burning smell (although I wouldn't describe it as bacon!)

The dealer fix is to remove the plate, clean it up, add new sealant and replace. It may happen again, or if you're lucky, may be fine. Alternatively, you can buy 3rd party plates that have a rubberised seal embedded in them that should hopefully form a better seal. I've got one of these, just haven't got to the point of fitting it yet.

Great thanks, Will double check, is there a dealer fix for the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are the 'fixes' people mentioned but the plate is a red herring - it's just where the oil gathers the leak is from further down the block. There is a dealer fix and RRG have fixed mine after a botched effort from the supplying dealer.