Captain Duff

USB slot question

Sorry if this is obvious or daft, but given my age I'm a complete idiot when it comes to anything technology related these days.

That USB slot behind the flappy cover below the radio unit - I've had a look in the manual and it appears to be related to playing external music devices through the cars amp and speakers (no doubt containing tracks from some of these new fangled beat combos). I get that. But I'm assuming it also, like most USB thingies, will also charge the unit that is connected on the other end of the USB cable? And if it does act as a USB charging point would it be possible to plug my lad's USB charged Kindle Fire into it on long journeys, or would that either stop the radio/CD working while it was plugged in or worse  risk completely fecking everything up (either with the Kindle or the head unit or both)?

Yes it charges but only at 0.5A so if you're using it as a satnav & playing music etc you'll probably find it still drains, but slowly. I use a usb port in the 12v outlet which charges significantly faster :)

I use the USB with a micro UBS with 16gig memory. Fill it up with various playlists etc... And I use the cigarette lighter socket with a twin micro cig socket so I have another 2 which pumps out 2A

this cam in handy for charging up my Nexus 6 and running my Tom tom 6000 when touring europe at the end of May. 

I have one of those in 32GB form and it works fine with the 24GB or so of music on it. I have a 64GB one too, which is a little bigger, but since the 32GB one still has capacity I haven't ventured to try it so no idea if it'll actually work ok with it or not.