trashy

Everything on OR sport mode OR traction control off

OK - 1000 mile running in period all done and starting to have some fun :)

During "spirited driving", i.e. exploiting some of the capabilities of the car when safe to do so, what mode are you using?  

For me (when the roads are dry):

everything on is a total no-no

sport mode is too intrusive on my favourite corners

traction control off (holding the traction control button for 5s) seems to be perfect

My '93 mx5 turbo has absolutely no driver aids so I guess I've learnt the hard way when not to be a total knob...

For me it has to be everything off I find the aids to intrusive for my driving style I like to feel the back end stepping out, having said that when it is slightly damp I prefer to have it running on sport mode as can help prevent a potential spin

Daily driving I just leave it all standard

On the track, everything off

^this.

I normally leave it all standard on the road unless it's bone dry and then maybe sport mode.

Off on the track.

Normally all on, mostly because I keep on forgetting about it. Turned it all off once to see if I could drift around a tight bend, did it but faced a lamp post which I managed to recover from but that meant never trying that again until I've had more experience going sideways, otherwise I don't really see the point of turning it all off while on public roads. On track fair enough but again I keep on forgetting about it.

Genuinely Interesting comments.  I'm not talking about drifting on public roads - I'm talking about just getting the back end moving a bit on the exit of corners.  Our cars don't have lots of grip but they do have good poise and balance and it would be a crying shame not to exploit this when safe to do so.

There is one particular corner near me - good visibility, up hill, slightly loose surface - give it a few revs on turn-in and the back end moves a bit - minor steering correction and you're away neatly up the hill.  Lovely feeling.   

I always drive in Sport Mode. Never with all the bad aids on. Occasionally if I'm going to be naughty I will turn everything off, have  play on say a given corner or roundabout, but then I will put it back in Sport mode afterwards. 

The other thing I do if I think I'm going to need a sharp exit out of a junction is turn the traction control off. Otherwise if there is any wheel spin the ECU just kills the throttle. Obviously it comes back on again over 30mph. 

If I'm on track or sprinting then everything must go off. At Snett some mentioned that it may be quicker to drive in Sport mode, but really that's not driving it properly to me, so it must all be off when on track. 

I just leave it as it is at the moment, once I'm used to it I imagine I'll switch to sport or all off. First RWD experience so not going to take the pee. Need to find somewhere to have a play really so I can get used to dealing with any twitches.

It all depends on driver skill. I would never suggest to anyone to turn off the driving aids completely on public roads, as its not my call as to weather one is good enough to catch whatever could potentially happen.

Even the best drivers can be caught out. It is one thing invoking oversteer and controlling the car, it is another thing hitting some mud (that you cant see) at 50mph on a corner and responding quick enough to stop you hitting a tree/lamb post/other car.

Personally I leave it all on but I drive on tight twisty country roads and tend to try to drive cleanly enough ti dones get in the way. It goes into sport mode or off on track where it is safe if I have a moment.

It all depends on driver skill. I would never suggest to anyone to turn off the driving aids completely on public roads, as its not my call as to weather one is good enough to catch whatever could potentially happen.

Even the best drivers can be caught out. It is one thing invoking oversteer and controlling the car, it is another thing hitting some mud (that you cant see) at 50mph on a corner and responding quick enough to stop you hitting a tree/lamb post/other car.

Personally I leave it all on but I drive on tight twisty country roads and tend to try to drive cleanly enough ti dones get in the way. It goes into sport mode or off on track where it is safe if I have a moment.

A what now? :lol:

Tbh I remember my first race in an RX8 where we told we had to leave the stability control on. It nearly killed me. The reality is I feel that I would have been safer with it off, so stability control is not always a good thing.

However, if I'm driving briskly on the road, I don't want lots of slip at higher speeds as there is nothing to be gained and it is the public road after all. I do feel that if it's not in Sport mode, it just allows you nothing before intervening whereas in Sport mode you can at least have a little bit of slip, albeit not much.

Many thanks for the various comments.  My current view is that Sport mode doesn't allow quite enough slip on the road, but that's probably because I'm used to a more powerful RWD car with no stability aids at all.

I'm really looking forward to taking the BRZ out on track later this year.  I've done about 20 track days over the last couple of years in either my Mx5 turbo or Integra DC2 and itching to see how the BRZ compares!

Thought I recognised the user name from somewhere else ;)

I remember our chat on itr-dc2.com now - thanks for the advice re the BRZ, it's pretty much as I expected/hoped :)

I used to be on itr-dc2.com, back in 2008 or so! 

Unfortunately itr-dc2.com is really quiet nowadays - too many crashed or scrapped DC2s I suppose.  I had my first DC2 for four years and loved it, had a gap, then bought another but it didn't feel the same.  Hence the BRZ!

I keep it on everything on in the wet, sport mode in the dry when I find a nice road and then everything off when I find a nice open space to have a play around :) 

Don't see the point of risking yourself and car on narrow roads with traffic etc, without having some assistance there. 

I'm not used to driver aids so when I remember I put it into sport mode (especially after its twice decided I should suddenly go straight whilst going around roundabouts, once with a lorry where it thought I should going - bit of a surprise I must admit).  I'm just forgetful and keep forgetting the press the button.  Since I've read this post I've decided to try it with everything off and OK so both times the roads were nice and dry, but the car's so well balanced that I seem to have to really try to get the back end to step out (or maybe I'm just a slow driver!!).

i had an interesting take on this at the oulton park day yesterday. After a few laps with the instructor i asked him about it and he said leave them on, if you drive smoothly it won't interfere and it won't impede your speed. There again he may have just been politely commenting on my dodgy driving skills :)

You can definitly go faster with VSC in sport mode; a bit of rear end movement can be helpful. It all depends on confidence levels.

4 wheel drfiting can be scary and exciting. Jolyon was 4 wheel drfiting the TMG cup car yesterday, it was amazing.

Some the guys/girls here are very good drivers and enjoy turning it all off, but if you are a novice and find the VSC is interfecting alot, when you least expect it, then perhaps you should work on that not happening first.