Lauren

TEIN Flex with EDFC Active-Pro

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Depending on where you mount the controller you would probably be best taking a power and ignition feed off the back of the stereo. You’ll also find A few earthing points behind there as well.

Thanks Luke,

my main concern is not to attach the feed to a circuit not designed to handle the current requirements. The controller won’t draw much, so so the head unit feed will likely be more than enough.The front and rear driver units may well be drawing a bit more though. 
I sent an email to Yukiko to ask her opinion so hopefully she’ll reply in the next day or two. I have to wait for the GPS sensor I only just ordered from Fensport in any case. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Rear driver unit - mine is placed passenger side in the rear quarter. There'll be an easy tap in point there as the cabling for the lights/boot run down that side. You then just route the cable to the drivers side motor along the back of the rear seats and back to the motor.

Front driver unit - mine is placed behind/above the glove box, again, plenty of places you could tap into because of the stereo wiring etc.

Controller is generally placed over the passenger air bag light below the stereo so you can pick up a power source from the stereo again.

Earthing points - plenty behind the stereo, just pop an eye connector on and re-use an existing bolt. For the rear you can use one of the light nuts, just file some paint off so you get a proper contact to the body panel.

Same as Lauren though, RRG in Macc fitted mine as I didn't fancy working out how to route all the cabling at the time I fitted but I'd probably do it myself now as it's not a difficult job really. When you do the motors, just remember they are different thread sizes front/rear... don't be an idiot and keep trying the wrong size like I did :D 

Thank you Mike. That is very helpful indeed. I was struggling to think where to fit the front driver unit. I saw pictures somewhere where someone had fitted the rear driver unit into a cutout in the polystyrene boot liner. Although they fitted it heatsink side up I would still worry about putting something designed to be a hot heat sink into a material that is an insulator. I like your ideas much better. 

I also saw the GPS very neatly fitted into one of the front dash speaker pods, under the mesh grill. That looks ideal as well as long as there’s no interference with picking up the requisite number of sat links. 

I agree with you in that the overall job of fitting them is a pretty simple one. I’m looking forward to doing it. Also, after a mispent youth carrying out jobs on cars and motorcycles with zero planning I have turned into a ‘measure twice, cut once’ person now, especially when it comes to £800+ worth of kit. 

If I make a good enough job of it I’ll make sure I take a bunch of photos for anyone else that decides to go the EDFC route in the future. I’d had the shocks and EDFC sitting on a shelf in the garage for a year and was desperate to get it fitted and working (just after I bought it all I came down with serious osteoarthritis problems in both knees which put me out of action for months). 

I can’t wait to have it up and running properly before my next day at Goodwood, which I am planning for late Sept early Oct. I want to have a good amount of time to fully configure and fine tune it first so I spend less time messing with it at the track, and fit more sessions in. 

I’m looking forward to meeting everyone at Japfest next year, and maybe even a track day meet if one happens sooner than that. 

7 hours ago, Lauren said:

Hi Richard. It needs to be a feed when the ignition is on. RRG Macclesfield fitted mine, so I don't know what they used in that respect. My TEIN setup with EDFC Active Pro has been on my car for 130,000 miles and 6.5 years now! It still works faultlessly and I've never had  an issue with is. I expect the next national meet is going to be Japfest Silverstone next May. I will have my new car by then, but my fiance should be there in the GT. :)

Thanks Lauren. I’m really looking forward to meeting up with people. My last meet was Japfest 2018, just after I had got my car from the shipping company after returning to the U.K.  That was what confirmed my plans for fitting S/C and more. It’s taken this long to realise those plans. Now the fun should begin, apart from bloody Covid-19 messing things up. 

If you have any track days planned before next year give me a shout and I’ll see if I can travel up and meet you. 

What new car are you getting by the way?

I've got the GPS unit stuck to the top of the head unit, works mostly fine. It did have a period of misreading the speed but not sure if that was just poor signal as it rarely happens. Apparently the stock GPS unit for the satnav is on top of the head unit so shouldn't be an issue.

The only issue with it stuck on top of the head unit means I need to take the vent out above the head unit, then unstick the GPS unit before removing the head unit. Not something you need to do often though...

5 hours ago, Septic said:

Thanks Lauren. I’m really looking forward to meeting up with people. My last meet was Japfest 2018, just after I had got my car from the shipping company after returning to the U.K.  That was what confirmed my plans for fitting S/C and more. It’s taken this long to realise those plans. Now the fun should begin, apart from bloody Covid-19 messing things up. 

If you have any track days planned before next year give me a shout and I’ll see if I can travel up and meet you. 

What new car are you getting by the way?

No worries you are welcome. I reckon I'll be doing a track day around January as the new car is apparently going to arrive sometime in November if all goes to plan. I have a GR Yaris with circuit pack on pre-order since March! :)