smudge

Smudge's supercharged V8 build

I've considered this a few times when a Chelsea tractor tries to drive over me. What did you do with the oem holes in the parcel shelf? 

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

I've considered this a few times when a Chelsea tractor tries to drive over me. What did you do with the oem holes in the parcel shelf? 

Intec provide little strips of fabric to cover them but they look lousy. I re-covered the parcel shelf when I did mine.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

3 hours ago, Varelco said:

Intec provide little strips of fabric to cover them but they look lousy. I re-covered the parcel shelf when I did mine.

Yep, exactly what I'll be doing with mine. Just one large piece of felt to cover the entire shelf

Been playing around the the grille in the front bumper, as I hate how the OEM one looks. 

Simply unclips from the bumper, before I started cutting out the middle to leave the edge. This way, I can fix the new grille into the surround and clip it back into place. 

Bought a few different style of mesh off eBay, but decided to go for a plastic hexagon style as it looks best and will be easy to plastic weld into the remaining surround. Waiting on the final piece to be delivered before finishing it off. 

IMG_20200411_123731.jpg

IMG_20200425_200555.jpg

IMG_20200426_123027.jpg

IMG_20200426_123326.jpg

IMG_20200426_145427.jpg

IMG_20200426_145415.jpg

IMG_20200501_161342.jpg

This thread has been like a book I could not put down. Highs and lows, so many lessons learned and for a total rookie like me, absolutely intriguing to see you swapping out pretty much everything for high performance parts. 

Keep going man, the car looks/sounds bloody fantastic inside and out. That supercharger whine.... You've done an awesome job. 

Thanks for detailing every step so well too. Really inspiring for rookie modders.

Cheers Smudge.

Leonard

Apologies for the long absence! Been a funny old year personally, meaning the car has been put on the back burner slightly... 

Now back in action with lots of things happening, so I'll try and get as much of an update in this post as I can remember! 

First and foremost, I finally got the newly built engine back from Rogue Motorsport after MANY issues with parts 🙄 Matt, Patrick and the team have been amazing! This project has tested the limits of their patience, yet they've still gone above and beyond to deliver the end product. 

It was then back to Carson Performance to put it all back together, using the existing parts that it was fitted with last time. Piece of cake, right? 

WRONG! Even the engine mounts which were EXACTLY the same for the old engine that went pop, didn't want to play ball and needed slight modifications to fit the new engine in place. Literally cannot catch a break.... 

The new intercooler that sits in the intake manifold under the supercharger, is made by the same company that make the intake manifold. So should be made to fit perfectly, right? Wrong again! Yet more slight modifications required. 

So yet again, stupid little things holding us back from getting this running. Like the water outlets for the intercooler fowling on the heater matrix water pipes. REALLY?! 😓

But, as always, Carson Performance have overcome every issue this project throws at them and made up some custom water pipes that are slightly shorter than the ones supplied, meaning it all fits into place nicely. 

Hopefully not too much longer now, but who knows what else this thing come up with to test us? 

IMG_20200807_174222.jpg

IMG_20200807_174233.jpg

IMG_20200807_174253.jpg

IMG_20200813_171156.jpg

IMG_20200813_171139.jpg

received_226598835456538.jpeg

IMG_20200901_160711.jpg

received_3232542563449598.jpeg

received_357936035375783.jpeg

IMG_20200901_160829.jpg

IMG_20200901_162913.jpg

Good to hear progress is being made, although I'll bet it's so frustrating given how many issues you've had. This project must be getting on for five years now. Still, hopefully you'll make Japfest next year! :)