Steeps

Steeps' GT86 (Cosworth)

Not sure how to go about writing this as this upgrade came about sooner than I'd hoped but as the modifications have begun it's time for a thread.

This is my first "serious" car (if you can call it that, the amount of fun it is) and I hadn't planned to mod it until I was sure on what I wanted, then Cosworth came along but the prices were silly.

I made the mistake of saying when the price is dropped to a more reasonable level I would start investing in the kit, and I hate saying I'll do something then not do it, so I did it.

Had the kit installed on the 19th (Stage 1.1, I'm not that flush with cash!) which was an awesome Birthday present to myself, followed with a driver training day on the Sat with Cat which allowed me to learn more about the car in a "safe" environment (tractors!)

Anywho, you're only here for the pics, so here's a link:  http://dansteeples.co.uk/portfolio/index.php/galleries/gt86-cosworth-stage-1-1-install.html

hopefully more to come  :D

Glad to see that someone has taken the plunge. I had a ride round Blyton Park in the demonstrator, only as a passenger though. It did feel quicker due to the remap, though I did find the exhaust resonates at high revs and that was with a helmet on. 

Please let us know how you get on with it. I think for most of us, we'd already started adding mods, so the package from Cosworth came a bit late for us. 

Good to see one installed, like Lauren said, I think had they not launched it so late more people will of taken it up. That said as the price of the 86 comes down, people will start whipping them up used and we should hopefully see more of these. Hopefully you can notice a difference? It certainly seemed to go well at the trackday before the TSS at blyton.

Like Lauren I passengered the Cosworth car at Blyton.

For an n/a it feels quick... but the most impressive thing for me is their brakes, the stopping power is awesome.. I will definitely consider these when I uprate my power..

Spec K

It certainly feels different, more responsive and perkier. I love the sound from the outside but the inside is getting a bit of getting used to as I had the sound tube blocked since owning the car, might try it with it unblocked. It's still quieter inside compared to an F-Type. I can certainly live with it and I'd rather have the noise than no noise. I didn't have any issues talking at Millbrook with helmets, mapping at Fensport without helmets, and I've not had to turn the radio up any further than usual on the commute.

It's a shame they were late to the party but at the same time I am glad they have joined, it also gives credit to companies like Fensport who have worked on the car and are getting similar results with a lot less resources available. The only reason I went with Cosworth is because I like the idea of keeping the car as a package, so when the lottery win comes in I would like the brake kits (supposedly new ones coming out), eventually a supercharger and whatever toys they throw at it. I've not put the badge on as I don't think the car has had enough done to say it's a GT86 Cosworth just yet.

Insurance wise, I usually run a few quotes to see how my year might be affected, after the Cosworth launch I found Aviva wouldn't alter the price and they were also very competitive, so just before I had the kit fitted I called them to confirm the changes and they agreed no further charges would be made.

I have had this installed for a couple of months now. Also stage 1.1.  So far so good. I echo the comments from Steeps about the kit. I'm going to Cadwell again in October to try it out on a track. 

I am looking at getting this kit to add to mine as an alternative to selling as the price seems to be dropping far too quick  :( anyways have any of you done any video of the exhaust noise ? mrs shiftspark has told me NO more noisey exhausts so hoping its not too loud  :)

Cheers

I am looking at getting this kit to add to mine as an alternative to selling as the price seems to be dropping far too quick  :( anyways have any of you done any video of the exhaust noise ? mrs shiftspark has told me NO more noisey exhausts so hoping its not too loud  :)

Cheers

You won't want this exhaust then, it's ear piercingly bad on full chat imo. Really needs toning down a bit.

It's not quiet, especially on startup. Either it's settling in, or the cold weather helps, or I'm just getting used to it but it seems better after this time. I can try and get a recording but it's not really going to give a sense of volume unless I can record it side by side with another stock car.

As mentioned above, I've always had the sound tube muted as I like the sound of the engine. Once it gets to 5.5k revs I can finally hear the engine over the exhaust. If I get some time this week I'll see if I can get some filming done, I'm about to get sacked so will probably have more time on my hands  :D

It's not quiet, especially on startup. Either it's settling in, or the cold weather helps, or I'm just getting used to it but it seems better after this time. I can try and get a recording but it's not really going to give a sense of volume unless I can record it side by side with another stock car.

As mentioned above, I've always had the sound tube muted as I like the sound of the engine. Once it gets to 5.5k revs I can finally hear the engine over the exhaust. If I get some time this week I'll see if I can get some filming done, I'm about to get sacked so will probably have more time on my hands  :D

Sacked ! sorry to hear that.I have found some good video on rallysportdirect youtube chanel and it shows all the stages, the problem is hearing it through my computer is not great compared to real life.

I will have to get along to a meet where someone has one local to me.

Thanks

Cheers

It really is unbearably loud and that was with a helmet on when I got a ride on track. The problem is it seems to really resonate at high rpm, making my ears bleed. 

It's probably okay-ish cruising around but I did find it to be louder than other aftermarket systems. 

Steeps car IMO was not particularly loud and I would suggest the stage 1.2 (thoguh I havent heard it) with the Helmholtz Resonator in the front pipe will not be much worse. Its the Non-catted exhaust manifold on stage 1.3 that makes it seriously loud and this is true of most non-catted exhaust manifolds for the FA20 that actually make power.

It was always going to be a compromise for cosworth to produce an exhaust system in stages. They would have had to make the cat back and front pipe very quiet (when used with stock manifold) to make it more barable with their super-duper mainifold.

As a guess they probably assume only hardcore would bother with the mainfold as you dont see the gains on the 3inch exhaust until you are trying to go much higher in power (think 380HP the SC is capable of).

Steeps car IMO was not particularly loud and I would suggest the stage 1.2 (thoguh I havent heard it) with the Helmholtz Resonator in the front pipe will not be much worse. Its the Non-catted exhaust manifold on stage 1.3 that makes it seriously loud and this is true of most non-catted exhaust manifolds for the FA20 that actually make power.

It was always going to be a compromise for cosworth to produce an exhaust system in stages. They would have had to make the cat back and front pipe very quiet (when used with stock manifold) to make it more barable with their super-duper mainifold.

As a guess they probably assume only hardcore would bother with the mainfold as you dont see the gains on the 3inch exhaust until you are trying to go much higher in power (think 380HP the SC is capable of).

I don't think ".. most non-catted exhaust manifolds..that make power.." are noisier. Because you do not address the options that are available to avoid the death wish of voodoo pin-sticking neighbours...

First question is n/a or f/i?  With n/a my prototype (Abbey) decatted standard exhaust manifold produced an extra 5bhp and was no louder (when a hfc replaced the second cat). Abbey prototyped the non-catted 'standard' manifold which (I think) is still being used by Knightryder with his lumpy-grumpy... and Mark still has the jig if anyone is interested..

With f/i you go one of two routes. You will need better exhaust sound consideration with a s/c car but it's no big issue, just stick a bigger (longer) hfc (or two) and a resonator in the system and make sure the back box/silencers are efficient. With a turbo you have the intrinsic sound-deadening of the turbo... options are open.

It is just such a simple, simple, job to cut/shut the midpipe and put an interim box/hfc in it. I would go for the hfc, of course... sound and emission reduction  is good. I'm a duplicitous person, haha..

I may be totally wrong here but I'm sure someone told me that Cosworth had gone 2.75" on their exhausts.

If that is correct please confirm... I have comment to make about this, as it is neither one thing nor the other.

Spec K