Lauren

Performance brake pads?

I've got an expensive month coming up. I will need tyres, brake pads and probably new discs too. 

The standard brake pads have lasted incredibly well managing 36K+ including a few trackdays and a few sprints and quite a few mountain passes. 

They are not bad on track, but do cook a bit. I did three passenger rides back to back at the sprint last weekend and they were really starting to smell. To be fair they were still working okay, but I'm not sure they would take another lap of abuse. 

So, the Stoptech's are cheap in comparison. 

There is the highly regarded Carbotech XP8's which don't seem to come with new backing/anti-squeal plates. That would be a problem in my eyes cost is expensive, more than standard pads I think. 

There is also a TRD option. Not sure on this one. 

Thoughts welcome. 

I will be going for OEM discs, think they are perfectly fine. 

Haven't used the XP8's myself on an '86 but within the GT4 world they are easily the best upgrade for the standard calipers, they can squeal a lot though and create ALOT of dust, you'll be forever cleaning those red wheels... Expensive but you get what you pay for, can't comment on life though.

Not seen much of the TRD, what about EBC's or Ferodo's offerings?

I run Stoptech's pads and disc's.  First coupe push's of the pedal in the morning they don't have the same bite as when they are warmed up of course, but not in an OMG I going to pile into the back of the cars at the lights way more of a a bit more push on the pedal, pleased with them wet, dry, track or road, seem a good all rounder, probably should add my car is NA doesn't have any performance add ons.

I'm running StopTech rotors and Ferodo D2500 pads at the front which feel really excellent. I'll get Ferodo rear pads as well before the Woodbridge Spint event. The brakes are fine from cold, but respond really well after a couple of hard dabs at speed to generate some heat.

I've just recently put on my Stoptech pads and kinda agree with Forge, they don't feel all that when cold but it gets there but they're still bedding in and the true test is on track, see how they cope this Monday.

Adrian suggested the TRD pads or the Ferodo pads if you're willing to spend the cash, then the Stoptech which as you said are cheaper.

I've just recently put on my Stoptech pads and kinda agree with Forge, they don't feel all that when cold 

That's enough to put me off. Cheers though. 

They'll be worse in winter though. 

Possibly not had really cold weather to try have used them in just above 0 and ok , I think it be hard to find a performance pad that is both good stone cold and hot. I did research a bit when I bought these and it's pretty subjective really reading all the reports in the end I just bought something to see pads are easy to change (though some are costly!), that said easy to swap out if not happy, probably worth trying Keethos brakes first thing and see what you think.

2500s work well from cold for me, but a bit squeaky

Same here. Like Forge I'm using Stoptech rotors/DS2500 all round.

Squeak like blazes in reverse off my drive every morning and 'graunch' immediately after a wash/valet (just burning off the rust, I reckon - goes within a couple of hard dabs).

Big improvement for me was going for Castrol race brake fluid (RSF?). Needs changing mebbe every six months with excessive heat/track use but gives a much better pedal feel. Not cheap though..

Spec K

Lauren have you thought about stainless steel lines too? Huge improvement on brake response and feel.

Might be worth a thought if you're changing the pads anyway? Steel lines are only around £70. And probably one of the best improvments for brake feel and response.

Not at the moment, Jay. 

I find the stock brakes to be perfectly adequate for what I'm using them for. I've got a set of used stock discs and pads (kindly donated by Dave) going on in a few weeks time. 

In the future I might try uprated pads.