Deacon

225 tyres on 7" wide wheels

You could do it, but the tyre is too wide for the wheel.

It won't add grip if that's what you are after, it will also make turn in etc a bit numb and wolloway as there will be added flex to the tyre.

What makes you say it's too wide - I looked on a few tyre manufacturers sites and they say it's ok (although the widest allowed for a 7" wheel) and it's also a standard size fitment on some honda civic for instance?

I take the point about the potential for a slightly wallowy sensation though.

It's too wide, the tyre will be wider than the wheel, it won't give a good steering feel.

As Lee says the sidewall will flex more. 8" rim is optimal for 225 really, that's what I run.

You really want a little bit of stretch, but not enough to ruin the ride quality.

I'm running 225's on my standard wheels which are 7" for TSS and winter whilst my compomotives get refurbed again.

Definitely not the ideal, on the road at the moment they are fine, doesn't feel any less sharp than before.

On track I put 40psi cold into the fronts to help stop abit of the flex in the sidewall (Goodyear eagle F1's) and was very pleased with how it performed, was much better at rockingham than it was at croft when I had around 34psi in them.

The F1's will be going on the compomotives after the refurb and some more suited track tyres on the standard.

Depends on the use of the car and suspension set up, plus what you prefer handling wise. You're more than welcome to try mine if we're ever near each other.

Jamie - I reckon you're a nutter (1) running at 40psi cold..... that's 45psi hot.... yes, it will stop a modicum of sidewall flex but you will be doming the tread and losing grip in the corners...

(1) yeah, well... we all know you're a nutter.... ;) 

Spec K

No worries, whilst I run them I do agree that they're to wide to be optimal, and I will be changing after the winter.

I won't be at the gprm meet unfortunately, it a work mates leaving do that I can't miss. I will be at the Xmas do though if I ever get round to booking the hotel/paying the deposit but I'll probably be getting the train down to save finding. A parking space. Where abouts are you based?