New Cosworth Supercharger.

Amber are reporting £3995 plus vat (£4794 inc vat) + installation as a 6 month limited offer, would like to know their full price too as 6 months is too early for me to upgrade.

I really want to know more about the supercharger. Am I right in thinking it's more like a Roots type blower? I had one of these on my old AW11 SC. It was great for low down torque, but no good at the top end.

The Sprintex is a twin screw which gives a good mid range and better top end than the roots, though the centrifugal Rotrex type as used by HKS is all about the top end, thus more closely mimicking a larger displacment NA.

So, I'm interested to see how the Cosworth delivers it's power. If it's a great slug of torque in the low to mid range, it's not for me.

Cosworth are using an Eaton TVS blower, roots type but high efficiency. I cant see anywhere whether its the R900 / 1080 / 1320 though.

Sprintex's major drawback is that when you approach the rpm limit and go over it it becomes very inefficient, blowing shed loads of hot air.

Centrifugal: Rotrex (traction driven) / HKS (gear) / Vortech (gear) are essentially belt driven turbo chargers, all very efficient but by design they dont provide the low end oomph that street drivers in particular want, great track option. 

Heres the chart from cosworth 2.0 - very nice broad torque spread

FA20_PowerPackage_Range.png

It's the wallop of low end torque that I don't like. I had that in the AW11 SC, but it ran out of puff at the top end.

I like to rev the nuts off an engine, so I like my power at the top end. I'm weird, yes I know. ;)

Looks like the Cosworth blower is done by 7000rpm.

It's the wallop of low end torque that I don't like. I had that in the AW11 SC, but it ran out of puff at the top end.

I like to rev the nuts off an engine, so I like my power at the top end. I'm weird, yes I know. ;)

Looks like the Cosworth blower is done by 7000rpm.

I don't think you're weird Lauren, I can fully understand why you enjoy revving the engine until screaming, that's your call after all.

Being an ex owner of 3 BNR32 GTR's I can say that I love the mid to upper range "slam in the back" you get from an old school Turbo tune. I also had a new Mustang a couple of years ago. that had the same kind of progressive smooth power and torque curve, still fun, but just not as exciting for your "fun" car. I think I'll give this piece of kit a miss.

The question is whether the roots type chargers give a nice whine and if Adrian could fit it to a non Cosworth stage 1.x car.

I got a brochure through from Ben which I'll try to upload later.

Cosworth have updated their site with the information and brochure:  http://www.cosworth.com/products/power-packages/fa20-platform/stage-2-power-package-range/

Hoping a supplier or two will make a car available for testing, shamefully I've never driven anything petrol with a turbo/SC to know which I'd prefer as a daily and eventual track use.

http://fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_18/5007

I'm half tempted....but do I really want to throw 13k at the GT86?

Before you say "It's only 5k" let me say that the only mod I have at the moment are my wheels.

So will need a zorst(1k), this charger(5k) and inevtably a BBK (and I fancy ap 6 pots up front(2k) and ap 4 pots(2k) at the back- i try not to do anything by halves)then probably a set of coilovers (ohlins(3k) are my favoured brand here)....so all in all 13k required to devalue my GT86 by how much?

Is the cash burning a hole in my wallet?....well it's smouldering a little....

Edit: but it would be nice to find a way to do all this a bit more cheaply

Apparently the kit will work on the stock exhaust but 20bhp down, but I agree I'm not too keen on doing half a job of it. Already got 1.1 so need cat and manifold (2.2k on top of the 1.6 already spent), supercharger kit (5k), then the BBK too, but I'd have to change my wheels for that. There's suppsedly a smaller brake kit coming out for those staying on 17"'s.

Could flog the camera kit to pay for it, but then no more pictures  :(

I could have enough saved within 6 months to get just the supercharger, then add the cat and manifold at a later date but it's a lot of work doing it that way.

I'm suspicious of anyone that mixes metric and imperial on a graph - why have BHP and Nm, why not lbft for torque?

When you first see £4k, it looks ok, but then I think the sprintex or hks would be as good value if you've already got an exhaust and an ECUTek license

I'm suspicious of anyone that mixes metric and imperial on a graph - why have BHP and Nm, why not lbft for torque?

When you first see £4k, it looks ok, but then I think the sprintex or hks would be as good value if you've already got an exhaust and an ECUTek license

Suspicious about what exactly?

The sprintex charger is far inferior to Eatons TVS superchargers at the same given sizes (I've no personal experience with HKS but have Rotrex and they are good at what they are designed to do) Cosworths package is the most extensively R&D tested fit and forget 'kit' to be released and you pay extra for that time. IMO I dont feel the kit is overpriced.

I think the price of 2.0 is very good, but the numbers look scary when factoring in the cost of 1.3 to get the full 280bhp (stage 2.3). It's only slightly more than the HKS system excluding the cobra kit (1.0 + 2.0).

This should be a "shut up and take my money" upgrade but I think for now I'm going to hold off and spend on driver training/track days.

I had a good meeting yesterday at Cosworth sorting a few things out :)

just to clarify a few things ....

The stage 2 kit includes an Ecutek license so if you already have one you will not have to pay again, so £150 + vat deducted!

All Cosworth parts will now be available seperately

To get their "validated" power upgrade ie: 260bhp on stock exhaust, 280bhp on Cosworth exhaust you will require both thermostat and air filter.

Cosworth calibrations for the stock exhaust and the Cosworth exhaust are included.

The stage 2 supercharger kit can be fitted as a standalone solution and you can use whatever exhaust etc you wish, this set up will require a calibration which we will be able to supply a base map very soon.

I'll get back to you with more specs as they are confirmed :)

Hope that helps  :)

Adrian

Adrian,  I understand you can buy the cosworth tune on its own now (for a standard) exhaust.  How much will this cost?  Also, will you be able to tweak it for upgrades (such as after market exhaust)?

Thanks,

Matt