Sign in to follow this  
JamesP1991

GT86 At The Ring In The VLN Series

Hi guys, 

Was trawling through YouTube yesterday for some onboard footage of the Nurburgring 24 hours last year, as being a massive motorsport fan and it being the off season (bar Bathurst 12 hours), I needed my fix somehow! 

In the suggested videos was footage from the VLN Endurance series in Germany, which is basically what the WEC is to the Le Mans 24 hours. 

The car was a GT86 in the V3 class, and I thought the video was really interesting, watching the driver glide our car through the Green Hell amongst slower and also faster SP9 GT3 class cars. 

It is a great watch, so thought I would share it with everyone so you could enjoy it too! 

Great Video thanks James.

Boy oh boy, that guy can drive. He also has very good perception of all around him. Notice him signalling to the faster cars to "come on by".

I think the blue digits on the centre of the dash must be water temperature? 119 degrees!! Wow!!

Great Video thanks James.

Boy oh boy, that guy can drive. He also has very good perception of all around him. Notice him signalling to the faster cars to "come on by".

I think the blue digits on the centre of the dash must be water temperature? 119 degrees!! Wow!!

Not a problem Nige!

When you are driving in the lower classes at the Nordschleife it is all judgement and car preservation! The last thing you want to do is give mixed signals to the fast guys coming up on your rear! It is especially bad at night, and the GT3 cars have different coloured headlights so that the slower cars know when they are behind them! 

I thought it might have been an oil temp gauge at first glance, but it could be water? Not sure! 

The only other thing I noticed was his utter defiance in changing up to the dreaded VERY long 6th gear where our cars just die! Surprised they didn't put in a shorter ratio 6th gear to help offset the lack of torque in 6th! It is bad enough on the motorway, so cannot imagine how demoralising it is down the long and uphill Dottinger Hohe 

I thought it might have been an oil temp gauge at first glance, but it could be water? Not sure! 

I wouldn't have thought it was oil temp James,

Oil gets much hotter than that, especially driving that hard. I've seen the americans recording temps up to 285 degrees fahrenheit, which is roughly 140 centigrade.

As for the 6th gear, would they be allowed to change it in the regs??