Sign in to follow this  
speedy

Moar Servicing

The orange car finally has some time off, and it went for it's *slightly overdue* service today at Toyota Guildford. I think we're over the busy period for that car, so the accumulation of miles should rapidly drop off.

IIRC it's got somewhere over 43k on the clock, and it had been starting to do it's idling thing again. Not anywhere nearly as bad as when it was new, but after idling for a while it would start to hunt. Other than that and the squeaky brakes (which are Carbotech related), no problems with it at all.

So, they couldn't make it hunt, which is fine, it doesn't really do it that often, and it's a PITA to try and reproduce in the workshop. They put the shims on the pads, but it still squeaks - which is fine because.. you know.. Carbotech. Then the conversation took an unexpected turn. After I checked that they had put the shims on the Service guy said to me "we took a recording of it", er, ok. "We'll send it to Toyota technical to see if they have any ideas". I double checked that he understood it had aftermarket pads on which are more noisy anyway. He understood. "Toyota technical reckon that they might have a solution to the squeaky brakes, so we'd like to try that for you to make the car as good as possible". I said ok, so we'll see what happens.

I strongly suspect that Toyota technical will just say - non-standard pads, you can take a running jump, but I guess it's worth a punt.

In other news - he reckons that they have seen & serviced other GT86s which are well >50k and all running fine, so 43k isn't big news :)

Rumour has it that the Aussies are getting a new G series ROM which we suspect to be the same as the latest US ROM that is to do with improved idle controls. The UK & Europe also use the G series so there may be a new dealer update available soon if that's worth a punt....

I'm waiting on it to filter through ECUtek as they tend to get them before the dealers do.

Not bad going. Guess see what happens with the pads. Mine seem to have stopped squealing for the most part, though that might be because there can't be much pad left after 38K. Also it seems that the sprinting has helped quiten them down a tad. 

i hear alot of people going on about squeeling pads, i have a 14 plate  and done nearly 600 miles and no signs of squeeks or squeels yet?  maybe they changed the compounds slightly for newer cars?

Give it time. They tend to squeal more when you drive it harder on the road. 

drove it gentle for 300 miles, at the moment slowly giving it more, but i must say im not gentle on the breaks which be why it isnt squeaking much possibly

My squeaking comes and goes, just got used to it now :P

that will be the faimly of mice under the bonnet, may want to call the exterminators ;)

Yeah, my Toyota pads didn't squeal much when the car was new, then they started after a couple of months.

Like Lauren says, abusing them on track seems to help keep them quiet. 

Interesting about another potential ROM for idling controls. Will see if the dealer knows anything about that one (I doubt it, but worth an ask :) )

Current, most up-to-date UK/Euro/Aus Manual Rom:

ZA1JA01G

The new one is:

ZA1JA02G

Auto is just a different letter at the end, I can't remember off hand which (F/H).

I bet that most are on the old ZA1J700G, there is also cal that most would have been "updated" to on the early idle issues and that's ZA1JA00G.

So, brakes update. Turns out that if you put the anti-squeal shims on the pads they are a lot quieter. Who would have thought? They are now a much more sensible level of squeakyness, perhaps normal GT86 squeak with an added dash of Carbotech squeal sometimes.

In other news they cleaned and valeted the car. Forgot the spokes on the wheels are actually supposed to be shiny.. and it's much nicer inside now they've cleared the dashboard of all that dust.