smudge

Smudge's supercharged V8 build

1 hour ago, SL03JOE said:

YES YES YES YES!

I like this a lot! Seems to be going very smoothly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really is mate. We thought the tunnel would be a real issue but everytime we line something up, it's almost like it was made to fit!

Final designs were sent off to the laser cutter tonight so we should have a full set of mounts tomorrow/Friday which Nev can then use as part of a kit for anyone else wanting a 1UZ swap

I reckon we'll start building the block and have the charger mounting position by the end of the week :) 

Another busy day was spent taking out the interior, test fitting the bucket seats, creating a mount for the 5 strap on my harnesses to bolt onto and obviously continuing with the engine

20160525_151414_zpsryyq3nap.jpg

Seat just about fits!

20160527_115519_zpsrgldcwrd.jpg

Engine mounts are finished and sent off to the powder-coaters to be made a little prettier.

Gearbox mount is also finished, you can see where we've used the original mounts that we chopped off and welded back into the tunnel a bit further back for the BMW box.

20160527_172743_zpstemlgeuf.jpg

Both the OEM and BMW box have the same mount for the shifter, just needs to be made a little longer due to the BMW box being around 2 inches shorter

So engine block and gearbox are all mounted in position, next was to start drawing up ideas for the location and mounting point of the supercharger, oil reservoir and lines for the charger, inlet and outlet pipes for the supercharger and routing for pipes for air filter and intercooler

Nev and Lee will be continuing to work hard on the car over the next few weeks and I'll be popping in whenever I can to help out and get updates. All coming together nicely! 

Been a bit quiet recently, but that doesn't mean no progress!

This is where we're at so far:

• Engine built
  • Manual gearbox adapter plate finished
  • BMW 6 speed gearbox mounted to the engine
  • Engine and gearbox mounts finalised and powder coated
  • Rotrex supercharger mount made
  • Upgraded driveshafts (capable of 600bhp) fitted
  • Kaaz 1.5 way differential fitted into OEM diff housing
  • OEM propshaft cut down to size
  • Injector looms made and ECU almost finished

We are almost there! We're just finishing off the ECU connections to the dash, pipework for the supercharger and waiting for the chargecooler to arrive as well. Not much left to do before we start her up for the first time 

Also picked up my front bumper after having the holes in the number plate filled in and a full respray to get rid of all the stonechips I've picked up. Local bodyshop did an amazing job as always. I was tempted to take the whole car there to get everything done but it's not a priority right now

IMG_0946_zps2vd0tajx.jpg

Test fitting the new coloured badge which has been sitting in the garage since I had the interior sprayed

20160615_182710_zps9tt4kznq.jpg

Wouldn't even be able to tell there were holes in the bumper previously

20160615_183045_zpsevz844mt.jpg

20160615_183036_zpsqybowedh.jpg

We're still aiming to have her completed for a show on 26th June...time is tight but we're still confident

1 hour ago, Gringosteve said:

How much mapping time and run in time will be needed before you can put your foot down?

www.tuned.org.uk

No idea yet but remember this isn't a newly built engine like the last one was, she's got 53k miles on her with all the standard internals. These V8's are fairly bullet proof up to about 600bhp so in theory I should be able to boot it as soon as we've got the mapping sorted.

Then again we still need to run in the new diff which apparently consists of driving in a figure of 8 for 30mins and then doing an oil change on it...:huh:

The many transformations/mods this car has had, you could never sell it! Well I wouldn't be able to anyway.  

I've sold my 86 but im still hanging around to see this done! Hats off to you. 

2 hours ago, smudge said:

Unfortunately not much really bud, had issues with faulty and delayed parts like flywheel, charge cooler and ECU in recent weeks. Just been unlucky!

Ah that's a shame! Looking forward to seeing this all come together!

3 hours ago, Dan7954 said:

The many transformations/mods this car has had, you could never sell it! Well I wouldn't be able to anyway.  

I've sold my 86 but im still hanging around to see this done! Hats off to you. 

Cheers Dan :)

So as above, we've been really unfortunate with some parts recently. Just seems that everything we order, either is out of stock, turns up broken or faulty...not fun!

On a more positive note, there really isn't a lot left to do. It's a case now of:

• Finishing the pipework for the supercharger
  • Finishing off exhaust manifolds
  • Fitting and configuring ECU

Not a lot in terms of a list but fairly time consuming jobs nonetheless

I've had to put off various shows throughout the year which is slowly killing me, so I made the decision to go all out for a really promising show called "Gravity" based at Stoneleigh Park near Coventry. It's organised by Slammed UK and was basically a selection of hand picked cars for the show, so the standards were high. With the hotel being booked months ago, we got the engine and gearbox mounted so I wasn't going to miss this one!

20160715_133736_zpsgzbytxfw.jpg

20160715_133744_zps5hf4wtbw.jpg

20160715_133751_zpsanc4p6or.jpg

This meant an EXTREMELY long weekend consisting of hiring a transporter from near Gatwick and collecting the car from Brands Hatch

20160715_203557_zps6ig286pg.jpg

20160715_203611_zpsekuvywy3.jpg

Taking it over to my friend near Heathrow for good clean

20160715_173619_zpsrc9ywbqu.jpg

20160715_195320_zpsyiigftjp.jpg

And then back to mine near Croydon. Saturday was then spent failing to fit some new parts due to the battery finally giving up after 9 months of no charge, changing the wheels over and driving up to the show Saturday night to drop the car off in the main event hall

20160716_115659_zps8tk8pbxy.jpg

20160717_115206_zpsscayyrgh.jpg

20160716_164635_zpslpyrk2pu.jpg

20160716_164601_zpszqucp7om.jpg

Adam was at the same hotel as me so with the girls we had a great evening over some good food and many many many many beers.

The show itself was fantastic. So well organised and the standard of cars was amazing. Needless to say I got some attention by arriving on the back of a transporter and everyone commended me for the determination to get my car there which made it even more worth while

The best part of the whole show was just seeing people's confused faces as they looked in the engine bay. The V8, particularly with it's new colourful rocker covers, is very striking and gets people asking sorts of questions. I just can't wait to finally get her up and running!

The last few weeks have been extremely frustrating. Numerous parts have either been delayed or arrived faulty/damaged - our luck is just so bad at the moment it's unbelievable

However, we are still making slow and steady progress. A sneaky picture I was sent earlier today of the finished exhaust system

received_10208314122183409_zpswzqc2hqs.j

Nev is doing everything he can as quickly as he can. He's just as frustrated as me at the delays which have been out of our control and wants to get this finished before end of August. Finger's crossed no more delays!

1 minute ago, Keethos said:

What kind of problems have you been having Jordan?

Parts either being delayed for whatever reason, turning up damaged (had a flywheel arrive with 2 teeth missing?! and was then another 4 weeks to wait for a replacement as they were on back order). First ECU didn't do what we wanted it to, so we switched to another brand and their first one was faulty...

Just anything that is out of our control has gone wrong. Oh and quite a few people on Nev's yard that are assisting with powder-coating or machining new bits are on holiday which never helps either.

Our new target is JAE on 10th September...I'm praying everything goes well for that. Getting so sick of not having her now :(