smudge

Smudge's supercharged V8 build

No engine progress just yet, still sorting a few ECU/base map issues. Should all be sorted for Monday, hopefully.

In the meantime, Michelin Pilot Super Sports mounted to the 2Forge ZF1 wheels and fitted along with the Todoroki 30mm wider front wings too.

Fitment looks spot on, just a tad of fettling to be done where the wings meet the sills.

IMG_20181228_195352_660.jpg

IMG_20181228_195352_662.jpg

20181228_153616.jpg

IMG_20181228_195352_664.jpg

26 minutes ago, Luke said:

Wheels are important! Come on I need the first fire up video followed by some dyno ripping torque videos!!! 

Sorry to keep you waiting!

I've been in a bad place since new year for work and personal reasons, so I haven't even seen the car myself for a couple of weeks.

Luckily, Chris from Phoenix Engine Management who did all the custom loom has been an absolute saint! Still working on the Motec map remotely in his spare time without me even asking. I can't think him enough for his efforts and I probably would have lost all interest if it wasn't for him.

I'm due to catch up with Simon at Carson Performance and Chris tomorrow, hopefully to get some more progress as it's been a tricky start to 2019 with various mapping issues.

Still a way to go yet, but we're making steps in the right direction.

Dyno time probably won't be for a while due to funds as the cost of my mapping guy and a dyno for the day will be a fair whack. But the initial fire up video shouldn't be too far away now.

Whilst Chris has been dealing with all the mapping issues, it's given us time to sort out a fuel leak, a water leak and get a new supercharger gasket from Ford USA. All the little niggly bits that you forget about and just take up way more time and effort than you'd expect.

Fair play Jordan, I kept checking this thead  for over a year and thought it was dead in the water. Glad to see the progress that's been done in the last few months, really happy for you bud.  So close to being done after all these set backs.. you couldn't make it up! 

I'll check more regularly now I know.  Looking forward to the vids!

2019 has been a bitch so far. Work has been challenging, personal issues with health and even the dog having various trips to the vets has nearly put my over the edge. Which lead to me putting the car up for sale last weekend. 

Having been identified as one of the major problems for my health issues (yes, a car has added to my illness...) I felt it was time to move on and let someone else take the GTV86 journey forward. 

However, I wasn't aware that the guys at Carson Performance knew of my issues and had been working in secret to get some life injected into the car. I was brought to tears when I received a video of the below during the week, honestly couldn't believe it.

Despite my negativity, they've kept themselves motivated to surprise me and keep my hopes for this dream alive. 

Still a few little things to sort out like a stronger bracket for a pulley where the power steering pump usually is on the 1UZ and an adjustment to the fuel pump electronics. But it's another massive step closer to being back on the road.

Enjoy the video, make sure to turn your sound up!

On 2/27/2019 at 12:31 PM, smudge said:

Been on the edge of my seat reading this thread over the past fews weeks. Getting my excited about saving up and buying mine(will be my second car upgrading from a 1.2 clio 😂

When I started reading I was expecting this thread to end in like 2016, can't believe and feel sorry for you that its had to run for so long because of some idiots 

Can't believe you put the gtv86 up for sale(I can see why though) this thing sounds like an absolute beast and imho think it would be silly to sell it as the end result looks like it'll be worth all the pain and anger 

7 minutes ago, JDP86 said:

Been on the edge of my seat reading this thread over the past fews weeks. Getting my excited about saving up and buying mine(will be my second car upgrading from a 1.2 clio 😂

When I started reading I was expecting this thread to end in like 2016, can't believe and feel sorry for you that its had to run for so long because of some idiots 

Can't believe you put the gtv86 up for sale(I can see why though) this thing sounds like an absolute beast and imho think it would be silly to sell it as the end result looks like it'll be worth all the pain and anger 

It's still a tough call. Financially and for personal reasons it makes sense to get rid once it's done, but I've not made up my mind yet

1 hour ago, smudge said:

It's still a tough call. Financially and for personal reasons it makes sense to get rid once it's done, but I've not made up my mind yet

I get where you're coming from. Maybe you'll just fall in love after a full map and a track day 😉 

I'm normally a quiet person, I don't post much but I've been itching to say something, and I don't want to sound like a d*ck.

Speaking from experience, keep it. I haven't had as many problems as you but my god its fun.

Your build thread actually helped me decide this is what I wanted to do (as my engine broke) and I was convinced it was an easy swap by the man, the legend, our best friend Nev himself :| ...

I only have a basic 1UZ, no heads, cams, supercharger, just the stock engine and its awesome.

FB_IMG_1545755217359.jpg

FB_IMG_1545755217359.jpg

FB_IMG_1545755433175.jpg

FB_IMG_1545755437675.jpg

2 hours ago, JamesyBoy said:

Your build thread actully helped me decide this is what I wanted to do (as my engine broke) and I was convinced it was an easy swap by the man, the legend, our best friend Nev himself 😐 ... 

Nev is only good for parts. And even then it's touch and go... He's lost all motivation to actually do projects, he wants to be a retailer as there's less work involved 

Lovely little update today from Simon at Carson Performance, managed to sort the clutch issue so SHE MOVES! For the 1st time in over 3 years it is moving under it's own power! 

Just a couple of small bits to attend to and then it's off to the bodyshop on 12th April in preparation for it's first show since 2015!

Been a busy few weeks with fine tuning and tweaking the map, along with getting ready for her 1st ever MOT! 

As you can imagine, I've got parts in various locations at a result of this lengthy build, so I'm missing basic things like seatbelts and side indicators 🤦‍♂️ but should all be sorted in time for Tuesday. Fingers crossed! 

Car was picked up today and taken for it's first ever MOT. Only 3 years late! 

The all important PASS was issued, car now taxed and pretty much ready for the road :)

Off to have the mapping tweaked over the next few days and then it'll be back to finish off little bits like interior, undertrays and a well needed deep clean! 

Bodyshop has been put on hold until we sort the bonnet out. 

IMG_20190409_140619_129.jpg

IMG_20190409_140619_132.jpg

4 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Fantastic news. Does this mean you still need the steering recall doing? 

Can't wait to see it on the road and importantly in time for Japfest! :)

Yep, need to get that booked with Richard but ideally try and solve the power steering issue before then. Must be a Motec calibration thing 

The 86 God's giveth and they taketh away... 

So the issue of the power steering was solved by simply finding the missing ECU and reconnecting everything. As to why it was removed in the 1st place? F**k knows... 

The car was taken from Carson Performance earlier in the week for it to be sent off for tuning. Unfortunately we've run into yet another issue where Nev didn't think to put any oil into the diff once he'd changed it to the Kaaz 1.5way that I supplied. So the on-road tuning came to an abrupt end with the diff locking up at 60mph. Luckily no damage or injuries to the people involved but it looks like the best part of a grand has gone up in smoke. 

We've also uncovered a few more niggling issues which need to be sorted for reliability down the line. Nothing major, but the list looks to be a multitude of 30min jobs here and there. 

So although she's taxed, MOT'd and insured, she's not ready for the open road just yet.