Burn! Motorsport

Introducing Rigid Collars - club offer

Did anyone take up this offer in the end??

I noticed you put some photos of the fitting instructions on the first page, but I can't seem to find them to download and see just how much work is involved... Looking into the rear subframe mounts and so on it actually doesn't look too complicated and almost like nothing major needs to be removed - so I'm still interested :D if no-one else has taken the plunge already of course B)

Could you please either post a link to download the fitting instructions, or post some larger photos so I can confirm my current thoughts :D

Cheers!!

However we do not know which one as quite rightly so, it is patent protected like the concept of the product itself.

During the patent application process (typically 18 months from the priority date for my patent applications) the patent application is published in order for others to make counter claims and potentially fight for dismissal.

Therefore, if it is patent protected, the manufacturer should list the patent or application number(s) associated to protect themselves - this should apply to materials as well as "concept".

Patent applications also take many years from concept to grant, so if the manufacturer only recently launched this product, I'd expect it still to be "patent pending" although the material used may well have a grant.

So, in short, "patent protected" is not the same as "not public/published" - in fact if it's patent protected, it will be public domain information.

Did anyone take up this offer in the end??

I noticed you put some photos of the fitting instructions on the first page, but I can't seem to find them to download and see just how much work is involved... Looking into the rear subframe mounts and so on it actually doesn't look too complicated and almost like nothing major needs to be removed - so I'm still interested :D if no-one else has taken the plunge already of course B)

Could you please either post a link to download the fitting instructions, or post some larger photos so I can confirm my current thoughts :D

Cheers!!

Hello, no on has taken us up yet. Partly my fault. We have all the kits here now so shout if your interested. 

During the patent application process (typically 18 months from the priority date for my patent applications) the patent application is published in order for others to make counter claims and potentially fight for dismissal.

Therefore, if it is patent protected, the manufacturer should list the patent or application number(s) associated to protect themselves - this should apply to materials as well as "concept".

Patent applications also take many years from concept to grant, so if the manufacturer only recently launched this product, I'd expect it still to be "patent pending" although the material used may well have a grant.

So, in short, "patent protected" is not the same as "not public/published" - in fact if it's patent protected, it will be public domain information.

Thanks for that. :) 

Where are you located? 

Do you have a garage in mind for installation, or would you be confident installing yourself? 

Can you carry out the works and complete a write up within 2 weeks? 

I would suggest a process of: 

1. GEO check - Adjustment shouldn't be necessary if correctly aligned already, just a print out to show current set up. 

2. Vehicle test drive

3. Install Collars 

4. GEO check and print out after collar installation. Then adjust to manufacturer specification or as per initial inspection and print out.

5. Vehicle test drive

Obviously the whole installation would need to be documented with images. I am looking for a good honest report from someone that appreciates refined handling. 

As in the post above.  We are offering one front and rear set for testing. 

Here are the installation instructions. They have been loosely translated to english!!!

Capture_zps22f6281e.jpg

Capture86_zpsefc0163b.jpg

If no-one has taken it up, there must be a reason. I admit, I've felt no need to stiffen my chassis, I think it's stiff enough already. I do wonder how superflous a lot of bracing is, though I understand this is not bracing. 

Right, had my alignment done on Saturday, I'll try to post the before and after figures when I get time... Given that it has taken me this long (i.e. since December when I said I couldn't commit until after Christmas, and my little man was born) to get the alignment done, it might take me a while to get the collars fitted and then have the alignment checked again, but if that sort of timeframe is not too much of a problem then send a set over and I'll have them fitted and organized from there...!

Oh, and can anyone point me in the right direction for the torque requirements for the bolts to be removed in the instructions??

Right, had my alignment done on Saturday, I'll try to post the before and after figures when I get time... Given that it has taken me this long (i.e. since December when I said I couldn't commit until after Christmas, and my little man was born) to get the alignment done, it might take me a while to get the collars fitted and then have the alignment checked again, but if that sort of timeframe is not too much of a problem then send a set over and I'll have them fitted and organized from there...!

Oh, and can anyone point me in the right direction for the torque requirements for the bolts to be removed in the instructions??

Replied to PM :) 

So, I did say things happen slowly in my part of the world....

Anyway, have some before and after alignment readings, you can see that my rear toe was out, and I think that is why it felt a bit more frisky than "normal" at the rear...

Needless to say it is now much nicer to drive and the rear doesn't seem to snap out quite so much as before the alignment...

post-251-0-07881000-1434053138_thumb.jpg

post-251-0-28991800-1434053286_thumb.jpg

Anyone found the torque readings for the bolts to drop the subframe yet??

The Four bolts that hold the subframe to the car are 145Nm, the repair manual also says a new bolt should be used.

The two bolts on each side that hold the brace on the front in place are 70Nm, bolts can be reused :)

Hope that helps mate

Cheers, I finally did some digging and found the 5009 page manual on the FT86 Club forum... Which manual did you use? I reckon front crossmember details are on page 3209, and rear subframe are on page 3250 of the FT86 Club mega PDF. As you mention, those figures are for the rear subframe, I believe fronts are 60Nm for the blue circled bolts, and 95 Nm for F1 & F2..

I'm going to have to see where to get the bolts from and how much they are, as well as decide if I think it can be wiggled enough to mean I don't need to take half the car apart to slip the collars in...

Fun all round :-)

Give me till Monday (I've left work now and about to head to Dublin) and I'll get the install instructions for the front and rear, will have all torques & part numbers on and sequences etc. Just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send the PDF's over

Give me till Monday (I've left work now and about to head to Dublin) and I'll get the install instructions for the front and rear, will have all torques & part numbers on and sequences etc. Just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send the PDF's over

Super, ta! PM en route...

Having just watched the video for these I have to say that in my opinion this is total hogwash, they do not understand bolted joint theory at all (to be fair most people don't, but then most people aren't trying to sell products like this!) the "test" driving over the green brick in particular is just nonsense.

An M12 bolt holding a subframe on will be classed as safety critical and so will be at least grade 8.8 and probably grade 10.9, being generous and assuming its an 8.8 then the preload in the joint will be at least 20kN (the same as a 2000kg weight pushing the bush inner collar against the body)

I'd be really concerned that as the collars are aluminium they will fret over time, which could ultimately result in loss of preload, which could eventually lead to lateral forces being reacted by the combined shear strength of the collar and the bolt.

My apologies to the seller but as a qualified engineer who has direct experience in specifying safety critical bolted joints I advise everyone to steer clear.