Keethos

Keethos' GT86 Journey Back To Health + Mods

Thought I'd create a blog like thread to keep people updated with my car and how I'll go abouts getting my baby back to full health again.  The plan so far in my head is source as much of the bolt on stuff that I can fix myself as I can while getting the cutting, welding and painting done professionally.....this will hopefully save me money while getting the car fixed to a decent standard......well that's the idea anyways I think.

I spent the day up at RRG Macclesfield today with Rich (big thanks for being a star, working with us there as he's supposed to be off work all week but here he is helping me sort my car out and getting it looked at) along with Dave who was there being a legend as usually supplying me with some spare parts that he had lying around while continuously pimping his car up even more, so a big thank you to you too Dave!

After Dave had his car sorted, in went my car and thanks to Gary who fitted me Dave's spare wing mirror and then had a look at the washer bottle.  Sadly the bugger got pushed back and punctured a small hole and one of the pumps had cracked in half too, so Gary just bunged it up (luckily it was the head lamp washer pump which is broken at the other end anyways so no use to me, I just want the windscreen to get sprayed) and then he silicone sealed the small hole in the hopes to make it watertight (we will find out tomorrow when I top it up with washer fluid).  Gary also had some issues with the wing mirror as firstly the door wouldn't open properly cause the door was catching the front fender, but Gary gave it a quick tug with a crow bar and now the door opens fully no problems (bar some creaking) but then he struggled to get the old wing mirror cable out properly as the outer door skin had been push in a bit reducing the space inside but again, Gary prevailed eventually.....Big thanks to Gary!

While the car was up, we had a quick poke around and again, couldn't seen any issues from underneath, though still with all the panels and stuff in place but we're pretty certain that it's all good mechanically.....100odd miles from London to home and then another 200odd mile from home to RRG Mac and back again with a bit of spirited driving in-between disclosed no issues at all. 

After the car was now drivable without getting neck pains from not needing to twist my head around to see what's down the left of me, we wondered over to the body shop in Manchester for it to be looked at and get quoted on (which Rich will sort out next week when he's back in work officially).  Closer inspection to the front bumper and lamp area, looks like the lamp will need changing as the plastic brackets have snapped  :( (not guna be cheap unless I can find a second hand one) and the front bumper brace thingy where the bumper and the lights attach to seems to have shifted across slightly, this either means rejigging it across slightly or cutting a section out and welding a new piece in  :wacko:  And obviously still no idea what damage I may have caused to the sub frame under the front fender and the under seals but touch wood there's either none or very little work needed  :ph34r:

So here's an update pic:

sM47kQdi2fTjmq4NCORb-WL1Gzp0IlQ871-BKTgM

Sorry I couldn't be there Keith but I was at work in Nottingham, if you are getting anything done in Macc/Manc the spare room is always available

Alec

Thanks Alec, that's good to know....but I don't think the family will appreciate the rumblings of my snoring....though hopefully that will be changing shortly, hopefully it's be the sound Darth Vader instead :D

Good on you, Keith... all sounding really positive, mate! 

Hope that all the subframe work is simple/cheap and you can source bits at the right price..

Spec K

Glad it only looks like Body panel damage! At least the chassis and car is still usable! 

Might be worth going for some aftermarket parts for things like the head lamps? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FT86-FT-86-GT86-86-ZN6-CCFL-Angel-Eye-Projector-Headlight-BLACK-US-Type-TOYOTA-/331166345323?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Might be hell of a lot cheaper than ordering bits from Toyota? And improve the look potentially at the same time? 

I know a few FRS guys in the US have fitted Aftermarket JDM bits to get the Daytime LEDs that we have. 

Again glad you're okay and the metal is on the mend! 

I am most impressed with your level headed approach.

I really don't think i would be able to hold it together the way you have over the last few days.

I would have been in bits.

I hope you manage to source all the parts at affordable prices and that the chassis really is straight and that your pride and joy recovers to full health soon.

Good luck Keith

Keith, great blog style thread, great to hear the updates, and Im keeping an eye out if I see/hear of any parts that could be of interest.

Silver line is the UK's biggest slavage company. Leave them your details and if anything comes in like a bent 86 you will get the call. If they don't have one no one will. Cars go in to them whole. Is even new cars that airbags deployed etc.

Worth a shout. Also there is a red cat d 86 on auto trader. Dealer might of put new body panels on etc. Long shot but even a bulb and a few screw will help. Look it up.

Thanks guys, I've seen websites like 1stchoice.co.uk and breakeryard.com where you fill in a list of parts you need and then they get sent to a load of breakers who will then respond to say if they have any or not so will be filling in some of those at some point, might check out silverlake too.

Just another quick update, the washer bottle seems to be holding fine so big thanks to Gary at RRG for sealing that bad boy up.

Started to send out e-mails to breakers via breakeryard.com and 1stchoice.co.uk with a list of parts that I'm looking for initially, this being the bonnet, the front bumper, the front bumper under-tray, front passenger side wing/fender, front passenger side wing/wheel arch liner, the passenger side door and the front passenger side xenon headlamp.

I'm sure there will be other parts I'll need but I think these are the main/big items I'll be needing so far that I can just bolt on myself.

Frankly I think we are (uniquely) fortunate in having RRG as committed support dealership.

There's Keethos, bashing off to find bits and pieces as cheaply as possible and, push comes to shove, a "body shop" has to bring it all together...

There is only one...

Thanks to Lauren/Alec for 'introducing' RRG to this band of happy bunnies... may RRG take over all UK Toyo dealers and bring their exceptional 'force' into play..

Spec K

Glad to see you are making a start, Keith. I think it'll take time but you'll save yourself a lot of money if you do it bit by bit. 

I think in time the parts will turn up. Did you get any joy from Patrick at Rogue?

No not yet Lauren but I heard on face book that most of the stuff I need they've butchered to make new parts with, but I'll swing by theirs at some point to see what they have available.  I've messaged Adrian too but not heard back from them yet.

A question to those in the know how of insurance companies, if I was to genuinely have a road accident now, what would my situation be like?  Am I covered for the whole car, am I only covered to the state it's in now or am I not covered at all?  Any ideas people?

Being the cynical person I am, if someone hits you, I would expect their insurance to try and wiggle out of paying you because of the damage already on it - they would probably claim it wasn't the result of the accident or that the damage can't be proved especially if they hit the passenger side.

To be cautionary, I would have photos of your car all around now and if someone does hit you, you can point out the before / after accident shots.