smudge

Smudge's supercharged V8 build

That's a real shame, but obviously hindsight tells you, you should have checked. A decent mechanic would have put a sticker on it saying 'oil', so you knew though. I think you will be going down a bit of a development road sorting out all the niggles and what gives when you do get round to finally giving it a good run. It's all that stuff that takes the time, making the car reliable. All these things are to be expected. Real shame about the diff though. But chin up, you've got three weeks or so till Japfest. 👍

11 hours ago, smudge said:

. Unfortunately we've run into yet another issue where Nev didn't think to put any oil into the diff once he'd changed it to the Kaaz 1.5way that I supplied. So the on-road tuning came to an abrupt end with the diff locking up at 60mph. Luckily no damage or injuries to the people involved but it looks like the best part of a grand has gone up in smoke. 

Does everything that guy touch turn to sh*t or what? Glad that no man or machine got hurt, that could of very easily been a different story!

In hindsight it should have been checked, yes. But with everything else we have going on, it never crossed our minds.

We might have a very clever solution which I'll reveal soon enough, incorporating a lower ratio diff to accompany the diesel BMW gearbox. 

The aftermath of not having oil in your brand new Kaaz diff.

Crown ring and pinion are shot. Luckily the diff unit itself has only sustained cosmetic damage to the case. So it can still be used with a new C&P which is the best outcome we could have hoped for really.

Somewhat relieved but still pissed off that the individual that changed the diff in the first place didn't have the common sense to add any oil into the mix 😠 (not Carson Performance by the way)

BIG thank you Tom Hudson for his knowledge and help on this. He was only supposed to be mapping it for me 😂

received_2067772753515199.jpeg

received_434137780481002.jpeg

Yet more nightmares for the V8 build.

Tom at Fensport got the mapping absolutely spot on for me to cruise it to Japfest this weekend, only to have this happen under no load whatsoever.

Gutted is an understatement, and I really feel for Tom who's done nothing but his best to get this on the road. Resulting in it trying to kill him twice!

Options going forward? New engine with more expense and effort? Or just give in to the fact that it clearly isn't meant to be and split the parts that are on the car?

received_335569533812599.jpeg

received_333854217327994.jpeg

received_401408357111637.jpeg

I have been following your thread with a lot of interest and while its a hard one to say, i think with all the time and effort put in and hiccups along the way, this should be the last straw. Cut your losses and part out will be my suggestion, sad though it is.

17 hours ago, smudge said:

Or just give in to the fact that it clearly isn't meant to be

Fuck that noise! Assuming it's not making you destitute and your heart's still in it I reckon you should keep going. Sorry it's been such a nightmare so far though, second thoughts are to be expected!

3 hours ago, Adamd said:

Fuck that noise! Assuming it's not making you destitute and your heart's still in it I reckon you should keep going. Sorry it's been such a nightmare so far though, second thoughts are to be expected!

It's a tough call either way. 

Christ you have absolutely no luck do you. Gutted for you Smudge. 

I'm not sure what id do in your position but I'd imagine the overwhelming first urge would be to break it. I would cool off for a bit then make a rational decision.

Just read this from start to finish. Sounds like you have had rotten luck.

Just try and sit back for a few days / a week so you can get things straight in your head. 

Its an amazing project but if I had your luck with it I would be struggling to carry on.

Do you know what's actually caused the piston and Rod to come through the block. Is it the same as the fa20 where a torque spike can cause a hair line crack to appear and then its just a ticking bomb? Forged internals? 

7 hours ago, Luke said:

Do you know what's actually caused the piston and Rod to come through the block. Is it the same as the fa20 where a torque spike can cause a hair line crack to appear and then its just a ticking bomb? Forged internals? 

As @vanko25 said, it turned out to be a thin rod engine rather than the thick rod version which is what it was sold to me as. They even swapped the fuel rails over to the earlier version which is how you tell the difference, so a full deception plan to lie to me.

Another lesson learned I guess. 

Damn thats down right wrong!

It which case I'd definitely swap the block for the early thick rod block. Can you verify with the engine number for the next one. This is of course after you've kicked the bin enough to vent your frustration over this. 

16 hours ago, smudge said:

As @vanko25 said, it turned out to be a thin rod engine rather than the thick rod version which is what it was sold to me as. They even swapped the fuel rails over to the earlier version which is how you tell the difference, so a full deception plan to lie to me.

Another lesson learned I guess. 

Do you know they swapped the fuel rails over? Or maybe the person that sold you it assumed it was an earlier engine because of said fuel rails.

6 minutes ago, rob275 said:

Do you know they swapped the fuel rails over? Or maybe the person that sold you it assumed it was an earlier engine because of said fuel rails.

I can't say for sure, but I assume the worst of people.

5 hours ago, smudge said:

I can't say for sure, but I assume the worst of people.

After all the problems you have had with this build that's hardly surprising.

Ah man gutted for you!

My sentiments follow others here, you've spent all this time and effort getting it to this stage. You'll never get that back parting it out and you'll have nothing to show for after!

Put the car to the side for a bit, cool off and then get back on it in a few months. Or maybe ignore the big issue being the engine for now and focus on the small wins and little jobs that will keep you feeling progress is being made

Think to the future - In many years time this will be a story to tell people...that one time you almost gave up hope on this build but now shes here and awesome

1 hour ago, slickrick said:

Ah man gutted for you!

My sentiments follow others here, you've spent all this time and effort getting it to this stage. You'll never get that back parting it out and you'll have nothing to show for after!

Put the car to the side for a bit, cool off and then get back on it in a few months. Or maybe ignore the big issue being the engine for now and focus on the small wins and little jobs that will keep you feeling progress is being made

Think to the future - In many years time this will be a story to tell people...that one time you almost gave up hope on this build but now shes here and awesome

Very well put, exactly my thoughts :)

After much deliberation, listening to the kind words from friends, fellow 86 owners and other general car enthusiasts, coupled with an extremely generous offer from Carson Performance - I finally picked up a 3rd 1UZ engine today from a reliable source in an attempt to finally get this thing on the road once and for all. 

I'd like to thank everyone again that's helped me over the past few weeks. Your enthusiasm and motivation to want an end result to this nightmare for me has spurred me on and I don't think I would've made this positive step without your input.

Tom at Fensport has been an absolute trooper despite the car wanting to kill him twice now, I can't thank him enough for his endless patience and advice over the past couple of months. I'll be collecting the car from there in the next week or so and arranging a weekend with Simon at Carson Performance to do the switch. 

IMG_20190518_143528.jpg