tonigmr2

Sell me the GT86 guys

So I've been contemplating one of these for a year or more now, can't make my mind up.  First wasn't sure about colour options, then money...but now have the opportunity of a Giallo for around £25K brand new unreg.  Still can't make up my mind though!

Toyota were nice but I've not felt sold to.  Why oh why do they only ever have autos for test drives?

So chaps, sell me the car.  Why should I buy it? :P

T

Blimey, Toni, you could have driven mine enough times! 

Contact the dealer ask for a manual for half a day and go do that. The supply of Gialla's is running out fast I think. 

Also in comparison to the MR2 scene, the scene for this car is certainly growing and growing fast. :)

So I've been contemplating one of these for a year or more now, can't make my mind up.  First wasn't sure about colour options, then money...but now have the opportunity of a Giallo for around £25K brand new unreg.  Still can't make up my mind though!

Toyota were nice but I've not felt sold to.  Why oh why do they only ever have autos for test drives?

So chaps, sell me the car.  Why should I buy it? :P

T

What else would you want?

So you can hang around with the sailor more often :)

What other reason could you want :P

(Added slightly more sensible reply from TBP)

• Great fun to drive on the road and on the track
  • Comfortable and very capable mile muncher
  • Great MPG for commuting and very good MPG at 70 on the motorway
  • Cost of ownership pretty low (Tyres can last for 40k, £100 a corner for originals, brakes last a while as well)
  • Loads of options for customisation, bodywork, engines whatever takes your fancy
  • Warranty, warranty, warranty
  • Pretty reliable, Lauren and I have covered over 100k between us. Mine had the idle thing when it was a couple of months old, but ECU update fixed it.
Do it. Promise you will not regret it. Special edition will hold it's value better as well

Is it worth having the sat nav on these cars?  Are there different audio system choices?

Personally I find in car sat-nav's to be a tad naff. So I opted to not have it, I use Waze on my phone, works better than any sat-nav i have ever had.. Toyota do a JBL audio upgrade which is better than stock but not great by any means.

Is it worth having the sat nav on these cars?  Are there different audio system choices?

The stock audio is not great (I'm being kind). Given the Sat nav is a £750 or so option, you can buy a very good (better) head unit with DAB for that money and sat nav. Something like my Alpine is around £800 these days. So up to you. I've had the benefit of using the Touch and Go Toyota Sat Nav. I think my Alpine unit has better navigation, it also has Eastern Europe too which I admit I haven't used. ;)

See I'm happy with the standard system, with nav...

I'll agree that if its quality you're after the Toyota unit is really bad, the same as with the satnav, it's found everywhere I've needed to go so can't complain... Maybe if you went more obscure it'll trouble it, I've only used postcodes so far

Toni, each to his own I agree. But there's nothing wrong with the auto box for road use, especially in sport mode.

And an auto box car - the only one on track in the UK - won the inaugural F2 class in the GT86 Cup last year.

Admittedly that's with a £2grand upgrade but that's way cheaper than a 6-speed sequential, which is the only way a manual will box outperform it.

Oh, and it's cheaper road fund tax...

(Awaits anguished screams from the pudding-stirrer brigade..)

Sp[ec K

I think trying to sell it to you, Toni, what I'd say is, that I can happily live with this car day to day as I've proven notching up a bit over 55K miles and counting in just over two years. So I know this car, I know it foibles and I know what I like. 

So it's a cheap car to run, tyres last forever and you're unlikely to have any reliability issues. This is all good of course, the key thing for me, is that yes, I can sit on the motorway with the cruise control on, heated seats warming my bum and back whilst listening to my favourite tunes. This car is good enough at that and economy is good too. 

But, really any clear stretch of road in front of you can be fun. Whether it's that roundabout or hairpin where you disable the stability control in anticipation or whether it's that fast flowing A road, this car is a riot when you get into it. People will go, 'oh but it's only got 200bhp'. This is actually a blessing in disguise. Your licence is less likely to end up full of points and you have to work it to extract those 200 odd thundering horses. This is good. You can't just SLJ the straights and when you approach a corner you want to carry your momentum, well as much as possible. You'll have had a similar experience with your MK3 race car, though the 86 is easily quicker in a straighline than a MK3 MR2. 

The jewel in the crown with this car is it's totally malleable chassis balance which is a lovely thing. And coming from MR2's this car will seem like putty in your hands when you're going sideways. 

And then, well there's the aftermarket. So many options, so many choices. 

Thank me later.  :P