rob275

Snetterton Trackday 25th Jan 2014

Glad you got back ok Ian, I tried to keep you in my sights for as long as i could in case your car completely died! Let us know the verdict on it when you can!

Been into Toyota today the car is leaking from four places, blowing at the head, before & after the turbo one of the gaskets is completely missing, not great for my first track day since going turbo & in the wet.

Been into Toyota today the car is leaking from four places, blowing at the head, before & after the turbo one of the gaskets is completely missing, not great for my first track day since going turbo & in the wet.

That's pretty sucky, but atleast it's nothing serious just a bit of a PITA!

I like our synchronised overtakes at ~10:50... followed by my silly overtake in to the left hander!

As for my rattle, it's not at any revs in particular but I *think* it's just the common issue with the boot / "parcel shelf" making a noise so nothing to worry about (I hope)

Ian, I am gutted for you...

.. but... can I go through it with you, as I've probably been through most of these..?

Firstly - I presume that, when you say "..blowing at the head.." you mean the exhaust manifold gasket? I think this is probably due to two items, both caused by increased temperatures that results from forced induction  -

- AVO need to upgrade the manifold flange thickness/material so that it doesn't flex as much under the higher temperatures.

- the standard exhaust manifold studs/locknuts expand at different rates under these increased temps.

These are not an issue with road-going conversions (as I understand it) but both will be rectified by Fensport/AVO under guarantee and are progammed in for future installations. Adrian gave me his word/performed on that..

When you say the gasket "... before/after the turbo.. " are leaking/missing I am perplexed. I cannot conceive that Fensport have left out a gasket! and if it's leaking "..after the turbo.." it's down to the turbo outlet - overpipe flange. Yes?

The exhaust system you are using from overpipe onwards - is it UK spec? Did you import/buy something different? Could it not be that? - it's warping under extreme temp?

Ian - you've got an ".. .exhaust leak...". You have a modified car - it's not something covered in the "toyota we fix all" dealers manual.but what Toyo dealer actually knows wtf they are talking about on this stuff..?

Like you, I went ape-sh*t... cost me two visits to Fensport to nail it...  I am still not there, as my H&S interface is blowing after Snetterton.. but exhaust leaks are not teminal, merely irritating. You've got a noisy car at the moment - so have I - but we both have time/dedicated experts to sort it.

Spec K

Keith luckily for me the Toyota dealer I purchased my car from has a good friend of Adrian's working there, He has looked at my car & suggested some modifications to Adrian.

It was him who told me that the manifold gasket was blowing & it was also leaking before & after the turbo, When the kit was installed I opted for the upgraded gaskets, now I don't know how many came with the kit
but from what Ive been reading you don't get a manifold one with the kit, also in November AVO released a new gasket kit & studs that I guess my kit wont have.

Its also been suggested that you use some RTV Silicone Permatex Ultra Copper with the gaskets.

BTW over pipe is Milltek  & Berk catted front pipe with ark grip cat back.