GT86-Ian

Rear Parcel Shelf removal.

You may of seen some videos that say you need to remove the side panels when taking the rear shelf out, After speaking to another member I found this is not the case & as I had already removed the oem rear brake light wanted to get this done.

First start off by dropping down the rear seat back this will reveal four plastic clips that need to be removed.

bf3pu0.jpg

Put your fingers under the middle of the fabric & gently lift & work your hands left & right to release the four clips holding the shelf to the metal body of the car, once done lift a little in the middle & pull one of the ends out.

316k876.jpg

You'll notice from the picture above the long bit of plastic has been removed, Im not sure if its really necessary to remove this but if you do its only held on with three clips both sides, lift & rotate & its off.

10ngv0z.jpg

This is the underside of the shelf showing the two centre clips & the plastic welds that will need to be drilled out to remove the main body of the brake light.

125qafd.jpg

14bpbhl.jpg

21caump.jpg

Once you've recovered the shelf this slot on the right.

sy1img.jpg

Attaches to this.

116qglv.jpg

Refitting is very easy.

2mzjmrr.jpg

And you could end up with a much better view out of the rear window.

2li8p36.jpg

sd3ear.jpg

Thanks for posting this Ian,

I struggled to remove mine as i didnt realise there were vertical poppers holding it down!!

Just a question, not a dig.. is it legal to remove the high level brake light? Will it pass an MOT? I want to not have mine as i want to totally remove the metal shelf, let alone the carpeted cover!!

Thanks for the information Ian.

I hadn't realised the AM light was fitted to your car. Good to know the law on the high level light, I really don't want that in my RB car.

Thanks for the information Ian.I hadn't realised the AM light was fitted to your car. Good to know the law on the high level light, I really don't want that in my RB car.

Nigel if you still want a third brake light but not the stock high level you could always wire it in to the lower fog light area at the bottom of the bumper thats what I ended up doing

Nigel if you still want a third brake light but not the stock high level you could always wire it in to the lower fog light area at the bottom of the bumper thats what I ended up doing

Thanks Adam,

I don't actually "want" a third brake light, but am just wondering whether I "need" one?

Don't know how it's in UK, but here in LV if car in stock has 3rd brake light, it MUST have it to pass yearly inspection (of course it's up to chance/inspector checking, if it will be known/noticed).

Meanwhile i hope that this guy will resume making his 3rd brake lights sooner. Like it due its blended single bar color tone more. Lightweightness due CF usage matters less, but price compared to Intec one might be putting off more people.

I took mine out and moved it to the Spoiler I fitted. 

Had cops pass, sitting behind and never been mentioned. 

As long as it's visible. Bright enough and not blocked by anything then it should be fine. 

I had to move mine as once i'd fitted the spoiler it sat inline with the 3rd brake light and you couldn't see it from the car behind. 

Spoiler .. IIRC i read one post, that 3rd brake light in stock low spoiler/trunk won't do, as that brake light needs some minimum height from ground (just like front fog lights height from ground is regulated). Don't remember in which gt86 forum i saw that, and about which country rules it was. My guess is that it might also be the reason why toyota added that 'spaceship' floating above parcel shelf for car to be legal universally in as many countries/markets as possible. Though hmm .. maybe not, after all, these aftermarket brake lights in top of rear window are even higher then that. Though then .. hmm, but won't they limit already little headroom there is for kids on backseats?

.. who cares :). I'll replace with windowtop mounted one and will forget about this issue/spaceship. :)

Oh there goes more money out my bank account...

I hate the 3rd brake light in this car, complete eyesore. Not to mention it doesn't look great against LED brake lights.

How easy is it to recover the parcel shelf? Anyone know where to source  material which will match the stock fitted carpet?

18 minutes ago, Varelco said:

Oh there goes more money out my bank account...

I hate the 3rd brake light in this car, complete eyesore. Not to mention it doesn't look great against LED brake lights.

How easy is it to recover the parcel shelf? Anyone know where to source  material which will match the stock fitted carpet?

@Mark-in-Stoke is probably the man to have a chat with on this

On 26/04/2016 at 2:47 PM, daidaiiro said:

Just heard from James at Amber, they are expecting stock of the Intec high level brake light in a couple of weeks.

Ouch! Amber is listing them at £149.94 plus carriage!

Considering they're $149.95 plus carriage from the US seems like taking the piss to me. Any other suppliers of these over here?

29 minutes ago, daidaiiro said:

Considering they're $149.95 plus carriage from the US seems like taking the piss to me. Any other suppliers of these over here?

you've got to take into account for import charges when getting things from the states though, also I think Amber are going to do a group buy of them soon

It's usually the way things are daidaiiro, games are $50 in the US and £50 in the UK (typically), the FRS was $25,000 in the US where as the UK was £25,000

4 hours ago, daidaiiro said:

$150 is currently ~ £115. Then add the cost of shipping, tax and duty.....

Hey guys. This is my first post despite having my GT86 for over 3 years.

I totally agree that the upper rear brake light is an eyesore!! I'm running Valenti tail lights and the Valenti bumper light wired so the triangle operates as a brake light too.

Looking into the Intec option...it's not E marked, so is it legal on UK roads? If it's not legal, are there any alternatives with OEM plugs for simple connectivity?