Mark@Abbey M/S

Dynapack Comparison_SC's versus Turbo

Well finally ran a Stage 1 Avo Manual turbo car on our in house Dynapack today.

Makes some interesting reading.

All 3 cars had stock motors

AVO was running a HFC in 2nd cat position
HKS V2 kit was running a set of HKS headers with a HFC again in the 2nd cat position (still running restricted)
Sprintex kit was running stock headers and primary cat 75mm pulley and a de-cat in the 2nd Cat position.

all running 2nd cat back exhaust systems

IqC3cv.jpg
k8Shok.jpg
65WK3h.jpg

RED plot on the boost plot is the Sprintex SC boost curve

good comparisons

So by the looks the HKS just tickles it for the win in my opinion, seems the Sprintex runs out of gas! Low end torque is a little higher. I guess we can see they each have their pros & cons.

Sprintex looks good til 4500, then HKS overtakes

It does show the lumpiness of turbo boost though....nothing until bam it's all there

Makes me wonder what the Sprintex would look like with some nice headers (maybe like the Cossie ceramic coated ones) and a HFC in the 2nd cat position

The HKS charger is a HKS unit, not made by Rotrex ;) Also remember the HKS car has an aftermarket manifold which will help.

Yep fair enough, did the faux pas of saying hoover instead of vacuum cleaner. I thought the power curve was more indicative of a centrifugal supercharger and the corresponding characteristics that you would expect. 

Yep fair enough, did the faux pas of saying hoover instead of vacuum cleaner. I thought the power curve was more indicative of a centrifugal supercharger and the corresponding characteristics that you would expect.

I think the HKS system is slightly better than some of the other centrifugal systems at lower RPM. It would also be the only other option I would consider, better than the other 2 (or 3?) Rotrex kits and preferable IMO to the Vortech.

The HKS charger is a HKS unit, not made by Rotrex ;) Also remember the HKS car has an aftermarket manifold which will help.

The manifold may help but the HKS still has a restrictor which can be bored out a little (or removed - not on a stock engine though) to give more power. Not sure on the limits of the stock injectors.... 300Hub?

The manifold may help but the HKS still has a restrictor which can be bored out a little (or removed - not on a stock engine though) to give more power. Not sure on the limits of the stock injectors.... 300Hub?

Does removing the restrictor not change the characteristic of the curve? This argument can go both ways as you could say that changing the turbo or putting on a smaller pulley will also boost figures. I'm not trying to detract from the HKS, the V2 looks great, much better than the V1 and has good potential. It's also well priced at the moment.

More like 300/320 flywheel max for the Injectors and fuel pump.

I think the sprintex is a great kit but they all have their pros and Cons.

I would assume some of the lower end torque on the HKS comes from the fact that it is being restricted so yes if you make the restrictor bigger i'd only expect to see and increase in the top end power.

What you are saying is true but you can bore out the restrictor plate for free where as a new turbo will cost money and the Sprintex is already at full chat with the 75mm pulley.

The HKS does cost £4.2k though....

The only thing missing from this test is an Avo & Sprintex combo, loved to see what that would look like on the Dyno....could you pair an Avo with an HKS charger? Is there enough room?

HKS have a twin charged car....