LFA

ICE Challenge

I have a Pioneer AVH8400BT which I installed in my BRZ which, frankly speaking , is turning out to be....... not meet my requirements. ;)

Anyway I'd like to change it, so here are my needs;

I'd like much better sound quality than stock ( and the Pioneer )

I'd like a simpler interface

I'd like it to weigh less than the stock headunit/speakers ( by 'it' I mean the whole ICE; any headunit, amp and speakers.) I have a weight for the original brz dino unit.

I'd like it to be single din ideally

It should support my Apple Iphone 6 as prime source, ideally wired, plus BT, without any hassle.

No need for any native Nav, DVD etc

In scope; changes to headunit, speakers, added amp, wiring

Key stuff; less weight, sound quality

Fairplay; £250 to Keethos repair fund for the best proposal.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/amplifiers/two-channel-amps/jl-audio-xd200-2

I have http://www.rainbowcaraudio.com/sax265-20.html you can buy 

and http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/bluetooth/head-units/pioneer-mvh-8300bt-usb-digital-media-receiver-with-bluetooth

What the weight would be i'm not sure. Generally better speakers have larger magnets so to ask for better quality but less weight for them is hard given the current speakers are probably made of cardboard. I haven't seen them but OEM ones usually are...

I reckon there is a kilo to be had on the headunit from a mainstream manufacturer. Does anyone make ultra low weight units?

Could I get away with front only speakers?

I would personally just do fronts. I had just front in all my previous cars and it sounded perfect. You don't have rear speakers in a studio you just have monitors ;)

The rear speakers are pointless. 

Really though a sub is what you need to compliment the front speakers. But ditch the rears, you don't need them. 

Also an amp and a DSP. But it will add a lot of weight. I would go Alpine for the head unit. I don't think there is such a thing as a low weight head unit, but I might be wrong. 

Assuming the Subaru has the same speaker as the GT they are so light and horrid can't see how your better them and stay light weight. There will need to be a compromise somewhere. The rears you could remove and the tiny weight saved can go towards the weight of the new fronts :) the rears as said are a pointless I don't use the just front and sub.

Generally better speakers have larger magnets so to ask for better quality but less weight for them is hard

The answer is neodymium magnets.

I play bass and have a 1200W 2x12" +1" tweeter bass cabinet that weighs a mere 42lb. Believe me that is light for that size of rig.

The drivers in that have neodymium magnets which is how they are so light.

I also am looking to improve the sound quality in the 86 but wanted to keep the HU.

I opted for the oemaudio+ reference400cf kit which provides 2 x dash tweeters, 2 x carbon coned door woofers, 1 x 8" sub in custom enclosure, 1 x 360W DSP amp. 1 x 120W sub amp and a loom designed to plumb the whole thing into the existing loom and keep the stock HU.

It adds 20lbs overall but for me seems a good solution. I hope - it is due to arrive this week and I hope to install it this weekend.