JamesP1991

Chips and Dinks

Hi everyone,

Washed my car at the weekend given the weather was beautiful and I managed to find a few new chips in the paintwork. There is a couple on the bonnet that are very deep and have managed to take the lacquer off the paintwork as well as a few on the front splitter and the top of the roof!

Now I don't drive my car that often and rarely on the motorway now, so my question was, does anyone else seem to suffer from chips and dinks on their car as easily and badly as me?

Seems like the 86 is a magnet for chipped paintwork which I have not encountered on any of my previous cars before!

Anyone else have any problems with it too? Really annoys me as when you see them they stick out like a sore thumb from then on!

Any tips to try and prevent it too?

Yup, ignoring the one side of my car, I have a deep chip on the edge between the roof and windscreen which started to rust as well as other chips here and there (even got a chip/crack on the windscreen :() but that's partly due to the poor roads and soft paint. I'm sure we're all suffering.

I've got loads tbh. My car is peppered on the front. I've also got two on the roof that have gone rusty and two chips in my windscreen which have been there for well over a year and haven't got any worse. 

It's just inevitable really. It doesn't help that the bumper is black underneath the paint so it really shows. I'm sure though you can get that stuff sorted out when you have the rest of your car repaired. 

Soft paint for sure Rob detailed mine last year but even though I have used a wash mit and been very careful it still marks to the point I have given up I wash my Yaris and wifes KA with a brick and they don't have a mark :(

Thankfully none of mine are starting to rust... Yet! When I bought the car I took out smart insurance that covers bodywork and paint damage so might get them done through that.

I feel slightly better now that you guys have also suffered a similar problem, wonder why they have made the paint so thin on it? As I said above I have never experienced it this bad with any of my other cars.

Now I prefer the "driven" look, not the type of show pony that gets wheeled out every 4 months for a show, but I want to try and protect the paintwork as best I can!

Does anyone know if there Is something out there at all that can act as a protector on the paint to stop it chipping so easy?

It doesn't help that the bumper is black underneath the paint so it really shows. 

Bollocks, I thought after the black Megane showing white through I was being clever buying a white car haha  :lol:

Having owned a Renaultsport my expectations of paint quality are pretty bloody low, I still think I'll have a little cry when I find the first chip though.

*edit* Thought this was in the wrong section at first as I read the title as 'Chips and Drinks' lol

Chipex make a really good guaranteed paint match touch up system for these sort of occasions, have used it before on other cars and if applied correctly you cant tell its been touched in, a really easy system to use. Another way of protecting the pain other than a clean vinyl is to use a ceramic coating on the car ( acts liie a wax ) however it dries hard as glass and helps provide a barrier on the car to help prevent chips and light abrasions some are easier to apply than other and the price varies carbon collective make a really easy to use coating called platinum paint and oracle I have used both products and would recommend them as there are inexpensive and work very well

All modern car paint is relatively soft compared to the stuff they used years ago (following the switch to water based paint and the banning of lead etc.). However, it would appear that the lacquer coatings used on top that protect the soft paint (from scratching and fading) themselves vary between manufacturers in terms of hardness, and both Toyota and Subaru have a reputation for it being on the soft end of the scale (see table at bottom of this article - http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/car-care-blog/detailing/paint/ ).

Wrapping everything in clear plastic wrap can have its own issues and problems. But other than that there really isn't much you can do (and we all seem to have roof chips, no doubt to do with the aerodynamics of the body shape), although if you do enjoy waxing your car (and if I have time, and weather permitting, I do) then 3, 4 or more layers of a paste wax will do no harm at all in terms of protection, or in helping things shine too of course  ;)