keelerad

Toyota Oulton Park track day

It was bloody good !

I met up with Tim (Chopper602) and Steve (Toyokid) on arrival, put a stack of Drivers Club postcards on the sign in desk and went and got breakfast.

Saw Senna (he was actually in the '86 but left at Lunchtime) and Greggo who was also on the Toyota day last year

Bit of a madhouse in the paddock as its BTCC on Sunday, so they drove us down an access road from the Fogarty Center where we had breakfast and we joined the track at the bottom of Cascades and drove round the track to get to the pits.

Towing eye in then a few sighting laps with no overtaking then the open pit day started.

Had a free session with an instructor (kelly) at 10.30 then fitted the video camera to the car

Unlike most times I'm on track I was actually one of the faster ones there in the morning session (Paul was there and fast as usual) and got to overtake a lot of people

The vids are uploading to you tube now will embed them in a minute 

Pitlane in the morning before the sighting laps

What a brilliant day! Turned up with Richard, he spoke to the nice man at Toyota and I was on. Had a fab afternoon tyre and supension testing and given a few passenger laps. Yes I got black flagged in the first session for too much tyre noise. Sounds a bit weird that they don't allow squealing tyres but I get the impression that my only option was to slow down really. 

Once I purposefully took a few of the corners slowly but still pushed through my favourite ones like Old Hall, they seemed to accept that and I was alright for the rest of the day. 

It was good to go out with Alec. Good technique but you should learn to heel and toe: 

http://www.mr2.net/trackdayqueen/heelandtoe.htm

I said to him about not using enough track and then he takes Richard out and does a 720 through Old Hall. I heard it from the pit lane! 

Overall a brilliant day and I met a fair few new faces, all great fun. :)

A massive thanks to Richard for twisting my arm. ;)

10401979_10152051619066467_8347784987187

At the moment I'm still trying to get using all the track on the exit correctly without overdoing it and spinning (I got my black flag for that)  :rolleyes:

Once I can go fast whilst staying on the track then I'll try heel and toeing it

Alec

Was fun watching the vid Alec. Every lap I had to go slow through Lodge because I was worried about getting too much tyre squeal and another black flag! 

Nearly run out of petrol in the morning, the car hesitated on the approach down to Lodge and I'm thinking "What's going on I'm not hitting the rev limiter?" then I looked down to see if I had a CEL and noticed needle on bottom stop and petrol pump light on, so dived into pits without a slowing down lap.

Convoyed round track to Cascades back up service road to Fogarty Moss

After lunch we were convoyed back through the BTCC paddock as it was being set up then back on track (again try playing vid if its still upside down come back later once youtube has done its stuff)

I've been playing with the data logging from Torque I did when I was doing the video run with Lauren. I've synched the speed data against the time and created a captions file to attach to the video in youtube, so now you can see what speed the torque app said we were doing at the time, Unfortunately the clocks in the camera and phone weren't synched but by looking at the GPS co-ordinates vs what I can see on the video I thinks its pretty close, Note they don't start until 22s in. Enjoy

Nice one Alec!

You guys really had some fun out there.... this was the second time I'd applied to do Oulton, alas without success.. still, Blyton Trackday should be fun..

Spec K

Awesome stuff you guys, still jealous that you rocked up and got in on the action :D  Just wish Toyota did more of these, not necessarily free one but at least at a subsidised rate like Renault do with Renaultsport owners.